Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help me with your experience ? on equipment purchase

DeHammer

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Brazos .40 with the works built on an STI frame. I would be shooting this in limited. This gun is about 2 years old and I have been told it has approx. 300 rounds through it. Hard chrome, trigger job.....about a 2 lb. trigger, etc. I guess what usually comes with a gun Brazos would build.

This also would come with 4 tuned mags and a ghost holster for $2800.00 I have been told it's a fantastic deal.

I have been shooting IPSC & IDPA since August 2008. I am "B" in IPSC and "Expert" in IDPA. The questions are: Should I wait until I improve my skill level before buying a gun like this? Does this sound like a really good deal?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I should tell you upfront that I'm sponsored by Brazos Custom Gunworks. I don't think that matters for what I'm going to tell you, but its probably fair to put it out there ;)

Two major points, then a couple of questions.

My experience has been that it pays to buy the right equipment the first time. A high quality pistol will allow you to advance in your shooting more quickly (possibly much more quickly) than a less expensive, but lower quality piece of gear. Various reasons for this - but generally, the higher quality piece will run better, shoot better, fit better, and shoot more accurately. This applies to any high quality piece of kit, not just the one in question. At B, you are more than ready to drive a "pro level" gun. Depending on what you're shooting now, it could actually make a 1 division difference in your performance, once you adjust (before anyone goes freaking out, read that "Depending" again).

When buying a used pistol, you need to be at least a little bit cautious. Its common for people to claim low round counts. 300 rounds in 2 years, on the surface, sounds potentially suspicious to me. Either it was a safe queen, or someone's under-exaggerating its round count. Check it over carefully - at 300 rounds, it should still be quite tight, and there should be very little visible wear on the gun. However, even with 30x that much ammo through it, it should still be in good shape, if the owner took care of it, and hasn't abused it.

Do you know which Brazos gun it is? Is it a Pro series gun, an SC, or is it a High Performance Edge? I can tell you a bit more about it, and what kind of deal you're getting based on that ;)

Mr. Re makes excellent points, particularly about the round count; the only thing I would contribute would be to ask....

Does spending $2800 on a gun prohibit you from practicing or attending matches? To buy a fabulous gun but not be able to train would defeat the whole purpose of buying it.

FY42385

What I am about to say may sound cynical, but here it is:

Be very, very cautious about buying anyone else's custom 1911. Not that there aren't some great guns out there for sale, but in my experience a 1911 that works 100% of the time is such a great gun that people don't get rid of them. Therefore, if it's for sale, de facto it doesn't work. Yes, there are exceptions to that rule, quite a few of them, and this may well be one. I'm just saying, if you're a new competitor who doesn't know all that much about the design, have the gun looked over, and fired, by someone who knows more than you before you sink $2,800 into the package.

My $.02, for what it's worth.

As a counterpoint to Duane's post I have bought two used Brazos Open guns. Both ran just fine. YMMV.

I agree that the 300 round count sounds suspicious. However, if the seller is known to you or someone else you know and trust feel free to buy it with great confidence. Bob's guns are outstanding.

Edited by XD Niner

The guy selling it is a Gunsmith who is well known in my area. This is his partners gun......I think he bought it but then went in a different direction than USPSA, they get into the Tactical stuff alot these days. I think this one has actually been in the safe for a long time. The same guy built a nice AR for me.

I think it is a pretty good price for a pretty darn nice gun, if it is a Pro SC the price is good, if it is a Pro full custom the price is really good. If you can afford it I say go for it.

While I would agree with Duane that a 1911 that runs is hard to find for sale in some instances I don't think it applies in this price range, once you get much over a thousand dollars the seller and the clientele change drastically from the production gun crowd. In the high dollar competition gun crowd it is entirely possible to buy a gun that is as reliable as they get with low miles, some of these guys change guns every season and even a couple times a season. Some order a gun and change their mind in the months it takes to build it and sell it on delivery, or try it and don't like it so they sell it with just a few mags through it.

The only thing that scares me in guns from a quality builder is owners dinking around and changing things, if that were the case the gun could need some work or parts to be what it once was.

Depending on what you're shooting now, it could actually make a 1 division difference in your performance, once you adjust

You mean "class", right, not "division"?

To clarify I should have said "B" in Production. I am going to start shooting Limited with a Glock 35 if I ever get my mags and basepads back from the dealer. I could only get 18 .40's in them after messing around with the followers and had to send them back. I really would rather shoot the 2011.

"Division" applies to the type of gun you're shooting. "Class" is your actual rank within that division. I was alluding to the fact that the previous poster was obviously referring to the fact he thinks that having the right gun can make a one class (not division) difference in the shooter's performance.