Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have gun, will travel

This story might be interesting or it might not.

I do feel that it must be told since I met som many wonderful people in my shooting life.

Well it all started in 1984 when I went to my local magazine store to buy the monthly plastic modelling magazine and found out that it was sold out. In the magazine rack next to it there was a magazine called American Handgunner that I had never seen before, nor was I interested in guns at the time.

Since I had a long train trip ahead of me (Doing my military service) I thoght that it might be interesting to read something else than the regular stuff you read on trains so I bought it.

On the cover there was a guy called Robert Leatham doing a running reload which looked rather cool.

I read the magazine from front cover to back several times during the following weeks up in the northern parts of Sweden where I did my military service.

After my service in 1985 I took up pistol shooting and in 1987 IPSC shooting.

After talking to some shooting friends at the Swedish nationals in 1988 I got the telephone number to Arnt Myhre who was supposed to be a real nice guy who could help me out if I decided to fly over to the US to shoot.

The good thing is that Arnt as a native Norweigan more or less speaks the same language as me who's Swedish.

Well I called the Arnt up and told him that I wanted to come to the US and shoot a match or two.

He told that there where no big matches when I planned to come but we could go the SHOT show instead if I where interested?

Arnt and I become friends instantly, funny thing really. Well it turned out that Arnt was friends with the guy on the American Handgun cover from 1984.

Hell, I even did ask Robert Leatham for an autograph at the SHOT show. I was kinda embarrassed to do so but the guy where my shooting idol since I bought that magazine in 1984.

Many trips later I got to met Robbie and his family. My longtime friend Arnt and I where invited to his house for dinner and I felt really strange.

You see, it was like having dinner with Tiger Woods if you are a golfer, or Micheal Jordan if you are into basketball.

There I am having dinner with my idol and chatting about this and that.

It turned out that Robbie was really nice and friendly and he could shoot for sure...!!!!!

Thanks for the dinner Robbie and do give Kippie my best if you read this.

Since then I have been over the ocean many times and I consider Arnt Myhre as one of my best friends.

Do you have a simular story?

My warmest regards :)

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC Tyresö

Stockholm

SWEDEN

I had the opportunity to shoot with JJ Racaza a handful of times due to a mutual friend (once on a mini-supersquad @LBM), I think it was my second match ever when JJ told me, "You are a good shooter." Of course just about anyone can become a good shooter and surely he was talking about my fundementals, but hey, I left the range feeling good that day.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

at the 93 steel challenge we got to practice on the range the friday before, and as i am reloading for another run at i think it was 5 to go??? i hear behind me, nooooo you do it this way, i get grabbed by the shoulders and shown how to start the stage, the hands??? belonged to Rob leatham who was walking by and decided to lend a hand, so i run it his way....yep...knocked 4 tenths of a second off my run time....

its really cool to be involved in a sport that, us, the common folk, can getto meet and greet, mingle with the top shooters in our sport....