Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Teased By The Weather

LPatterson

Look outside and it's sunny and no wind blowing and the thermometer reads Plus 40 (more later). Grab a bag of .22's (too much snow to find brass) and head to the range. Get out to unlock the gate and the winds blowing 10-15, normal it's coming across 2000 acres of wheat field. Put the steel A zone targets up about 6 feet apart so I can do transition drills after some group shooting. Shooting at 25 yards and I'm getting 85-90% hits with the 617 for the first 80 shots (8 DS-10 speed loaders). Going to transitions and I'm overshooting the target pretty consistently going left to right when I realize I am moving the gun and looking for the target through the sights. Move the targets further apart and move down to 10 yards to increase the angle and move the eyes to the target and then the gun. Cut down on the overswing but the times went up compared to right to left. Trigger finger started getting tired so I decided to get out the 22/45 when I noticed the sun was hazy and a solid black cloud was right behind it. Managed to shoot 2 mags before the winds went up to about 30MPH and the temp was dropping. By the time I got home the temp was down to 20 and the snow was blowing everywhere.

While the east was getting pounded with snow the Rocky Mountains had real temps to -30 and wind chills to -60 before winter ever started, the weather guessers are predicting we might get above freezing sometime late next week. I would like to ask those of you in the southern climes to go out and shoot some for me so I can feel better. Hopefully by March I can get out and do it for myself.

I should have mentioned that my complaint was for Christmas Day and I should have been happy for what I had.

12/26 I decided to go see what sales wally world had and I opened the door to a foot of snow covering the truck. After digging the truck out and following several 4 wheel drive trucks at 20 MPH I made it to wally world and an almost empty parking lot. No sales to speak of so it was a wasted trip. I hope the sun stays out for a while to crust the snow or we could have a mella of hess when the wind blows.

Hate day time soaps so I guess I'll have to dry fire.

Mr. Patterson,

I wish we could get some of that cold weather. We have been stuck in a heat wave for the last couple of weeks here on the muggy gulf coast. We had one morning when we hit freezing but other than that the temps have been running 65-75 during the day with 60-65 at night. I don't want the multi-inch continuous snowfall, but it would be nice to have a winter where the temps run where they are supposed to...30's to 50's.

sweatin' in Dixie,

dj

Sam,

Thanks for the thought and I was using the 617 because I got pressured into shooting revo at Area 1. I think we will have four on the squad shooting the BRT well almost 2 are shooting 610's.

DJ,

Careful what you wish for because a week ago we had -60 wind chills. Now it is on zero with 12" of snow and 20MPH winds. Gettinga face into the wind is like geting cut with a knife.

Kevin,

That is why they call it the Great North Wet back when I was stationed at Neah Bay we had 2 weeks of fog and had to listen to that silly foghorn at the automated light house off shore. Besides the Puget Sound motto is "We don't tan we rust."

Yeah, but I am NOT in the Puget Sound! (WA/ID Border)

Fricking blizzard here right now. Snowing so hard I can barely see across the street. We've already canceled our steel match for tomorrow and I suspect our USPSA match next Sunday will be toast as well. Seems our "bays" are full of drifted in snow.

Fricking blizzard here right now. Snowing so hard I can barely see across the street. We've already canceled our steel match for tomorrow and I suspect our USPSA match next Sunday will be toast as well. Seems our "bays" are full of drifted in snow.

You have a week --- someone must have a shovel or a snowblower, or a plow......

Might not do any good or at least not much other than having less to clear. Forecast for this area is more snow with some rain followed by more snow. For at least a couple more weeks. Beyond that they say that it is winter here in the NW and we can expect to see lots of cold and snow during some winters. It is just that this winter is making up for all those in the past where we didn't get very much of the white stuff.

I feel for LPatterson. I used to live in Montana, but I must admit that I lived in the "banana belt" about 65 miles south of Butte. There we didn't get much snow, but we sure did get cold.

DJ,

Careful what you wish for because a week ago we had -60 wind chills. Now it is on zero with 12" of snow and 20MPH winds. Gettinga face into the wind is like geting cut with a knife.

Yessir, You are quite correct. I've just been fussin' because it's hard to hunt deer in 75 degree temperatures. I actually sat in a deer stand after todays pistol match wearing short pants. :surprise:

But it was nice shooting this morning with the temps at 70 or so.

Hope it warms up soon for you guys.

dj

The access road has been plowed by a friendly farmer who lives next door but there is no where to put the snow from the bays which tend to drift mostly full...as in, entirely full. And, undoubtedly, someone has left props and stuff in the bays that are now entombed in snow making things a bit dicey if we don't want to destroy them.

And, like DMS42 said...more snow coming. Supposed to start in again around midnight.

Sam,

That is not fair, after 12" of snow, the temps went into the 40's with a high wind advisory (peak gust here 49MPH). So I am faced with the same problems as Kevin except our range road is gated and crosswise of the wind so I don't care to see how high the drifts are. News pictures from the Rocky Mountain Front show drifts higher than the police car blocking the road from travel.

Back in the old days I remember drifts between Waverly & Waterloo IA being as high as the phone lines. Before global warming.

The access road has been plowed by a friendly farmer who lives next door but there is no where to put the snow from the bays which tend to drift mostly full...as in, entirely full. And, undoubtedly, someone has left props and stuff in the bays that are now entombed in snow making things a bit dicey if we don't want to destroy them.

And, like DMS42 said...more snow coming. Supposed to start in again around midnight.

I figured it was something like that ---- it was fairly tongue in cheek.....

That amount of snow is pretty inconceivable for me.....

I've lived places where shoveling the stuff was required, but nothing on that scale. Brrrr.

My father in law told me many times of his youth in Wyoming, and how a lot of houses had trapdoors built into the roof so you could get out in the winter after the drifts would pile up to the roofline.

:surprise:

I may bitch about the humidity here in the South, but I'm glad we don't have to shovel it or climb over it to get outside.

When I went out this afternoon to remove the current issue of snow from the driveway the snow in the bed of my truck was cab high.

If I left right now and headed to DV8's place in Georgia I'd probably get there with at least half a truck load that I could unload onto his driveway. Long way to go to get rid of the snow, but I'm running out of places to put it and it just might as well be in his driveway as mine. :roflol:

When I went out this afternoon to remove the current issue of snow from the driveway the snow in the bed of my truck was cab high.

If I left right now and headed to DV8's place in Georgia I'd probably get there with at least half a truck load that I could unload onto his driveway. Long way to go to get rid of the snow, but I'm running out of places to put it and it just might as well be in his driveway as mine. :roflol:

I'm sure we could think of some cold, frosty adult beverage to make with it.

Snow-geritas! All the road salt on it would negate the need for salting the glasses. :wacko:

We mostly got rain and wind here today. Then it got cold and now we can play hockey on the streets.

LeRoy, our range road is gated and cross-wise to the wind too.

Well the Banana Belt set a new record of 30" of snow for the month of December. Not much compared to Camp Drum or Sault Ste Marie but lots more than Biloxi or Jacksonville.

In my 23 years in the military I was stationed 17 different places and 2 places were 3 years each so I have seen lots of weather.

We've set a new record here for December. Just a bit shy of 60", with more snow in the forecast for Wednesday. And to start the new year out right we have snow forecast for Thursday and Friday and possible on Saturday.

Snow in the yard is almost up to the top of the 4 ft. fence. Last time I measured I had 28 inches of snow on the roof. We've had 8 inches of wet snow since then.

I would still like to find someone where there is no snow that would take me as a houseguest until spring time in Spokane.