Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Depriming pin pulling out in Lee die for .223

I've just started reloading .223 Remington on a 550 and have been quite happy with the first several hundred I've made and shot. After about 500 rounds through it, the depriming pin pulled out of the Lee die I'm usin g and stuck in the flash hole of the PMC case I was resizing/depriming. I went and got another depriming pin/carrier:

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/2172.jpg

That one lasted less than 50 cases before it pulled out and stuck in another flash hole. I lubed the cases liberally with Dillon case lube and let them sit/dry out for over a day (took me that long to get another part).

Here is the die:

Lee1a.jpg

I have been installing it with the top of the depriming "rod" (what is the proper name for that thing?) flush with the top of the "clamping nut" (yet another part for which I don't know the name). Is this right?

Lee2a.jpg

Here is a pic of where the pin has pulled out:

Lee3a.jpg

Never seen that happen with Lee dies. There are some brands of .223 cases that have small flash holes. I reduced the diameter of the pin on a universal decapper I had to deprime a batch of cases with small flash holes.

I woudl try using a different brand of cases if possible. OTher than that, I would try and reduce the diameter of the decapping pin so it doesn't stick in the flash hole.

Neal in AZ

You are installing the pin correctly. Lube issues usually result in a case stuck in the die. I think I'd call Lee and see what they have to say. I use Lee dies but have pretty limited experience with rifle stuff, I've loaded some 308 and never had any issues.

Even though they don't have the "no BS" warranty they will probably send out a decapping pin or two. I broke one off in a pistol die once and they sent it out even though they knew it was my fault.

Someone with more experience will chime in...

I've had this problem with my Lee .223 die. Chuck the decapping pin into a drill press and polish it with some very fine sandpaper, and make the upper taper that expands the case neck more gradual. Then, rough up the stem that clamps into the die with some coarse emery cloth so it will get better traction. It fixed mine.

eta: Scratch that, I didn't read well. I thought you were pulling the entire stem out, not just the pin. I've not had that problem.

Edited by Red_SC

no experience at all with this issue.

and like the guy who has found a hammer is the solution....

all problems look like nails.

I'd at least try high strength loc-tite on the part

that is not supposed to move.

loc-tite is surprisingly effective.

miranda

Never seen that happen with Lee dies. There are some brands of .223 cases that have small flash holes. I reduced the diameter of the pin on a universal decapper I had to deprime a batch of cases with small flash holes.

I woudl try using a different brand of cases if possible. OTher than that, I would try and reduce the diameter of the decapping pin so it doesn't stick in the flash hole.

Neal in AZ

The first was PMC and the second was something else, I don't remember at the moment. I will try polishing up the next one I put in.
I'd at least try high strength loc-tite on the part

that is not supposed to move.

I've had decent results with Loctite on threaded parts, but this is a press fit. To loctite these, I'd have to first remove the pin, then replace it with loctite.

I have found a solution, though! I unscewed the Lee die from the toolhead, opened the garage door, flung it as far as I could, and then installed this one:

Dillon1a.jpg

I'm thinking that the judicious use of a center punch and a ball peen hammer would have done the trick.

"Prick" a few dimples around the Lee decapping rod shaft, right above where the collet "fingers" engage the shaft and that would have kept the rod from getting pulled out.

yeah, the stuff is red colored.

I have used it for a lot of my tooling.

I make and modify model train parts.

I can't seem to get the clearances right for press fitting.

so, before I make another part, I try the high strength loctite.

clean with acetone and a sand a little.

It has not failed me yet.

miranda

High Lord Gomer,

I read read my post and realized I didn't answer your question.

there are a whole bunch of loctite products

and one of them may be stronger somehow.

I have not had the pleasure of trying them.

The stuff in the auto store has served me well

I punch holes in copper and brass and loc-tite brass sabots onto the punch pins.

It is a lot like your problem.

I pull the pins out of the brass and copper with the sabot.

miranda

I use that die and never had that problem, I have had the whole rod push up through

the top with some foreign three prone crimped brass that would not budge the primer.

I crancked on the 1/2' bolt on top beyond reason and now when that brass comes by it

punches a hole right through it but the pin is still tight ????? :roflol:

Send it back to Lee, they will fix it for free. I had a problem with my 223 die not sizing enough, they adjusted it and returned it for free. will cost you a few bucks in shipping to their factory, thats it. Send an email to info@leeprecision.com, they WILL respond. While I HATE my Lee Pro1000, at least they have a good warranty program.