Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Latest Favorite Tr Quote

kimel

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out where the strong man

stumbled, or where a doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit

belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and

blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and who comes up short again and again,

who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a

worthy cause." (Teddy Roosevelt)

Thanks for reminding me of that one. ;)

"...The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood.."

That's my favorite part.

It reminds me of another famous quote that says something along the lines of ....I'd rather play the game and lose than not be in the game at all..

Kimel,

I too am a HUGE fan of TR and this quote is one of my favorites but you missed a line...

Theodore Roosevelt

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat".

From a speech given in Paris at the Sorbonne in 1910

Here's another (not TR) along the same lines;

"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart".

Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)

Ed

Sig Lady,

"Don't consider losses a waste of time. Consider them an apprenticeship".

Greg Norman Professional golfer

This is fun, I could keep this up all night! :)

Okay, one more, and then I promise I'll quit...

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race".

Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933) 30th U.S. President

Hey, thanks for the clarification. I didn't have the whole quote for all these years...now I do. ;)

Lots of other good quotes as well. Thanks all!

I have had to remind myself of this quote often the past couple weeks fighting the battles at work. :(

Here's another (not TR) along the same lines;

"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart".

Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)

Thanks. That comes in handy, after last weekend at the WA state IDPA champs.

Another one I like:

"A strong will is the best asset that a human being can possess. Not because it guarantees success or goodness, but because a weak will pretty much guarantees failure."

RnG--

Actually I DO manage to learn a lot from the league competions... different 'lessons' each time (thankfully) and this last one brought one or two good things to light that needed a tad bit of work. And I felt really good about what it was I observed this time around. B)

The mood in our league action is often, however, the "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!" thing. So I have to deal with that along with everything else. <_<:P

Still it's fun. ;)

Duane, Sorry about your IDPA match... bummer.

Nik, A good quote that I don't... err ah... didn't have. Thanks!

TDean, Here you go...

Three rules for success.

Number 1. Do what's right. Be on time, be polite, and be honest; remain free from drugs; and if you have any questions, get out your Bible.

Number 2. Do your best. Mediocrity is unacceptable when you are capable of doing better.

Number 3. Treat others, as you want to be treated. Practice love and understanding. -- Lou Holtz

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself. -- Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying basic fundamentals. -- Jim Rohn

Hard work often leads to success. No work seldom does. -- Harvey Mackay

The path to success is to take massive, determined action. --Anthony Robbins

You don't pay the price for success. You enjoy the price for success. -- Zig Ziglar

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

SiG Lady;

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out! (Author Unknown)

Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection. In fact, success represents 1 percent of your work, which results from the 99 percent that is called failure. Soichiro Honda (1906-1991) Industrialist

I'm going to take my medication now... Ed

• 1 year later...