Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A nice selection....

steel1212

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

I'm not exactly a connoisseur or what have you but I like to try different ones and I know what I like and what I don't like. This is what I have on stock at the moment.

Jim Beam, what can I say its down the street and this is what I give to people that basically just want to mix it for the "effect".

Buffalo Trace, this Bourbon is a little bit more refined in my opinion than Beam but not much. I can drink it straight but I still end up mixing it usually. Again, right down the street.

The next 4 are pretty much in the same category, think top of the line factory gun :D

Bulleit, This one isn't pictured as I can't keep from drinking it all up! This is a lesser known bourbon that is about 10 bucks cheaper than woodford but don't let the cost fool you. It is dollar for dollar the best bourbon I have drank.

Woodford Reserve, well known, fairly easy to drink straight, no hard after taste.

Knob Creek, again fairly well known, smooth straight, even a new bourbon drinker could probably handle this one with some ice.

Elijah Craig, not as well known, a little less smooth than the last 2 but still has a very full body flavor.

Evan Williams, this one I just got as a Christmas present and haven't had a lot of experience with it yet. What I have had of it was nothing short of greatness for a single barrel bourbon.

Now to the upper end....

Bookers, imagine taking the cork out of the barrel, pouring a glass and drinking, that is what you get with this bourbon. It is completely uncut, unfiltered, unaltered. I'm not a big fan as this bourbon, coming from Jim Beam, is a little on the harsh side of bourbon. Once this bottle is gone I doubt I will get another. Its still good, just not my taste.

Rare Breed, this ain't no wild turkey! I again got this one for Christmas this year, from myself :D I had some at a friends house and it was as advertised, strong yet smooth and truly exceptional for a blended barrel proof bourbon.

William Larue Weller, ah one of my all time favorites. This bourbon will kick your ARSE and you'll enjoy every minute of it. This one comes from Buffalo Trace as well and is nothing short of magnificent. Out of all I had if I had only one this would be it.

George T. Stag, a limited run single barrel, barrel proof bourbon from Buffalo Trace. This bourbon is not for the inexperienced drinkers. The 2008 bottle I have is 141 proof!! Yeah, its stout but it isn't undrinkable. It hits hard but is still smooth enough to be sipped with a couple of cubes of ice and I do suggest the ice or the freezer. With such a high alcohol content the vapors hit you first tending to ruin the experience.

Enjoy!

Edited by steel1212

Nice collection!

If you really want to savor the best of the best, let me recommend Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yr old Family Reserve. If you need to save your pennies, the 10, 12 and 15 yr are all head and shoulders above most bournons, but the 20 yr old is where it really shines. The 23 yr old is outstanding, too, but its price tag reserves its use for weddings, funerals, and births.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Van_Winkle

I think I saw that at the local shop...I'll have to look into that.

The cool thing about being in the middle of the distilleries is that it seems our local prices aren't the same as out of town prices. The william larue I have was 200$ on the internet and I can get it locally for 60$.

The cool thing about being in the middle of the distilleries is that it seems our local prices aren't the same as out of town prices. The william larue I have was 200$ on the internet and I can get it locally for 60$.

You do live in the Holy Land! 90% of the bourbons I have were distilled within 100 miles of your home!

You do live in the Holy Land! 90% of the bourbons I have were distilled within 100 miles of your home!

I'm about 2 miles from both Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam. Woodford is probably 10 miles. Four roses is probably about 10 miles....I could go on and on... :cheers:

Online the 20 year is only 100 or so and every where I read says #1 bourbon...I'll have to check that out. The 23 year is 200+ and I don't think they have made a run this year.

I can sometimes find the 20 yr for $75-90. I have a half bottle of the 23 yr from 2007 thats waiting for an event to justify the rest of the creme de la creme.

I prefer the 20 yr old neat, but the 23 yr old really opens up with just a drop or two of water. A friend of mine says its best with an ice cube, but I'm not really sure who his Momma's people are, so take that with a grain of salt.

Online the 20 year is only 100 or so and every where I read says #1 bourbon...I'll have to check that out. The 23 year is 200+ and I don't think they have made a run this year.

I can sometimes find the 20 yr for $75-90. I have a half bottle of the 23 yr from 2007 thats waiting for an event to justify the rest of the creme de la creme.

I prefer the 20 yr old neat, but the 23 yr old really opens up with just a drop or two of water. A friend of mine says its best with an ice cube, but I'm not really sure who his Momma's people are, so take that with a grain of salt.

all depends on the size of the cube lol.

Called the local spots and the 20 year is all sold out and right around 100, the 23 is a little over 200. I have a buddy looking into finding me some 20 year.....damnit I'm running out of room, guess I'll have to drink some up this weekend when I get off call :D

Would you say the 23 is 100$ better than the 20?

My guy said the 20 comes in twice a year and he'll put me a bottle back next time he gets it....not what but who ya know.

