Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why aren't people making longer comps?

RevolverJockey

I was browsing through the rules to make sure that the SJC Titan comp is Limited Legal, and noticed that most comps are well under the limit (muzzle to the end of the comp). Seems like most comps could be more efficent if they were longer. I believe I have even heard Benny mention in here that if he could make his Thunder comp over 3" OAL, it might be better. Am I missing something here? The reason this all came up was looking for a comp for a Sabre Competition (Limited). I already have a Cooley, have borrowed a Titan and could certainly afford whatever (looking seriously at the thunder).. Barrel is 18", 1/8, 410 matte stainless medium contour, fluted and I will be shooting almost exclusively 55gr minor. if anyone wants to kick out some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I was browsing through the rules to make sure that the SJC Titan comp is Limited Legal, and noticed that most comps are well under the limit (muzzle to the end of the comp). Seems like most comps could be more efficent if they were longer. I believe I have even heard Benny mention in here that if he could make his Thunder comp over 3" OAL, it might be better. Am I missing something here? The reason this all came up was looking for a comp for a Sabre Competition (Limited). I already have a Cooley, have borrowed a Titan and could certainly afford whatever (looking seriously at the thunder).. Barrel is 18", 1/8, 410 matte stainless medium contour, fluted and I will be shooting almost exclusively 55gr minor. if anyone wants to kick out some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Lee

That's above my pay grade Mitch, but I do no there is only so much gas that can be used for the comp.... and that should limit the length. I would think it would be the law of diminished returns.

That's above my pay grade Mitch, but I do no there is only so much gas that can be used for the comp.... and that should limit the length. I would think it would be the law of diminished returns.

Kind of what I was thinking, but it seems like like the tank break is the only one out there that is not legal. Why set a rule with limits that no one is exceeding anyway? The Titan dwarfs almost every comp I have ever seen, and by my measurements, is still >1/4" under the wire.

I guess I will just stick with the SJC, the main reason for wanting the Rolling Thunder is because it would match the barrel. When I looked on Brownells (dealer discount) I couldnt tell if it was the new or old one. Anyone know if they have the new one in stock?

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I'm no Engineer, but I like to tinker with stuff..........I totaly agree with the "only so much gas" concept.

Also, taking into consideration the quantity and chamber/port/bullet exit hole sizes. Your trying to shove alot of gas through some smaller holes with large chambers in between bleeding off gas as it exits the comp. The bullet exit holes are the same size from chamber to chamber. It would appear to me that most of the gas is used up in the first chamber. Look at P.E. Kelleys picture of the Rolling Thunder (which is what I use) and see where the largest concentration of flames are. Powder charge/burn rate would have alot to do with the comps effectiveness (muzzle movement). I've been experimenting with 55 NBT's and a fast powder vs. 68 bthp and a slower powder. Obviously, you get a faster/snappier recovery with the 55's (better for what we do). Slower powders seem to work the comp more (not sure if thats good or bad) with the added dwell time..............

Longer, hard to say what you'd get..!!! Yep, I'm still searching. But I'm running the best comp so far.......

Dan

Edited by D.carden

When the 1x3inch rule came into force there really weren't that many comps on the market. The last couple years have seen many more designs become popular. As far as the length, part is diminishing returns, part is overall length of the rifle. If I have a 20" rifle to start and add a 2 inch comp I'm at 22" overall, which is getting a bit long for some stages. If I remove metal from the bbl and add length to the comp to keep it the same overall, I lose a bit of performance for the gain to the comp effectiveness. Might be worth it might not. The comps that are in common use now are very effective, I'd rather keep the shorter package in .223. Now on my new .308, that's getting a Titan.

I just don't see how some of these can get any better! I have an SJT Titan and it eliminates felt recoil and no muzzle rise.

Put the buttstock against the bridge of your nose and pull the trigger and then report back regarding "eliminates the felt recoil." ;)

Yes, I have tried it... With a BB gun when I was a kid. They DO kick...LOL!

I just don't see how some of these can get any better! I have an SJT Titan and it eliminates felt recoil and no muzzle rise.

Put the buttstock against the bridge of your nose and pull the trigger and then report back regarding "eliminates the felt recoil." ;)

Yes, I have tried it... With a BB gun when I was a kid. They DO kick...LOL!

Now that would be just wrong! :roflol:

Benny's new comp is longer, and very effective, try out the new comp from Nordic Components its inexpensive and very effective given that its only like 1.75" long total.

thunder, SJC, JP, and Nordic are very similar in effectiveness.

trapr

Where can we get the new Benny comp? Is it available yet?

Directly from Triangle, or now at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...&st=&s=

I have 3 diff comps on my guns. Benny's comp works the best for me. I have been playing with the guns getting ready for the Tx Carbine match. Shot them all on the timer and bench, his will be the choice. Now it's out to the range to pick a load for the match.

Mike