Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arredondo or Taylor Freelance baseplates?

JeffWard

If I decide to shoot Limited Minor with my M&P Pro, which extension would you suggest for the +6 capacity?

Arredondo for $17.95

Taylor Freelance for $29.95

Heavier springs, or factory?

Other manufacturers I missed?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

The Arrendondo baseplates allow for +5 when you use the L shaped floor plate that retains the mag extension. From what I've read, they also won't work with the magwells from SSS. ISMI makes an extra power spring for use with both extensions, and is recommended.

I run a mag well so went with the Taylor's from Speed Shooter Specialties since they are milled for use with a magwell. I think they are a lot more robust than the Arredondo's. I Also run the ISMI springs because a set of 5 are cheap enough. Have had no issues so far. (3 matches) I squeeze 23 into the first mag and run 22 in the rest...

I run the Arredondo mag extensions on my M&P Pro mostly because of price (nearly half the price of the Taylor, only $16). They fit 22 rounds with the provided baseplates and function 100% with my stock springs from the 17 rounders. They are solid and I think better looking than the Taylors being all black (who cares, right?). If I had to run a magwell, I would run the Taylors but I don't need a magwell....yet.

I you will be using Spped Shooter Specialties magwell, you'll have to get the Taylors. The Arredondos won't work with the magwell. My first experience with the Arredondos wan't positive but I understand they changed the retention insert and now they work much better.

Good luck!

I you will be using Spped Shooter Specialties magwell, you'll have to get the Taylors. The Arredondos won't work with the magwell. My first experience with the Arredondos wan't positive but I understand they changed the retention insert and now they work much better.

Good luck!

Whatever they changed, it works great and is rock solid. You really can't move the basepads at all.

without question; Taylor basepads with ISMI +10% mag springs. Ran these hard the last 2 years in limited; with and without a magwell.

I dabbled with the arredondos prior to the taylors; I like the taylors much better.

You can get them from a forum sponsor, SpeedShooterSpecialties.

In my experience, the Taylor +6 floorplate (actually marketed as a +5 - you may, depending on the magazine, be able to get in an extra six but it's not guaranteed) is problematic since the interior profile of the baseplate doesn't mate up perfectly with the interior dimensions of the mag tube; there's a "step" where the two meet in front; this can cause serious failure to feed issues. According to the instructional paperwork that came with the Taylor +6, you're supposed to take a file to the bottom/front interior edge of the mag tube to get rid of that. I did it. Didn't make a difference. So in this case, in Taylor vs. Arredondo land, I greatly prefer the Arredondo which (1) works (2) with no modification to the mag tube.

On the other hand, the Taylor +10 Open-legal baseplate is fairly awesome. Actually holds +11 (28 rounds of 9mm) in my experience, without overstressing the spring, and works perfectly.

So in this case, in Taylor vs. Arredondo land, I greatly prefer the Arredondo which (1) works (2) with no modification to the mag tube.

Duane,

Will the Arrendondos run with factory mag springs, or am I asking for trouble?

Jeff

So in this case, in Taylor vs. Arredondo land, I greatly prefer the Arredondo which (1) works (2) with no modification to the mag tube.

Duane,

Will the Arrendondos run with factory mag springs, or am I asking for trouble?

Jeff

I'll base this strictly on Glock experiences with both pads: The Arredondos can be ordered with their own springs, which work. The Taylor's I don't remember. Either basepad also works well with Wolff's replacement magsprings, in either the 140 or 170 mm length --- as dictated by basepad size......

I strongly prefer the Arredondo's and TF to the Dawson's and Grams' pads --- but shooters I respect feel differently.....

The Taylors come with their own springs, too.

hmmm mine didn't :unsure: At any rate, I use a heavier spring in mine, as the factory one seemed too loose. Loose as in not enough spring pressure for my tastes. I prefer a lot of spring pressure, I don't mind that I only get +4 in my .40.

I have owned the Arredondo's as well, but as was mentioned, they don't work with the SSS magwell I have. I didn't get the impression that the A's would stand up to the abuse my magazines go through and the Taylors have done so quite well.

This from the Arredondo website:

Arredondo Glock +5 Mag Extension Kit - complete with extended basepad, sleeve, extra-power spring, and installation tool. Increases stock 15 round capacity by 5 rounds and 6 rounds in 9mm. USPSA limited legal at 140mm. Fits Glock models 17, 19, 22, 23, 34, and 35. Note: these kits will not work with 10 round magazines.

This from the Arredondo website:
Arredondo Glock +5 Mag Extension Kit - complete with extended basepad, sleeve, extra-power spring, and installation tool. Increases stock 15 round capacity by 5 rounds and 6 rounds in 9mm. USPSA limited legal at 140mm. Fits Glock models 17, 19, 22, 23, 34, and 35. Note: these kits will not work with 10 round magazines.

Those are for Glock, the M&P baseplates from Arredondo do not come with springs. Different pistols, different parts.

Those are for Glock, the M&P baseplates from Arredondo do not come with springs. Different pistols, different parts.

Ah! And now the clouds part....

I'm not even seeing M&P extensions on the Arredondo website.

No problem.

Never even looked at Arredondo's website, got mine from Brownell's since I get a discount there, think I paid $16 ea. Definatly for the M&P, got 4 of em just for grins.

For those running Arredondos:

Are you running the factory flat plate and +6, or the Arrendondo supplied L-shaped plate and +5?

Anyone having issues without the L-plate???

Do the Extensions fall off on ground impact?

JeffWard

For those running Arredondos:

Are you running the factory flat plate and +6, or the Arrendondo supplied L-shaped plate and +5?

Anyone having issues without the L-plate???

Do the Extensions fall off on ground impact?

JeffWard

I'm running them with the L shaped plate (so +5), they are rock solid and do not move no matter what you do. If you use the factory plate, they will move forward on the mag tube when under pressure as they do not "lock" the extension.

I've got some Beretta +2 extensions on some CZ magazines (give +4 w/ trimming) and they are not nearly as solid, they move around on the mag tube if you put pressure on them.