Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time For A New Barrel?

Chipster

I have a SV 40 cal (Schuemann barrel) that I have about 50k rounds through it. During practice this weekend two or three round out of 200 showed sights of tumbling on the paper targets. My friend said his 45 started doing this, put a new barrel in it and it stop tumbling. I examined the barrel. I found the land and groves are barely visible two thirds of the way down . I have another newer Schuemann barrel and the groves are very visible all the way to the camber area.

I thought I would be able to shot more round then this through a barrel.

Is it time for a new barrel?

Thanks

Chip

Same question, different symptoms

The Ultimatch barrel in my Open gun has about 30k rounds through it. I have noticed, lately:

-- the empties coming out the side are "sooty" (burned residue on the sides of the cases)

-- I consistently chrono about 3 PF lower than I did this time last year, with the same load

-- when I shoot groups, they've opened up some - not a lot, but enough to notice

My load is 8.3gr of N350 under a Montana Gold 115grain bullet, in a SuperComp case

Is it time for a new barrel?

If so, what wore out, and how do I keep it from doing that?

Bruce

I too would consider this a little too fast wear for a barrel, but my experience only relates to shooting lead in .40" and .45", I use copper plated bullets for match only.

If you shot 50k rounds with jacketed bullets, it might be normal.

Chipster,

I just had to change a Nowlin bull barrel in .40 S&W with major tumbling problems with both jacketed & lead bullets.

This particular barrel had roughly 35,000 rounds fired through it.... unfortunately it was time for it to go.

The wear was pre-mature because of my anal tendency in having the barrel spic & span after a cleaning.

I used flitz polish along with JB bore cleaner and JB bore bright every single time I cleaned the barrel.

This process rounded off the lands in the barrel amongst other things.... where as when new,the lands were sharp and gripped the bullet in its transition down the bore.

What I am trying to say here.... it is not just the rounds fired in a particular barrel that will wear it down.... but your particular cleaning technique that can be damaging the barrel slowly over time to the point that you may be pre-maturely shortening its service life.

Never, Never, put JB bore cleaner or JB bore bright down a bore for cleaning out a barrel.

Use bore solvents such as Hoppe's #9 or Birchwood Casey bore scrubber.

I learned my lesson the hard and expensive way.

Never, Never, put JB bore cleaner or JB bore bright down a bore for cleaning out a barrel.

Whoa there!

Using that stuff every time is an extreme example. We all know the abrasive paste erodes metal, but sometimes it's a necessity for getting lead or gook out. I've rescued cherished rifles with it.

When I get a new handgun, I tend to use the JB paste just as a quick way of getting the toolmarks out of the barrel, so gunk doesn't build up so badly. Then I never clean the barrel again and just keep the chamber clean. Cleaning your bore after every shooting session is a waste of time, IMHO. (I used to do it religiously, then I excommunicated myself. :P)

There is a middle ground in how we use tools.

EricW,

That was no example I gave you.... it is the truth.

I shoot lead for practice and jacketted for matches only, and can say that the barrel is difficult to get clean when it is time to clean it.

So I decided to speed things along and quiken the time spent cleaning.... I elected to use JB bore cleaner along with JB bore bright thereafter to finish up every single time I had a cleaning session....that did my barrel in.

You said it yourself.... it is a mild abrasive.

The owner of the reputable McMillan rifles has gone to say that if you use JB bore paste in his rifles.... that he will void the warranty.

As far as using it for a last resort or for saving a barrel that you feel was lost.... well.... I guess you have nothing to loose in that case?

I speak and state what I say from my personal experience with this product and not heresay.

Use it at your own peril.... use it for extreme cases.... and not for routine cleaning? :huh:

Hi Guys

Taked to Benny today, great guy and very helpful. I use 180 gr HP Zero bullets and Titegroup 4.9 gr oal 1.2. I agree with Benny. I shoot about 400 to 600 rounds in a quick practice session once or twice a week. I just burn out the barrel, but thats what I bought it for. The gun will be heading down to Benny's as soon as things slow down here in Minnesota and the snow starts to fly. (that could be next week :D ,just kidding)

Thank for the replies

Chip

Use it at your own peril.... use it for extreme cases.... and not for routine cleaning?

The next time I lap in the barrel of a new gun, I'll make sure I wear my official David Tubb bomb squad suit, lest any peril my way cometh.

:ph34r: