Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI primers

stonedogs

Welcome to the forums!!

I bought about 50K of them 5 or 6 years ago, I fought the damn things in the press and in the primer pick up tubes through the entire batch, all equipment used was Dillon. They would hang up in the pick up tubes, hang up in the magazine tube for the press, and generally cured me of using them. I never had a problem with them lighting or shooting well, and 90% of them went through revolvers with 7-8 pound DA pulls. Measuring the cup diameters they were all over the map and bad enough to make getting rid of them dowrange total hell. I haven't bought another CCI primer since. If they fixed the cup problems they should be fine, if they didn't fix the cup problems I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I'd buy a thousand or two and make sure they work OK for you before buying any quantity. I have used Winchester and Federal without issue since I had problems with the CCI.

Welcome to the forums!!

I bought about 50K of them 5 or 6 years ago, I fought the damn things in the press and in the primer pick up tubes through the entire batch, all equipment used was Dillon. They would hang up in the pick up tubes, hang up in the magazine tube for the press, and generally cured me of using them. I never had a problem with them lighting or shooting well, and 90% of them went through revolvers with 7-8 pound DA pulls. Measuring the cup diameters they were all over the map and bad enough to make getting rid of them dowrange total hell. I haven't bought another CCI primer since. If they fixed the cup problems they should be fine, if they didn't fix the cup problems I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I'd buy a thousand or two and make sure they work OK for you before buying any quantity. I have used Winchester and Federal without issue since I had problems with the CCI.

i switched over from winchester that gave me a lot of failure to fire!!

I switched over to CCI and they go bang everytime on my STI, EAA open gun.

just make sure that you have the extended firing pin and 17lbs main

spring or higher and you wont have problems!

Newer packaged CCI SPP seem to be better than the older packaged ones we used to get up here. Last 5,000 have worked well in my Dillon and certainly have gone bang everytime. Not sure if CCI changed something but the difference in quality is noticeable.

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

I was told by folks at the CCI primer plant (about 50 miles from me) that they completely redid the primer manufacturing a few years ago because of tolerance issues. Not sure how long ago that was though.

I shot through about 20K of them before they got impossible to find so switched to Winchester (which is now hard to find). I had zero failures and zero problems cranking them through Dillon equipment (SDB and 550B). I'm about 10K into the WSPs and WSRs and have had several failures to fire so far.

I started with CCI primers 2 years ago on a 550. The upper lip of them seemed to curve outward more than WSP and that lip would too frequently catch in the edge of the primer pocket and turn the primer sideways before it was shoved into the pocket. I also had problem with them hanging on the depriming pin when reloading cases that I had previously loaded with CCI. I won't touch them, now.

I was told by folks at the CCI primer plant (about 50 miles from me) that they completely redid the primer manufacturing a few years ago because of tolerance issues. Not sure how long ago that was though.

I shot through about 20K of them before they got impossible to find so switched to Winchester (which is now hard to find). I had zero failures and zero problems cranking them through Dillon equipment (SDB and 550B). I'm about 10K into the WSPs and WSRs and have had several failures to fire so far.

That sounds like I should try them again.

I have not had a Winchester primer fail to fire that was seated correctly in my guns. I used Winchester almost exclusively for the last two years and I have had 3 or 4 'clicks' in that time, they were all high primers that could have been caught had I done due diligence in checking the ammo after loading.

I'm using Wolf in both small pistol and rifle, can't get Winchester and the Wolf are $25 less per flat from the supplier I'm using.

Not having any issues with Wolf, they all go bang.

I guess thats a little off topic for CCI primers.

Edited by DJM3808

Thanks for the input. Looks like I need to go ahead and give them a shot. For the price I'm getting them at I can put up with a few loading problems as long as they go bang! Thanks for the welcome and for the replys. I hope everyone has a Happy and safe Holiday. Please when getting together with family and friends this Christmas remember our men and women in the armed forces!!!!!!! And the next time you see one of these fine people tell them Thanks!!!!

Merry Chirstmas!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using them for about four months now and have had no problems in both of my Dillions. I have always used Winchester but have had trouble getting them lately so went with the CCI and haven't had any issues.

Hope that might help a bit.

CCI's all went bang with my STOCK G35 striker spring. However, I had many many light strikes with a wolf reduced power striker spring in the same gun.

I have also used Winchester spp's which work fine with the reduced striker spring.

The CCI's loaded just fine on my LNL. No complaints in that department.

• 1 month later...
I started with CCI primers 2 years ago on a 550. The upper lip of them seemed to curve outward more than WSP and that lip would too frequently catch in the edge of the primer pocket and turn the primer sideways before it was shoved into the pocket. I also had problem with them hanging on the depriming pin when reloading cases that I had previously loaded with CCI. I won't touch them, now.

Roughly about 18 months ago i bought roughly 7000 CCI lare pistol primers, couldn't

get much else.

I'm loading on a 650. They do hang up in my primer pick up tubes, and on occasion

i get flipped primers in ammo. I couldn't recommed them, they a real pain.

Anyone have a phone number for CCI...

Jim

When I first started reloading, I loaded a few thousand of the small pistol primers for 9mm on a Lee Pro about a year and a half ago for a factory stock Glock 19. The only problem I had was some inconsistent seating (which was probably due to my being overly timid with my pressure).

I now have a 550B and would probably give them a try for 9mm again if that was all I could get. I actually prefer Win primers, but given the current stocks may have to try some CCI's for .40 this year.