Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A little "circus like" Neutralize and Eliminate

Greetings B.E. community,

This is one of my first stage designs. It is a little "circus" like. Most will chuckle when you look at it and dismiss it as a beginners design. However, remember that you can change anything that you don't like as long as you give due credit. I think it will be a fun stage and a little change from the routine. Remember, I have thick skin as long as you have positive intent. I have not used this stage and will look for feedback.

So have at it and enjoy,

DVC

p2000lefty

Neutralize_and_Eliminate.doc

Why would you have the shooter run all the way out to retrieve the gun and then back to the original starting position in order to start shooting? Might be better if it the shooting starts where you retrieve the gun. Maybe this makes better flow.

stage01.doc

Edited by racerba

I like it. Knocking the NS out of the way is kinda cool.

Why would you have the shooter run all the way out to retrieve the gun and then back to the original starting position in order to start shooting? Might be better if it the shooting starts where you retrieve the gun.

Keep in mind, things always look different on paper. The distance that the shooter needs to move may only be a step or two to the left and then to the right to get back into the shooting box.

Edited by sirveyr

Why would you have the shooter run all the way out to retrieve the gun and then back to the original starting position in order to start shooting? Might be better if it the shooting starts where you retrieve the gun. Maybe this makes better flow.

Why would you need to do that, take a mag or two with you when you go get the gun. This start opens up a lot of possibilities, I like it may not use it as it is but may use this start concept sometime in the future.

FYI. "All magazines on the table" stages will make people shooting in four out of the six divisions hate you. Open and Limited - no big deal. Load one and stow one, but why would you want to put Revolver, SS, Production, and L-10 through that nonsense? :angry2:

ETA: oh and by the way, if you use the word "magazine" instead of ammunition or ammunition carrier, the revolver shooters can legally ignore your intent and start with all of their moon clips / speed loaders on their belt.

Edited by Steve J

I agree. Also, somebody is deifinitely going to get DQ'd for picking their gun up from the wrong side of the barrel. Not saying the stage should be DQ proof, but to do this one safely, you'd have to knock down the NS, then run around the barrel so you could pick up your gun while facing downrange, then run to the shooting area.

Thank you all,

I knew this one would open up some "cans". Thank you all for taking the time. I always see it through new eyes when you give suggestions. Make it safe, fun, and challenging for you and your shooters.

Steve J- I will change to ammunition carrier in the description. The idea that I had was that you will be competing against others with the same situation; revolver, single stack, etc... so how fast can you get the ammo on your belt? Do you even need to put it on your belt? So often we have comfort in the fact that we have more ammo on us that we would ever need. What would you grab when you are working against the timer?

Rob D- Safety and teaching should always be in the front of everyones mind. Better to learn the lesson with a unloaded gun.

danial97- By all means modify to suit your shooters. You would have to change the fault lines. Please post or send me what you come up with, I would like to see it.

sirveyr- Thank you! I was going to title it "Conscientious Objector", but I though it too loaded for people to get upset about. Thank you for pointing out that the distances are always negotiable. Set it up for your shooters.

racerba- Yes, that may improve the flow. My idea was that you would have to run to get the gun because we usually start shooting as soon as the gun is in our hands. Mentally challenging that notion is what I was going for in this design.

DVC,

p2000lefty

Why would you need to do that,...

Yes, I would take a mag or two with me, but look where the first target is. It would be impossible to shoot it from anywhere but near the start position. So you would have to go back to the start position to shoot it, not to retrieve mags.

Yes, I know that the actual set up will/may be different than the diagram, but just going by the diagram...

racerba,

It would be a good plan to take at least one mag to load and get ready to shoot as soon as you enter the fault lines as laid out. Or you could put three mags on your belt and one in your hand and run to get the gun. Then load and be ready to shoot when you re-enter the fault lines. Do a quick mag change from a mag left on the table then move down the fault lines. The possibilities are many. It would really depend on you mag capacity and how far you think it through.

Let me know how your idea works. I could use this again... I like all the possibilities.

DVC,

p2000lefty

If one person was DQ,ed because of stage design I feel that I failed in my design. Not dropped gun ad etc, there is no reason to set the gun that way, unless it is to try to trip them up. You can do the same thing and place the gun in front for retrieval. I like the design but would change the pistol position.

rupie,

I would never set up a stage to get anyone DQed. That is just dangerous. Stressing safe gun handling and teaching safety is what will prevent that; stage design still needs to be challenging.

Maybe I don't understand, The barrel of the gun is pointed down range when you pick it up. Oh, I think that I get it now!!!! I'm a lefty and I can grab it strong hand and return to the fault lines. You must be righties who would have to not break the 180 on the return trip to the fault lines running with the barrel across your body and not sweeping your left hand?

Please modify it to make it safe for you and your shooters.

DVC,

p2000lefty

...because we usually start shooting as soon as the gun is in our hands. Mentally challenging that notion is what I was going for in this design.

Well, it would be impossible to start shooting before the gun is in our hand. <_<

racerba,

It would be a good plan to take at least one mag to load and get ready to shoot as soon as you enter the fault lines as laid out.

Yes, it would be a good plan, which was why I said I would have taken "a mag or two with me" (see previous post). Now, what would be better is - in the course description, you specify that you cannot touch your mags (or ammunition carrying device) until you retrieve your gun.

Actually I was looking at it wrong. I pictured the front of the no-shoot to be the other side which naturally places you facing the wrong way looking at the barrel. I missed that you are looking at the front of the no-shoot so you are on the correct side (spectator side) of the barrel when you pick up the gun.

p2000lefty,

Consider adding a barrel to the foot of each wall and mandate that 'all ammunition carriers' be placed on any/all barrels and/or the table.

Open/Limited won't care and the Prod/L10/Revolver folks will prefer it as they won't have to stand at the table to 'stuff their pouches'.

You are correct in that each division competes only with others using similar equipment, but reloading from a table seems to be more akin to a 'shooting skill test' than standing flatfooted and stuffing a mag pouch/moonclip holder on the belt.

The idea that I had was that you will be competing against others with the same situation; revolver, single stack, etc... so how fast can you get the ammo on your belt? Do you even need to put it on your belt?

My thoughts exactly. I like it. :)

I made a similar start a few years ago based on this same idea. A very experienced shooter mentioned that if we posted our scores in an overall format as well as individual that perhaps having the start be to load one mag off the table might be a more even playing field for all, as the lower cap divisions still ha to perform the additional reloads without the added time of loading up the belt as well. He shot limited so the start had no advantage to him, or his girlfriend who shot open. So I pondered it a little and changed the start to reflect that.

However, either start is fair.

p2000lefty,

Please explain what is the purpose of the NS1 next to the start barrels? What does NS1 add to the CoF?

I gather that NS1 is the conscientious objector who, though standing next to the gun/ammo, stands-by while we as competitors engage the targets?

The Stage Procedure says "Upon start signal, engage "NS1" with hand in upper

A and/or B zone. Then retrieve...". Do we engage NS1 by touching it or knocking it over?

• 4 weeks later...

p2000lefty,

I guess you could say this weekends match was in your honor as I borrowed several of your stages. I did eliminate the NS from the starting position but the ammo on the table, and unloaded gun on the barrel evoked quite a few comments from my shooters. Thanks again for the great stage.

Norm