Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Panther Sportical 5.56

-JQ-

I have one I got in a trade from a member here. I only have a hundred or maybe a 150 rounds through it but it runs and seems to be pretty accurate. I put a floating handguard and an EO Tech on it, with the EOT I can't really shoot it for accuracy but 100 yard headshots on a metric target are easy. With a Miculek comp on it the little gun is a lot of fun to shoot.

I bought one just after Thanksgiving. I added a front sling swivel (why there wasn't one on this gun who knows---- since there was one on the back).

I added a 120 lumin tactical light and an EO Tech sight and was ready to rock... :ph34r: .. that's when the 55" of snow we have received started to fall... so the gun hasn't even been fired yet :angry2:

The main reason I bought this one is because a neighbor has one and he LOVES IT.

At barely 6 pounds it obviously won't be as accurate as my Colt National Match... but as a plinking and defensive gun it should be well worth the $650 price tag. I liked the fact that it came with a hard carrying case, cleaning kit, and 2 quality 30 round mags.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Does it have a carbine length gas system?

That might be the only drawback I could see. I usually prefer guns with a 16" barrel to have a mid-length gas system. (Seems to me like they shoot softer).

As to DPMS in general I have always had good luck with their parts.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Yes, they are short gas, mine with the little Miculek comp is a very pleasant shooter. For the price the Sportical and the Miculek comp are both extremely good. I don't care about the forward assist, I've not seen a use for it unless you want to jam it up so bad you break the charging handle for sure when you try to get it open. I'd rather clear it before it gets jammed up that tight, but that is just me. The dustcover would be nice but it isn't a big deal that it doesn't have one to me. You can spend a lot more and not get a lot more, I am impressed with mine for what it cost.

Not a bad little rifle at all, needs a float tube, a comp and a better trigger(JP). I would think the biggest problem right now is finding one.----------Larry

I snagged one last week just to throw in the safe. it is NIB so I hate to shoot it.

I'm trying to be patient with another AR build I have going. Everyone is busy of course...but "all" I need to for them to cut the barrel and thread it...I digress. :closedeyes:

When I got it, I took it out of the bag and it felt nice a light and doesn't look bad. But as Larry said needs a couple of items. The one I'm waiting for will be right.

It is still oily so I didn't want to monkey with it...put it back in bag and in the back of the safe it went..so far...NIB.