Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget Scope Base

Singlestack

I haven't bought any rings yet, I was going to purchase the TPS set (they are currently out of stock).

After reading the comments here, I think I want the steel 20MOA Farrell base. I have no idea on the rings - should I get steel rings to match the steel base or does that matter? I was hoping to get the whole set for around $200. If Badger is the *only* way to go, I don't want to buy twice...

For example, the TPS Rings / Base is around $115.00, the Badger set is around $285. Inexpensive is good, but I don't want cheap :)

Like the thread starter, I was hoping to get a good $$$ / performance suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

In my honest opinion, Badger is the best. Now how do I quantify that? Well how long of a list do you want? Let me start by saying this, I know Marty Bordenson personally, and his attitude on customer service is by far the best. No questions asked he'll replace it. Period!

Badger products are built with exacting tolerances. Fit and finish is excellent. They will outlast the shooter.

I have a few sets of rings outside in my toolbox. Not junk rings, high dollar rings. They got replaced with Badger rings.

Buy just one time, and be happy for the rest of your shooting years.

I like Badger and NF bases because they are low profile bases. Both with 20MOA cants.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have put TPS rings on several rifles and they all have done the job splendidly. Very solid steel construction and when changing scopes or removing them from the scopes , never left a mark on the tube. All have held the scope in place and never loosened. The last rifle (FN) I put them on shoots 1/2 moa when I do my part.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have put TPS rings on several rifles and they all have done the job splendidly. Very solid steel construction and when changing scopes or removing them from the scopes , never left a mark on the tube. All have held the scope in place and never loosened. The last rifle (FN) I put them on shoots 1/2 moa when I do my part.

I have read other good reports on TPS products, and I own some of their product that is JUNK. I am many others tried to contact them. I even sent them many emails, no reply. So I put them in my tool box to remind me to NEVER be a cheap ass on rings again.

Say Sir, how many times a month do you reckon you shoot beyond 500 yards? How many airplanes has your rifle flown on? How many tactical match competitions have your rifles attended? How many rounds a month do you fire on any one of your rifles? Would you be willing to submit your rifle to a 8' drop test?

I was wondering the same thing, 8' drop test is not something i plan to do with anygun I own just for the shear sake of that would be stupid to do intentionally.

My bolt gun is just for fun informal days at the range, I do not plan on flying or competing with it as I am not into MOR type competition. If this ever changes I would not hesitate to use it though as it seems to do its job.

Out of curiosity and not meaning to drift the thread too much, what model rings (steel or Aluminum) and what exactly is the problem you have with them? Hopefully I will not need to test their customer service, as it seems that is a big complaint, but what mechanical problem have you experianced?

Sometimes, when testing equipment, the manufacture gives you permission to conduct abusive tests. My custom Remington 700 was dropped 8' onto the ground from a step ladder. Not concrete, just mowed yard. Then fired to confirm a 100 yard zero, it performed. Badger rings and base, NF scope. I did remove the bolt from the rifle so as not to damage the bolt handle. The AICS stock is built very ruggedly (plus it has a 1" thick rubber recoil pad acting as a shock buffer) and they pass 30' drop tests, but I'm not quite that brave. I have to pay for most of my stuff!

Maybe next time I should video it. I'll have a new scope from NF to T&E here soon. The last one they sent me was a 2.5x10 and I was pretty gentle with it.

Hey Guys thank you for the kind words!

We started making scope mounts with the Red Buff mounts on IPSC guns in 1992. made and sold something like

6500 scope mounts. Ipsc guns it turns out get shot a good amount. :) This crowd would know better than most.

A couple years after that we started making S&W revolver mounts we still make both.

We have had an occasional issue but only if someone shoots a scope and it comes loose and is left loose when shooting.

than in about 1995 we started in on a Savage Striker pistol mount, sold a bunch of these too. same deal no problem.

Fast forward to today. We produced in our shop well over 2 miles of Rifle mounts in just over 2 years. Today we do 58 different rifles.

Rem Tikka, Savage, Win, Howa etc. Our extrusion die is within .001 of the Pic spec. (we do have the center relief in our mount though)

The only returns we have besides getting the guy the wrong mount is Remington Long Action seems to have a problem putting the holes in a consistant place. :(

Any square cross bolt ring works fine. Weaver will fit but the small round contact is not ideal for the picatinny cross slot. plus don't try to torque one to 65 inch lbs.

We made screws in Quakertown but had trouble making enough, so we bought from an industry supplier. That did not work as we had failures right away. Now we have USA made from Cold forming and roll thread 4037 steel bolts heat treated locally also. All USA.

Our mounting screws strip the hex head out at 57 inch lbs. We receomend 20 inch lbs as do many scope base manufacturs.

Our ring corss bolts break at 131 inch lbs. We recomend 65 inch lbs.

We measure each action, cross check as many places as we can even with other manufacturs.

our endmills are ground in Pottstown Pa. all the radus endmills are Carbide.

We use Fadal machining centers, we have 4 of them. They are made in Ca.

Try our mounts out, I think you will be pleased. We don't try to put our kids through College with each one :) .

You can order direct, through Brownells, Midway, Dillon or SWFA.

You will find we do a good amount of sponsoring in the shooting sports.

best regards

geo

Edited by Flexmoney

• 1 month later...

I went out on a limb and tried the new NF 1 piece 20MOA mount... After shooting it this weekend with M118LR, I finally lucked out and got a factory rifle that shoots! :cheers: I am eager to find out what some Green / Yellow / Red box reloads are going to do...

post-1518-1235294802_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
George - I got your back bud. I ordered mine yesterday and will rock them proudly.

Rich

Rich and others, regarding my post about the TPS rings, there are MANY threads like the one I am going to share here with others that have had the same issues I've had with the TPS products.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...266#Post1050266

CS and communication is EVERYTHING. I have a set of TPS rings in the tool box out in the shop. Screw heads were so soft 15 in lbs stripped the heads. I keep quality tools, so the driver was not the cause for it. Getting someone to reply to the emails or phone calls was impossible. At some point I'll buy more screws for them. There's a reason none of the big name smiths use them. Hope this isn't construed as a hate post, it's not, just a warning for potential buyers.

FWIW, I shot EGW bases on my centerfire BR guns with zero problems. That may had more to do with my OCD and bedding the base to the action or maybe I just had good ones but they always worked for me. I don't like the KF base, it is WAY too high for me.

Isaac

Kgunz

Thanks for sharing that link. I found it interesting that 17 posted liked their products, some alot. Only 4 were bad mouthing them, and it was focused mostly on CS issues. Bad Customer Service can leave a real sour taste in your mouth, Even if they make a fine product.

Look at Warne bases, they are steel and just as good as Badger and don't cost as much.

+1

The same with the Burris Extreme Tactical Bases. They are also made of steel. I can understand Aluminum bases and rings costing less because Aluminum machines like butter and tool life is forever. But what some of these companies like Leupold and Badger charge for either steel or Aluminum should be a crime. They get away with it because people will pay it. I won't if it's to the point of being ridiculous. Bill T.