Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gas block?

-JQ-

I don't know one from the other but I'm mid build and was asked "which gas block do you want?" I have no idea but I guess I need one.

This is for a 18" barrel 3gun 5.56 running a Miculek (sp) comp. It will have a FF front end and no front site tower...

Thanks!

if the FF tube does not cover the gas block DPMS makes a nice 4 rail gas block, good for mounting anything.

Mfr: DPMS

Versatile Platform For Sighting & Lighting Accessories

Four Picatinny rails allow you to mount the right accessories for the task at hand. Lets you attach an iron sight, laser, night vision device and flashlight, all at the same time. Accepts Picatinny or Weaver-style rings. Attaches with dual set screws. Models for standard, .750" diameter barrels and .936" diameter, heavy, match barrels.

SPECS: Aluminum, black, anodized, matte finish. 1¾" (4.5cm) long, 1½" (3.5cm) wide, .750” (19mm) or .936" (23.8mm) I.D.

Edited by d5357

If your 18 in gun has a middy gas system you will need an adjustable gas block.

Really? I have a 16" bbl and a midlength gas system and it runs 100% without an adjustable gas block. Why would an 18" need the adjustability? I'm not being a wise guy, I really don't know the answer and am curious.

If your barrel came with a front sight assembly, I'd grind it down. If not and your barrel has a mid length gas system, I'd go with a low profile like a Larue. This gives you the option to run a longer FF. If your barrel has a rifle length gas system, you could go with any gas block. There are standard alum ones for around $35. If you like to tinker with stuff, get an adjustable block from JP.

Thanks gang!

This build is trying my patience a bit. First, learning about all the AR stuff...then getting laid off in the middle of a build...I agreed to a trade deal on this AR weeks before the job thing. A really nice pistol for the AR - the guy is putting it together pretty much how I want - if I only knew what I wanted at the start. This is going to be sweet when done - of course due mainly to this site and all you guys helping.

Now I know tons more than I did...but my patience is dimming...not the guys fault just bad timing. I can only play with my new burris XTR so much without a gun to put it on B)

To answer one of the questions...no I don't want to tinker with it...I just want it to run. I'm not worried about recoil impulse, etc...I'm a big fan of 7.62...I love recoil impulse...

....or a standard front sight assm cut off....

Not much magic

Jim

A plain jane front sight - cut down - with a little work from your grinder and belt sander makes a fine setup... even looks pretty good and streamlined.

+ 1

+ 1 more

If your 18 in gun has a middy gas system you will need an adjustable gas block.

I should have said may want instead of need an adjustable gas block. The main reason for me is not the normal less recoil (it is a .223) or faster follow up shot. The middy gas system has more than enough pressure and pulse time to work great. A person I trust told me to remember that AR's crap where they eat, and by using an adjustable gas block you can reduce the extra gas and dirt that is common in AR's. That being said I just completed a 18in with a rifle gas system and used a low profile gas block, and it works great.

If not mistaken it has a rifle length gas system. It should be in my hands by Christmas?!

The FF hand guard is just an aluminum no rail tube style. I may go carbon for weight savings down the road...maybe not.

This rifle deal has been very educational. I intended to just buy a "rifle"...or rather, trade a nice pistol for a nice rifle. This is a guy I've known and dealt with so no problem there...just figuring out all the details...has been educational.

If not mistaken it has a rifle length gas system. It should be in my hands by Christmas?!

The FF hand guard is just an aluminum no rail tube style. I may go carbon for weight savings down the road...maybe not.

This rifle deal has been very educational. I intended to just buy a "rifle"...or rather, trade a nice pistol for a nice rifle. This is a guy I've known and dealt with so no problem there...just figuring out all the details...has been educational.

In my experience, the carbon handguard is better in regards to heat. It doesn't get hot after a 40 round stage, and it doesn't get real cold on a fall day.