Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low profile Electronic muffs

chp5

I'm looking for low profile electronic muffs that (1) don't get moved when I get a cheek weld on a long arm, and (2) don't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

The prices in this area run from $50 - $350 :surprise:

Any good experiences?

Here are some I'm considering:

Caldwell Emax lo pro

Howard Leight Impact lo pro

Peltor Tactical 6

The Peltor is the only name I recognize - but they look the fattest below the ear - where it can hit the stock.

Thanks for you thoughts.

I'm looking for low profile electronic muffs that (1) don't get moved when I get a cheek weld on a long arm, and (2) don't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

Any good experiences?

Caldwell Emax lo pro

Peltor Tactical 6

The Peltor is the only name I recognize - but they look the fattest below the ear - where it can hit the stock.

I have a pair of MSA Sordin that i really like. They are more confortable than all the others I have used over the years. Volume controls and battery life are very good.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I have the Peltor Tacticals (whatever number?).

Maybe it's just me and my cheekweld but the strong side "muff" still hits the stock.

I just switch out to ear plugs only (the cheap foam ones with the plastic cord connecting the two) for shooting the long guns.

That plastic cord is just long enough to tie them around my neck when I am not shooting or between shooters shooting the stage.

Edited by Chills1994

Any good experiences?

Caldwell Emax lo pro

Peltor Tactical 6

Thanks for you thoughts.

I use the Peltors. In fact, my second pair as my first set were stolen :( . I liked them so well I replaced them .

Midway has them on sale from time to time. Botach has them at a great price ( $ 55 ) but they do not have the best rep for CS. ( use at your own risk )

I had the same problem you escibe with them hitting teh stock. Esp shooting trap. What I did was flip them over. Peltor sells a non electronic pair called The Shotgunner. It is designed to not interfere with the stock. I You can take the 6S and flip it over the same way.

For the price, I'd be tempted to get the Caldwell ones. Worst case, they get thrown in the range bag as a spare or for a guest.

Edited by warpspeed

I had the same problem you escibe with them hitting teh stock. Esp shooting trap. What I did was flip them over.

Yep - it seems that the Peltor T6 is made upside down - the fat part is at the bottom.

The Caldwell seems to have a better shape to help avoid hitting the stock.

Cy,

it's not a direct answer --- but whenever I'm shooting long guns on stages that require something other than a perfect upright stance somewhere, I put plugs in under my muffs. It's simply too easy for me to break the seal of muffs when shooting a long gun to take the chance on damaging my hearing....

When shooting handguns it's typically only on prone or Cooper tunnel stages that I plug up....

I had the same problem you escibe with them hitting teh stock. Esp shooting trap. What I did was flip them over.

Yep - it seems that the Peltor T6 is made upside down - the fat part is at the bottom.

The Caldwell seems to have a better shape to help avoid hitting the stock.

They just unclip and flip over. Takes 2 min.

whenever I'm shooting long guns on stages that require something other than a perfect upright stance somewhere, I put plugs in under my muffs.

Good advice Nik - I do the same thing.

Warpspeed - good to know the T6 can be changed - that's the way they should be.

For the price - I just bought the Caldwell. I have a rifle class in Feb and want something that I can hear people talking with and still keep my ears warm :D

Look for any of the sporting clays models. I use the ProEars Dem. 2 SP (sporting clays). They are made for shotgun shooters. For rifle shooting, sometimes I still use soft plugs and the ProEars over the top and the same while RO ing rifle.

Edited by elynch2007

I use the universally acclaimed ;) Sordins, and they are great.

However, I did pick up a pair of Howard Leights as a spare/loaner because a local shop had them cheap on special. I found that while "low profile" in the sense that the ear muffs are relatively thin when viewed from head on, the footprint of the muffs (i.e. the foam ring resting on your head) actually felt quite large to me and interfered with my cheek weld when tested with an LMT SOPMOD stock.

I've been using some Silencio thin profile, non-electronic, with foam ear double plugging. It's not electronic, but really muffles and are extremely light, and they do not bother cheek weld.. They do not let you hear much, but you can hear the beep. They are 15 dollars and you can still get some Peltor 7s Tactical for electronic use when you are not shooting. They are not that bulky or that expensive. The best are Pro-Ears Dimension 2 (so you can listen to Mozart when not shooting), with the cutouts at the bottom-they are only a small house payment. They are really good on planes, too.

I got a set of the Howard Leigh muffs from Midway on sale. I like the way they fit and the amplification of voices works well, better than a Caldwell set I have. They feel light and don't squeeze my head as tight as others I've tried. The noise muffling is OK for me shooting Production, but they don't block out near enough if you're hanging around Open shooters. I had to put in supplemental ear plugs to RO the guys with those loud contraptions. They work better for rifle/shotgun than bulkier models, but I still just go to my custom plugs if I'm shooting 3-gun or whatever. It's just easier to me.

• 2 weeks later...