Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rescomp mag

Rocket35

just measured,

my two Rescomps measure .953 about half an inch below the mag catch hole which is the fattest point on the tube. A couple of my STI's measure .938 at the same area, also the fattest point. And HSMITH is correct they are just blued..

Once they swell the first time they are on the fast track to the garbage can. It is a 'half life' type of thing. They do things no other mag will do but they do not last. Toss them and get a couple more. Used appropriately they can be a useful and worthwhile tool, used like any other magazine they are VERY expensive.

The rescomp 138mm .40cal mag I have is .020-.030" wider (right-left) than any of my STI mags. I suspect this is the binding issue.

I'm not in the mood to push metal around. It's going back. The good news is that this sounds like an anomaly. My hope is that a replacement tube be within tols.

Just so I'm clear on the idea-of-usage for these mags....

-Some say the mag doesn't drop free, but they're ok with that because the 2 extra rds are worth it? (WOW. Interesting POV. Not how I roll, but interesting)

-Some say use the mags only when needed (22-23rd stages) because of inferior metallurgy. (sounds reasonable)

-Some say the mags require a breaking period before they drop? (I'll bet your not breaking-in the metallic magazine, more likely the plastic pistol grip is widening).

My old reliable 20rd reloadables are looking more and more attractive....

Another thang, do you think the advent of the mags (not to mention SNL bases) will spur more mag length inspections at major matches?

The rescomp 138mm .40cal mag I have is .020-.030" wider (right-left) than any of my STI mags. I suspect this is the binding issue.

I'm not in the mood to push metal around. It's going back. The good news is that this sounds like an anomaly. My hope is that a replacement tube be within tols.

Just so I'm clear on the idea-of-usage for these mags....

-Some say the mag doesn't drop free, but they're ok with that because the 2 extra rds are worth it? (WOW. Interesting POV. Not how I roll, but interesting)

*Some stages yes....

-Some say use the mags only when needed (22-23rd stages) because of inferior metallurgy. (sounds reasonable)

*Same conclusion as the first statement....

-Some say the mags require a breaking period before they drop? (I'll bet your not breaking-in the metallic magazine, more likely the plastic pistol grip is widening).

*Mine drops free now after using it a couple times, but not enough times to widen the grip...

My old reliable 20rd reloadables are looking more and more attractive....

*The 22-23 round capacity has given me an advantage on a few stages already....

Another thang, do you think the advent of the mags (not to mention SNL bases) will spur more mag length inspections at major matches?

*Mine are all legal so I have no real concern if they do...

I feel it is a worthwhile investment. I haven't found my mag to be no less than 100% reliable, but still don't use it all the time. I use it when the purpose suits and my 21 round mags loaded to 20 rounds on every stage. All told mine didn't cost much, if any, more than a "tuned" SVI mag.

Ive been using SPS for a little while. Strange I can practice mag changes all day and not have any problems but come the big match whammm the mag sticks in at least one stage out of twelve. Stangley I never had any mag change problems in steel framed grips

After tuning the mags all seemed ok, and I even took material out of the mag catch... sadly it didnt competely solve the problem. I switched back to my trusy SV mags but that didnt cure it either.

After some thought it was obvious the sticking mag was down to one thing, me and my technique. In certain situations I would not releasse the pressure of my strong hand which crushed the undercut grip and snag the mag.

The lesson for me was to be aware that customization of your STI grip can cause rigitity problems. Personally I always prefered steel framed grips anyway because it offers better feedback, so perhaps my answer is either stick with a standard grip or buy the new SV grip and be done with it!

• 2 years later...

I received a rescomp body and the Bolen internals today...

Put it togather and it only holds 21 rounds :(

Anyone else have a hard time getting it to hold 22?

I have a couple of these, I used grams internals and they hold 21...22 is really pushing them...thought about switching to the bolens internals to see about the 22nd round, just waiting for the springs to wear out.