Edited by steel1212

>>Would you say the 23 is 100$ better than the 20?<<

They're different. The 20 yr old is what you pull out when you have a friend over who appreciates fine bourbon. The 23 yr old is what you break out to toast your brother on the birth of his first child. Since you're obviously a bourbon lover, you should try a bottle of each. You'll get your money's worth.

Edited by bbbean

>>Would you say the 23 is 100$ better than the 20?<<

They're different. The 20 yr old is what you pull out when you have a friend over who appreciates fine bourbon. The 23 yr old is what you break out to toast your brother on the birth of his first child. Since you're obviously a bourbon lover, you should try a bottle of each. You'll get your money's worth.

Guess I'll have to get the 23 for when I make master! Don't have any brothers/sisters, brother-in-law is getting married soon but doesn't like Bourbon :wacko: , guess that is just more for me :cheers:

I would agree the Pappy Van Winkle 20 is the best I have tasted. Never had the 23 year old. My bourbon of choice to drink neat or on ice is Woodford Reserve. Blanton's is another single barrel bourbon that is worth trying, it is I believe in the $60-$70 range, but worth every penny. I just got a bottle of Russell's Reserve for a retirement gift, It has a good flavor and finish but is not as smooth as Woodford.

I for one am disapointed!

No corn squezins, white lightning, morning dew ala moonshine?

It may not be Burbon but one shot of the real good stuff will make you stomp your foot and know there is a God in Heven.

Every good Kentucky boy should have a little on the shelf if not several under it.

How does basic Jack rate? I'm guessing similar to Beam, but just wondering.

I drink JD normally when I drink whiskey. And, trivial as it may sound, I don't wander much because my first name is Jack and I'm a little biased towards Mr. Daniels all things considered. But if you guys tell I'm missing out on an experience with one of these other's I'm open. Just don't have much experience with any of the others.

Jack

I would agree the Pappy Van Winkle 20 is the best I have tasted. Never had the 23 year old. My bourbon of choice to drink neat or on ice is Woodford Reserve. Blanton's is another single barrel bourbon that is worth trying, it is I believe in the $60-$70 range, but worth every penny. I just got a bottle of Russell's Reserve for a retirement gift, It has a good flavor and finish but is not as smooth as Woodford.

Amen on the Blantons! I have a friend who gives me a bottle each Derby day. THAT'S a friend!

How does basic Jack rate? I'm guessing similar to Beam, but just wondering.

I drink JD normally when I drink whiskey. And, trivial as it may sound, I don't wander much because my first name is Jack and I'm a little biased towards Mr. Daniels all things considered. But if you guys tell I'm missing out on an experience with one of these other's I'm open. Just don't have much experience with any of the others.

Jack

Jack, most of us around here, Want2race, Surge, and a few others pretty much just drink Bourbon. Personally, I rate Jack right there with Beam its just to "harsh" for something called a TN sipping wiskey lol. When it comes to Bourbon we have hundreds of different ones around here to try from and the ones I have is just a small sampling.

If you want something that won't break the bank but is still good try:

Woodford Reserve

Old Forester (comes from the same batch as woodford but has a slightly different taste so gets bottle differently and cheaper)

Knob Creek

Bulleit

Eljiah Craig

Evan Williams

All these are around th 20-30$ range per 750ML bottle around here.

I prefer the single barrel bourbons and especially like the uncut, unfiltered barrel proof ones like WLW, Stag etc. but you pay for it. BBBean now has me waiting for a bottle of 20 year Pappy to show up! :cheers:

I for one am disapointed!

No corn squezins, white lightning, morning dew ala moonshine?

It may not be Burbon but one shot of the real good stuff will make you stomp your foot and know there is a God in Heven.

Every good Kentucky boy should have a little on the shelf if not several under it.

Who said I didn't....but that ain't Bourbon :D

Edited by steel1212

Oh yeah! Blantons! A friend gave me a bottle of that a few years ago and it is reserved for special occasions. A bottle of Woodford Reserve lives right next to the Blantons in the cabinet.

I like both bourbons and Tennessee's equally. They are different and it all depends on what mood I am in as to which one I will gravitate to. And sometime ya just need to drag out the bottle of rye. I tend toward Jim Beam with the yellow label. Not a big fan of Old Overholt and some of the other more broadly distributed ryes.

Jim Beam with the black label is a bit smoother and more developed than the white label and at times becomes my drink of choice. Maker's Mark also inhabits the liquor cabinet. But it went mainstream a couple years ago and the price doubled so I went off exploring other bourbons.

For Tennessee's I almost always go to George Dickel #12 but have been known to enjoy Gentleman Jack (single barrel, cask strength version of Jack if memory serves).

We need to have a nationals in KY so I have an excuse to visit the Holy Land. :):cheers: