Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What .40 loads are the pros using these days?

10ring

I would guess 180 gr JHP's with fast powders like N320, N330, Titegroup, Clays and the like.  I really don't think it matters what someone else is using, what matters is what (1) functions reliably in your gun and (2) what load combo you are able to shoot the best in terms of tracking the sights in recoil and followthrough/recovery.

Just my $.02,   other opinions my differ.

I'm not a pro but:

Clays with a 180gr is my favorite load in the 40.  If the 'best' accuracy is a must (as in 50yard standards), then I use 7625.

Titegroup has gained a following, but I don't like how blasty it is.

320 works very well, but hits harder (in my gun) than does the clays.

according to the poll in last years front site magazine was 180gr projectiles made by montana gold and vihtavouri powders. this poll was also taken at the 2002 factory gun nationals, look for it to come out in a furture edition of front site.

Thanks for the info....  The gun in question is built around an SV frame/slide with a tungsten sleeved scheuman barrel and tungsten guide rod.

I'm sure there's a lot to it.  I was hoping that there was some magic load that worked "the best" most of the time so I didn't have to buy a selection of powders and bullets in search of the perfect combination.

180g bullet from Zero, Montana Gold, West Coast, Berry's, or Star...  no lead.

V.V. 320 or TightGroup

NO brass marked  "F C" or  "A-MERC"

The 40 is a fairly high pressure round.  The powders used are fast.  Be careful, work up, watch for pressue.

(The use of the Lee FCD (Fatory Crimp Die) seems to help ensure that the bullet is held in the case with neck tension...thus, helping to prevent bullet set-back, which would raise pressure.)

Thanks again Flexmoney!  You're just a wealth of information!  First the Marvel conversion unit, now .40 Limited loads!  Wow!!!

I was thumbing through a old American Handgunner magazine last night and came across an  article on the 2000 Nationals.  3 out of 4 shooters used a 180 gr bullet and 3 out of 4 used VV N-320.  The forth one in both cases was not the same.  Anyway looks like a trend to me which lines up with what you said.

Thanks again.

Try this for starters...

200 gn west coast or star fmj w/ n320, start at 4.3 on then work up...4.4 made major on the chrono in my hotrod.  Use small rifle primers.  Careful with brass!  Just finished 2000 rounds of this, gun track excellent, cycle rate great.  Thumbs up!  Now trying 180's.

Does everyone recommend small rifle primers for the 40 S&W loading?  I've just recently started loading 38 Super +P for compensated gun and learned that small rifle primers were the way to go for that hot-rodded round.  I didn't realize the same should be done for the .40 as well.

OK, I'm new here so go easy......what's difference between Rifle and pistol of the same size. They are the same price, what am I looking to gain.  No, really, I am asking an honest question.  Do I have to change charge weight with them?

Also on the loading question, on STI/SV guns, they seem to like oal of 1.200+  Mine ain't finicky in much else, but VV320  / West Coast  seems to be the best combo for me.  Cleanest too. And I think the West Coast is the cheapest way to go "Lead Free"

Also, here's a trick for shooting once fired brass or glock brass out of the 40.  If your using a dillon die or any other, take about 200th's off the base of the sizing die.  I did this with a shop grinder.  This will insure that most of the bulge at the base of the shell will be covered.  STI/SV guns are very particular, once you get this done then case check.  You should be able to elimate many problems by doing this little trick.

Rifle primers are the way to go.  Have a variety of applications from pistols to rifles.

WOW:

I don't usualy post over here but this is what works for me in 3-gun competition. A West Coast 200 gr. bullet and 4.5 grs of WW 231. This makes major, "just", out of my S.T.I. and seems to have the benifit of heavy bullet/ fast powder soft felt recoil. I hate to say I use about any brass, and small pistol primers. Matter of fact almost all my brass is Federal. I sort brass by how the primer "feels" when seated and loose ones are reserved for practice durring snowy months ( fire and forget). I chamber check ALL my match ammo and so far seem to get about 7-10 reloadings per case. This probable doesn't help but it has worked for me.      KURT