Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripods

Heavy Barrel

I have been looking for a reasonable tripod to use with my spotting scope, but it seems everyone out there is either so flimsy that it shakes like a leaf when the slights breeze comes up or everything that should be made from a sturdy material isn't.

After spending close to 1K for a spotting scope, I would like some legs for it that I can depend on.

+1 for the camera shop, I know that my folks spent some change on tripods for their $3K Photo setups.

We are running Bogen tripods exclusively for the photo and video. It is a profesional's set-up and will not fold under a stiff breeze.

I've got a Bogen pro tripod that weighs about six or seven pounds. My daughter left it home after she stopped being a photo major.

It provides a better base for my spotting scope than the flimsy tripods that most scopes come with, but the wind will still move the scope. It's still fine out to about 200 yards with .223 bullets. If you can tie the scope down to the bench, even better.

When I shot CMP/High Power Rifle I used (and still have) a Ewing scope stand http://www.scopestands.com/ - worked well for me and allowed use when in the prone, sitting and standing positions.

There are several other companies making quality stands too.

http://www.ray-vin.com/

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod01.htm

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=264

Do a search on Ebay for Star-D Davidson tripods. I believe they're out of production now, but they are all metal. I got mine for $12.99. It's all aluminum, legs extend out from 2' to 6', I really like it. I got the tip from an article on 6mmbr.com.

Good luck

Kevin

Do a search on Ebay for Star-D Davidson tripods. I believe they're out of production now, but they are all metal. I got mine for $12.99. It's all aluminum, legs extend out from 2' to 6', I really like it. I got the tip from an article on 6mmbr.com.

Good luck

Kevin

I got a Velbon off Ebay and it works great.

Good luck

Kevin

I got a Velbon off Ebay and it works great.

First one I had was a Velbon, a gust of wind got a hold of it knocking it over the QD base broke. And put a crack in the UV Filter on my camera. Since then I have never been able to find a replacement QD base for it.

How much are you willing to spend? Under $500? Under $1000? Under $2000?

Considering what I paid for this spotting scope, I don't want to be too stingy and have something that isn't stable enough. Yet I don't want to go overboard and have something worth more than the scope is either

Go to WWW.CENTERMASSINC.COM and click on "rifle rest" (It can also be used with spotting scopes)

I'm pretty sure they use Bogen tripods for the rifle rests but check with Jeff Felts (Owner) first.

A buddy in S.F. swears by them and used the Mobile Sniping package while deployed in A-Stan so I purchased one for my police sniper duties .

I have used it both in training and deployed on scenes. It has taken a LOT of abuse & so far it has not let me down.

Good luck.

JK

This is a good tripod and at a weight of 7.5 lbs it has a good strong foundation. Working height is also a plus as it will go all the way to 78" which keeps you from having to bend over for viewing.

Zhumell

The Questar from Manfrotto is another good one.

Questar

The Zhumell on a 50% off sale is quite a buy. It's a little heavy, but it adds to its stability. With 76.5" of usable height it's a good buy for what you are looking for I think.

This is a good tripod and at a weight of 7.5 lbs it has a good strong foundation. Working height is also a plus as it will go all the way to 78" which keeps you from having to bend over for viewing.

Zhumell

The Questar from Manfrotto is another good one.

Questar

The Zhumell on a 50% off sale is quite a buy. It's a little heavy, but it adds to its stability. With 76.5" of usable height it's a good buy for what you are looking for I think.

I have been looking at the Bogen/Manfrotto's just haven't decided which model and head.........Just might run up to a camera shop in Omaha (weather permitting) and see whats on the market. choices :blink:

Edited by Heavy Barrel

• 1 month later...

It depends on what you plan to use the spotter for. I have more than one scope stand. Flimsy stand handicaps a good scope more than anything else. Steady stand can make a cheap scope look good.

Camera style Tripod you can't beat Bogden. I like the fluid head sold for Video cameras fast on target and swtiching target to target. Only use it for Silouette and spotting another shooter though. Wide legs get in the way of shooting if spotting yourself. We usualy sit spotting so a tall stand is not real important. If standing it needs to be high so you don't bend over all day. Unless your scope is angle eyepice, then it's another fit up.

Traditonal scope stand mine is a Champions Choice, Straight shaft offset Bipod legs with a weight. The type is not steady at all but you can put the scope next to your body when shooting. I keep a light cord in my bag and often lash it to the shooting house post, particulary if the wind is blowing. Single shaft stand you can Lean over to spot without changing position. Same stand assembled with only one extension is good self spotting prone. They are steady if set up short.

Also have an old B&L table top tripod that is easy to put into my shooting bag and works fine off a bench. Will sometimes put a chair on top of the bench and put the scope on top to shoot offhand when pratice shooting. Only good thing about it it's size.

Boats

Edited by Boats

I was also tired of my scope vibrating in the wind so went with a Manfrotto 190XPROB tri-pod and Manfrotto 322RC2 grip type head. Takes lot more wind to shake it now. These heads are very quick to move and stay where you put them. The tri-pod legs will spread out to 90* and center post will also switch 90* so you can use it prone. Very slick setup!

I'm 6' 0" and it is tall enough for me. Cost is around 300 depending on vendor.