Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 101

xxpmeric

Hi Guys,

I just started shooting lately, and just realized as all of you did that it would be astronomically economical to get into reloading my own ammo. So i'm basically new to reloading and seeking basic information regarding the subject. I'm actually still at the planning stage. I have done some research but haven't found some substantial materials to read, what i saw are mostly what you can call intermediate or advanced discussions/topics. Some are also very technical in nature, and leaves a lot of questions on my mind.

Could you guys suggest some 'Reloading for Dummies' kind of sites? Preferably with some illustrations and examples, and step by step process.

Thanks a lot!

i would suggest buying Lymans reloading manual. Also if you know somebody at the range that you could watch and see how it's done.

a single stage press will be slow but you'll learn more. a progressive press like the dillon 650 will be much faster but harder to understand when there is a problem.

Don't waste money on a single stage press - if you are going to be reloading any amount you will soon discover that a progressive is the only way to go and that Dillon is THE machine. There is a reloading video available on this site which might be a good way to start if you can't find somebody to work with.

Could not agree more w/Lynn re: find an experienced reloader willing to teach. Short of that, the Lyman book is quite good (though the IPSC chapter is rather dated since it still lists the old 175 power factor). You may also consider the very inexpensive Lee book for an intro. Read what you can before you spend anything on equipment.

I took the advice of many & first bought a single stage press to learn on even though I knew it was not the right tool for volume loading & would soon be discarded. If you go this route, understand you will eventually NEED a progressive like the Dillon (preferred) and the single stage press will probably end up sitting in a box under your reloading bench - this is one reason why you might consider skipping the single stage press altogether.

Keeping in mind the eventual NEED for a progressive/Dillon, DO NOT buy a premium brand single stage press! Instead, the LEE brand presses are very, very inexpensive and the LEE pistol dies you buy will work on the Dillon you eventually buy. I still use & recommend Lee dies - I cannot say the same for the Lee progressive presses, but the Single stage Lee presses are certainly fine to start and they will not break the bank.

BTW, what caliber? Which sport are you planning to shoot?

Don't be intimidated by the process.

Less than a year ago I had never even watched a reloader and talked with our host "Brian" and ordered a 550b and video on it's use from him. I did have someone come over and watch (help) with the set up and I love the 550b. After two hours of getting use to it I can run 450 rounds an hour easy. I did not get the roller handle which is extra and accually love the stock ball handle because I feel the primer seating better.

When you need brass contact scharch brass for there 100 % processed brass which has been roll sized (no glock bellies) de-primed and polished to new standards. It runs around $33 per thousand delivered. old john

You can never have too many loading manuals.

So, buy several now, I really like the Lee manual. It's a condensed version of the powder manufacturers data, and a fairly good source of basic reloading knowledge, it's not everything you will ever need, and naturally only endorses Lee products, but the first 1/3 or so of the book covers a fair bit of ground.

Lyman is good too, as is Hornady, and Speer.

Midway has them all, Lee ran 12.95 a while back.

Cheapest single stage I have seen is also Lee, like not much over $20 ( definately not a fancy press and something to upgrade fairly quickly )

Good luck

Travis F.

The best "how-to" for reloading, EVER :) , is the Dillon VHS tape that features our host Brian Enos, loading ammo on an XL650 press. It's called Competition Reloading and its for sale on this site. The basics Brian shows will apply to any progressive press - I strongly advise you buy a Dillon.

I have 2 Square Deals and its all I need because I have no intention of loading for rifle. For USPSA 3-gun shooting, my friends who shoot that all use factory (cheap box) .223 ammo anyway.

A buddy of mine got the tape free with his XL650 press. Honestly you wouldn't need much else except to have a bullet/powder combination written down. There are lots of good loads listed on these forums, and if you want to load for 40cal, 38super, 9x21, or 10mm, you can email me & I'll give you some starting loads.

Ask your friends when they will chrono next and join them. After a match, while the scores are being figured, is a good time to do that. I write down in 6 columns: bullet; powder charge; avg velocity; hi/low velocities, mean avg deviation - MAD; and power factor. Good luck.

dvc - eric - a28026

There are a couple of threads, too, with photos of our respective work-station setups with ideas about how they might look and what kind of space they might occupy in the home. I just set up my Dillon Square Deal B in a discreet little compact closet bench situation last weekend and am up and crankin' already. I'm very new to reloading, too, but you'd be surprised what I've learned from both this forum and from hanging out at the range talkin' to the guys about this stuff... or just listening to a discussion. It all sinks in sooner or later.

Moreover, I took the time to collect all my tools and materials separately and carefully and had time to understand what each one did and why I had to have them. It all came together at once and suddenly I found myself pulling the Blue Press handle and "rolling my own." Boy, talk about convenient--and less expensive, you bet.

By the way, the Square Deal is designed to load pistol ammo only, so if you have designs on loading for rifle you may wish to purchase a different model.

Good luck!