Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What about Clays

Boats

Try to keep powders on hand to manageable, need 4 different rifle powders. Handguns, Unique, for 38 Spl 45 ACP & 45LC cast bullet shooting in revolvers. Automatics 2 x 45 ACP's all 200 gr cast bullets use W231 Load is a bit different each gun. Use 231 for 3 x 9 mm too, cast 125 gr bulllets. It works good but hear a lot about Clays.

Looked at Hodgons loading data, seems to be a bit faster than 231. Is there any good reason to try Clays as an alternate to W231. Measuring consistency clean burning etc?

Boats

If you do a search here, Clays is the prefered powder for 45 acp. I run 4.2 grains under a 230 grain plated/jacketed bullet for a power factor of 172 or so. 4.0 with moly/lead.

Edited by yoshidaex

Thanks Yosh, That's what made me ask the question, If I have standard loads that work well with W231 is Clays going to improve ? Actually am working in a new 45 ACP and could just start with Clays to see for my self. Good way to compare. It's a Revolver and burning clean with light loads could be something worth looking for. Normaly would be looking at Bullseye for light loads.

Boats

Boats - Clays is an excellent powder where it fits, and .45 ACP is one of those places. Be advised that you won't be able to get factory equivalent velocities out of it if you stay within published data, but you can make Major with it with no problem. It's supposed to be cleaner burning than 231 in .45 ACP; I haven't used 231 in .45 for ages so I can't verify that, but Clays is very clean burning in this cartridge.

Thanks RevC

Am making major with W231 now using the H&G 68 style 200 gr swc 5.3 for My Commander and 5.7 for the Full Size Colt. Loads used for many years with no troubles.

Problem at hand is non major in my new to me 625 using 200 gr rn cast. 231 is pretty dirty and the revolver has some moonclip seating issues after a few have gone through. Gunsmith is giving it a polish and chamfer job now which could cure but cleaning burning with light loads would be good. Automatics only have to seat one at a time and the slide slams the cartridge home. Moonclipped revolver you have to seat 6 at a go with nothing to help but gravity.

It's a nuisance having too many powders around but am going to get a can of Clays just for the 625 and see how it goes. Some point will have to load major for it too. Who knows may switch all 45's to it sometime.

Boats

Boats

231 gave me problems with unburned powder under the extractor of the 625.

I switched to WST, and WSF with good results. I've run just a few rounds loaded with clays, without difficulty.

Edited by wide45

Clays is the best powder to use in the 625. It is very clean and only takes 4.0 - 4.3 gr to make major with a 230 gr bullet in the 625. You also want to use a round nose bullet for the 625 so they will drop right in. I use the Precision 230 gr RNF for practice and 230 gr Zero for matches.

I switched from w231 to clays, and do not regret it. Feels softer, shoots cleaner.

I was pleased, and I think you would be too.

edit: Oh, Yeah, full size 1911 .45, 230gr plated, 4.1 clays

Edited by Kyle O

i run 4.3 of clays in my 625 and my 1911 shooting a hg#68. 835 fps average 167 power factor out of both. cci in the 1911 and federal primers in the 625. i was thinking of going to 231 to get more FPS cause im so close to minor running max load for it. -chris

I used 231 for 45, 9mm, and 38spec. Clays shoots a lot softer than 231 in a 45, for same power factors and bullets (170-ish and 230gr), so Clays is my current choice. However, if I wanted hotter 45 loads ("blow-bowling-pins-off-table"), I would use 231 because Clays does not tolerate higher PF very well. I never had trouble with 231, it was never that dirty in a 38 revolver or the autos, just that Clays feels lots softer in major 45 loads.

Lee

I used Clays in 45 acp and it was great. I switched to Titegroup because thats what I use in my 40 so I only have to buy one type of powder. FWIW I could not tell a difference in shooting between Clays and Titegroup in 45 ACP.

BK

Bought a jug of Clays. Loading data it seems to duplicate Bullseye in the 45 ACP. Loaded up 5 lots of test cardriges above and below 4.2 gr pushing a 200 Gr R/N lead for my 625 Smith Going to the range tomorrow will report results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys thought I had posted results. Have another thread on the 625 that's more mechanical and updated that one.

Clays is working great. I loaded dozen of each charge around what had been recommended, all with a 200 GR .452 lead bullet. Rolled in the strongest crimp my lee 45 ACP dies would give. What is working best in that gun is 3.9-4.0 of Clays. Adjustable measure set at 4.0 however the one I like to use a little Bonanza throws 3.9 Have not chronographed the load but am pretty sure it will not make major. It's clean recoil is not real bad but no powder puff either Since this gun is a 3 inch and wears small boot grips and will not shoot regular matches Major is not a factor.

It's amazing how clean Clays shoots. Have loaded 45 ACP over 30 years, Unique and then W 231. Am used to dirty which never affected my 1911's Years ago had a Smith & W 1917 moonclipper and dirty was never a factor with that revolver, Accucary was not a factor either, The 625 is tight and even though I had the cylinders polished clips were not dropping in easy using W 231. In fact the cylinder was dragging too after many rounds,. Gap on this gun is as tight as I have seen, Clays I am loading a Plano box full 12 dozen and don't clean until they all go through with no problems,

Our club has a BUG match mid Feb and plan to use the 625 instead of my usual 2 inch M 10. I may switch out the grips and shoot the IDPA Classifier with it in March, if so will have to boost the Clays load working with the Chronograph to Make the PF. Am shooting stage III with it now practice.

Now I have to make up my mind on switching my other pistols to Clays. Load more 9 mm than anything else, some 38 spl in powder puff loads for snubbies and of course 45 ACP for a pair of 1911's

Thanks all for the advice.

Boats