Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder & Slide 1911 School

Paul Burtchell

I've always loved the course prerequisite from Bill's website.

You will be file fitting almost every part on your pistol. You must be able to handle the file to fit your parts correctly. You need to get a small odd shaped piece of cold rolled soft steel from your local machine shop. Take your file and try your best to file a perfect cube from the piece of steel. The cube only needs to be about 1" square. This will teach you to file straight and true to another surface. If you learn to file before you arrive, you will have much more time to learn the subject matter rather than concentrating on learning to file.

Several years ago, I had plans to attend the C&S class. And I was planning to attend the barrel fitting class this past July, but that didn't happen. It was going to be just under a grand to learn how to fit a barrel. And of course, you have to show up with "his" list of tools. I'm not saying anything bad about the guy. I understand where he is coming from. He needs everyone to be on the same page when they arrive. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

I bought the Gene Shuey DVD's and the Wilson Combat DVD's. That is what really got me hooked!!

Building guns is a blast!!! Start accumulating tools, and start reading the Kuhnhausen manuals.

It's great to learn to use a file, but you can use other methods....

I wish I could watch as you are building mine now. It would be cool to see how it's done. :cheers:

I think you should just show up at Matt's place unannounced. He won't mind!!

I wish I could watch as you are building mine now. It would be cool to see how it's done. :cheers:

I think you should just show up at Matt's place unannounced. He won't mind!!

:roflol: I'm sure all custom pistolsmiths would just love to have their clients looking over their shoulders. :wacko:

Hey, Post 1000.

Edited by baerburtchell

Now THAT sounds like a familiar scenario. :roflol:

I looked into going, even had my boss on board to send me. Then I assembled the required tool list, added the class cost, air travel, rental car AND getting paid by the hour to attend it added up to about $5K. Not surprisingly, it never happened.

$35 files vs. $2500 mill. I say 2.5G's because any mill worth buying is at least that much. Which is why I have files.

It takes less time to use a mill (except for some set up times), however some jobs are still better done with a file. No matter how good the machine, you still need the skill of a file on pistols. That and good dremel skillz too.

About 10-12 years ago I took a 1911 Accurizing class at Trinidad State Junior College in Trinidad, Colorado. The instructor was Jim Stroh who did a great job IMHO. The class was either one or two weeks depending on how much you wanted to learn with the first week covering trigger work, cutting front and rear sights on a mill and a few other items. The second week was dedicated to fitting the slide to frame, fitting the barrel and a few other items. The last day you cleaned and polished the frame, slide, etc. and blued everything.

The class I took was far enough back that squeezing and peening the slide/ frame was the predominant method of fitting as oversize frames and slides were just coming on the market. Yeah, I'm old.

I took another course several years back on AR-15's that was taught by Derek Martin of Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, AZ.

In both cases the cost of the class was very reasonable. You could stay on campus in a dorm or rent a motel room off campus. Dorm rooms were dirt cheap at the time but sparton at best. Meals were served at the campus cafeteria. Inexpensive and pretty good.

You provide your own hand tools with a list of suggested tools provided well in advance.

If you can take a week or two for the classes TSJC is a good alternative.

CYa,

Pat

If everything was straight and true I would do most of my fitting on a mill, but some of it isn't so I do some fitting with a file. There isn't anyone in the business with more sophisticated or accurate machinery than what I have to use, but the very best results are often still achieved by hand. It takes me 45-55 hours to build a gun, some others are building them in much less time, I think my methods are worth the extra time.

No matter how good the equipment is, the nature of gunsmithing and toolmaking is such that some things have to be final

fitted with a file or stone. You usually get one chance to do it right or start over with new parts. Those who are able and

willing to take the time to get it right are the ones I would want building a gun. The other guys will let small mistakes slide

by or try to cover them up. That is why we have the saying "The best way to make a small fortune in gunsmithing is to start

with a large one."