Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 3 Gun Winter Classic at Bakersfield CA

The 2009 3 Gun Winter Classic is scheduled for Saturday January 24 in Bakersfield California. There will be 6 stages with on stage RO's and open squadding. USPSA equipment and safety rules. Scoring will be Comstock and the prize table will be order of finish. Stage descriptions will be posted on the stages the morning of the match. Approximate round count 100 pistol, shotgun, rifle and 15 slugs and 10 buckshot.

see the match flyer to additional info.

http://www.uspsa2.org/2009_5Dog_Flyer.htm

weather permitting long range rifle would be between 100 to 300 yards. Fog is always a concern at this time of year. Stage has not been designed yet but I would venture to say, 3 or 4 shooting positions at 8 or so rifle flashers.

• 2 weeks later...

the "weather report" says it's looking like rain on Sat for Bakersfield.

will this be a rain or shine event?

I mean I don't mind water resistant skivies but I'm just concerned for thoses expensive optics i just paid for.

(if we shoot in the rain I'll just bring baggies for my rifle)

I'm gonna do me some research. With the right choke I think you have a better chance of knocking down those auto poppers with bird than with 00 buck.

I went to range today and patterned my new 21" M2. I was using Fiocchi 00 Buck Low Recoil - 9 pellets. It didn't run in my M2. But aside from that, from what I saw on paper I wouldn't use 00 buck against anything but paper or full sized pepper poppers from a stock 21". I tried mod and full at 22-30 yards and the pattern just isn't dense enough to get a reliable hit on the skinny auto poppers.

Auto popper with the spring:

@22 yards

IC: Fed F&T MP Load (3 Dram 1 1/8 oz 7.5 Lead) (Walmart Load) => doesn't do jack to the target

FULL: Fed F&T MP Load (3 Dram 1 1/8 oz 7.5 Lead) (Walmart Load) => Goes down about 1/4 of the way.

Without the spring (how Bakersfield had them during last year's shotgun match):

@22 yards

MOD: Fed F&T MP Load (3 Dram 1 1/8 oz 7.5 Lead) (Walmart Load) => went down

@30 yards

MOD: Fed F&T MP Load (3 Dram 1 1/8 oz 7.5 Lead) (Walmart Load) => did not go down

MOD: Wolf Pheasant Load (3.75 Dram, 1.25 oz #6) => did not go down

FULL: Fed F&T MP Load (3 Dram 1 1/8 oz 7.5 Lead) (Walmart Load) => went down

@39 yards

FULL: Fed F&T MP Load (3 Dram 1 1/8 oz 7.5 Lead) (Walmart Load)=> did not go down

FULL: Wolf Pheasant Load (3.75 Dram, 1.25 oz #6) => did not go down

Interesting to note that the heavier Wolf loads didn't really increase the range.

Using a full choke with birdshot, 30 yards is about the max range for a reliable (99%) knockdown of an unsprung auto popper.

As always... YMMV.

The stages are basically set and the approximate round count is 75 pistol, 10 buckshot, 12 slugs, 80 birdshot and 80+ rifle. It's always a good idea to bring more just in case.

1 long range target about 300 yards and the rest between 95 to 220. There are 3 single gun stages and 3 combo stages.

Match will be held rain or shine.

Great

1: Water resistant Britches & socks. . . Check

2: raid the ammo bunker at work for 00buck magnums. . .check

3: bring 1 case ea. 9mm, XM193, 12ga. Ranger slugs . . . check

4: 12volt coffee maker. . . check

oh and so I don't pull a "Big Randy" All 3 guns. . . . and mags . . check

ok I've been away from the game for awhile but it's starting to come back to me now.

see you all there.

Scoring will be comstock with enhanced scoring values for the long range rifle stage.

Weather looks good maybe a 10% chance of rain and low 60's on Saturday. No problem traveling through any of the mountain passes.

I will be out at the range tomorrow putting the finishing touches on the stages.

See you all out there.

stage 4 had to have the biggest friggen house i've ever shot in. it was really a maze...lots of dead ends or halls with no shooting areas. walked through it 1/2 dozen times and was lost every time. when i shot it, it was like i had a road map-piece of cake. didn't like the chang-up in the shotgun portion from birdshot to buck/slug and then back to birdshot. kinda cut out the flow...but it was a blast.

Edited by outerlimits