Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Membership

bbbean

I just got a renewal request from the Steel Challenge for the membership that was given to all USPSA members. I love shooting steel, but only get to shoot a bona fide steel match once a year, and to the best of my knowledge that match isn't affiliated with the Steel Challenge.

I'd love to support the organization, and would love to see more clubs affiliate, but is there really any benefit to being a member if you live too far away to compete in matches?

I can't think of one. I've been a USPSA member since 2001, an on-and-off again IDPA member since 1999, and an on-and-off again GSSF member since 2000. USPSA delivers constant value for membership via Front Sight, the Classification system, allowing me to serve the organization, NROI, a discount on local match fees in the Mid-Atlantic Section. The other two --- not so much, in my opinion. Part of that's due to time limitations on my part though --- if I had more time and $ to play, I'd probably never let my membership lapse in any of those three organizations.

So what does that have to do with the Steel Challenge? I can shoot Steel match at least three weekends a month within a 50 minute drive. Membership nets me nothing --- so why join the organization? No discount, no magazine, no state or regional matches, no National match I'm likely to go to as long as it's all the way across the country....

Why? Somebody convince me....

What Nik said.

The Mid-Atlantic Section (of Area 8) has been successful with their policy of charging an extra $5 for shooters who are not USPSA members. Allthough USPSA membership is not required to shoot Level I matches, those shooters do get the benefit of the USPSA infrastructure. It seems fair (at least to us who shoot here) that non-members should kick in something to support the matches.

Ultimately, most shooters figure it out. If you shoot 8 matches a year, you break even money-wise and get the membership benefits. I think it helps to generate members for USPSA.

Perhaps if more clubs did that (including with Steel Challenge)...... ???

Edited to add:

The other very successful idea (which has been in effect for several years now) is that clubs have the option of offering new shooters a free match in exchange for their USPSA membership application. It costs USPSA nothing - the club bears the expense. Pretty good deal for the shooter.

These are two reasons most of the shooters in the M-A Section are USPSA members.

Edited by George Jones

If I am a USPSA member, and our BOD bought Steel Challenge with partly my dues money then why am I not a Steel Challenge member ?

I wouldnt be joining Steel Challenge anyway because I dont feel membership offers me anything. The handful of steel matches around my area arnt affiliated. I dont shoot them anyway. It's all I can do to keep up with USPSA matches.

Maybe I missed something here, but I thought that when USPSA bought Steel Challenge that our memberships coexisted. In other words my USPSA membership allows me to shoot Steel challenge matches. Am I wrong in that beleif?

Don

As I understand it, USPSA bought Steel Challenge, and USPSA members received a free 2008 membership in Steel Challenge. While there is a discount for joining both organizations, the memberships are still separate.

USPSA members should get a SC membership so that the USPSA can get back the money of yours that the BOD spent to buy the SC.

When was there a vote from the membership as to the spending of our dues to purchase the SC? Does the membership of USPSA gain any benefit from USPSA purchasing the SC other than it might allow USPSA to generate more revenue? How does that benefit the membership?

OK, so membership dues pay for Front Sight and the salaries of the HQ staff. What else does the membership dues pay?

How many renewing active members are there each year?

The $3 per shooter per classifier pays for that part of the book keeping.

Level II and Level III matches are pretty much paid for out of the entry fees.

It doesn't really matter where the money goes, but at some point the governing body of any organization is like the US government. You kind of wonder where the money goes. I pay my membership to be allowed to participate, and will continue to as long as I plan to play.

BTW, there's not a steel match in a 2.5 hour drive of where I live.

Gentlemen, drop the rhetoric about USPSA buying SC and you not getting a vote. That is political and has been beat to death. It won't be allowed here.

Please allow the topic to stay open.

-Admin

The question is:

I just got a renewal request from the Steel Challenge for the membership that was given to all USPSA members. I love shooting steel, but only get to shoot a bona fide steel match once a year, and to the best of my knowledge that match isn't affiliated with the Steel Challenge.

I'd love to support the organization, and would love to see more clubs affiliate, but is there really any benefit to being a member if you live too far away to compete in matches?