Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wtb 410 o/u

Good Time Gang

What I like was a good tub set for a 20 Gage or a tube set for a 12.

The darn 410 is hard to load and cost more than regular 12.

A good Gage will pattern better and is easier to hand load.

I have a real nice Hornady 410 loader but I don't much have the patience to load on it.

If you are worried about recoil an 1100 28ga skeet model is nice. I started my daughter on a Beretta RL-3901 12ga with 1oz training loads and she loved it. She was 12 years old! She still uses the gun for STC but has moved to a beretta DT-10 for sporting clays. Stay away from the .410's they will make you poor overnight and piss a new shooter off!

You did not say what clay sport you were starting her in.

Depending on the size of your daughter, sub gauge tubes will make the gun pretty heavy, the last set I bought were around $400 per gauge.

410 is an unforgiving round for a beginner, 28ga. is about the most expensive round for skeet or sporting clays.

A 20ga. automatic like a 1100 Remington fit to her (youth model maybe) would be recoil friendly and will break any properly pointed bird.

My late shooting buddy was BAD-A$$ with a 20ga., he could break any skeet or sporting clay thrown with his "racers"

3/4 lead in a 20ga.

Trap is a 12ga. sport.

thanks for the info, i will look at amending my search for a 20 or 28 ga. gtg

I totally concur with suggesting that you start her on something other than a 28 gauge or .410 caliber, in my opinion they are more for the experts than a beginner, not to mention the high cost of ammo for them. You did not mention the sport you were concentrating on..... But, I would strongly suggest a gas operated 12 Gauge with a recoil suppressot in the stock, or possibly a Grayco style suppression system. A nice Beretta 391 Teknys, Remington 1100, or the Browning.

Not only recoil to be considered but the weight of an over/under.......

Get your hands on a current CDNN Investments catalog. (800) 588-9500.

They have a ton of shotguns on liquidation prices.

For example--- a new 20 guage Remington SPR over and under with 3 choke tubes for $379

I have no relationship with them... I just had their catalog on my desk when I saw this thread.

Good luck.

I would look at the automatics over the OU especially for a new, younger shooter. How old was she and what sport were you looking to start her with. The beretta 391 youth gun is a very good starter gun and has a little bit longer barrel than the 1100 and is lighter and alot more worry free as far as cleaning goes. The 28ga remington 1100 is also a very good starter gun if the shooter is to small to handle a 20 ga. The 28ga is very easy on the recoil yet still very capable of breaking the targets.

They make chamber length as well as full length tubes but the chamber length ones are marginal at best and the full length tubes are definately better. The big downside is they have some weight to them. This is something that is a good thing for skeet as long as the shooter is able to handle the weight. For a new shooter who is smaller and not use to holding the weight up a dedicated 20/28 ga auto is alot easier to use. Once they are use to the weight is is fine to move up to a heavier gun. When I was shooting my skeet gun weighed about 12.5 pounds but I was a bigger guy. I have seen females that I have shot with that are shooting 10+ pounds guns and doing VERY well with them while they are very small stature they have done it a while and got use to handeling the weight.

Edited by EkuJustice

There is only ONE good choice here - that is a Beretta 391 20 ga.

Have the shotgun fit to her and put a KICK-EEZ pad on it. Use or load light loads the recoil is not significant. Add to that the lower cost of ammo for a 20ga over 28s and 410s and you have a winner!

People think the smaller guages kick less. WRONG. Recoil is based upon the weight of the gun vs what the shot charge weight is and the pressure curve generated by the powder charge. 7/8" or 1oz of lead gives basically the same push to the shoulder no matter if is fired in a 410, 28 20 etc... The other factor is gas guns kick A BUNCH less than a O/O or a S/S.

Also, don't waste your time or money with a 391 youth model. I bought one for my 8 yesr old son and he only used it for a year before going to a standard 28" gun with the stock fit to him. The 28" barrel will give her a longer and smoother sighting plane. The weight of a 20Ga 391 is very low and easy for kids to handle. Not to mention when she needs a longer stock as she grows all you need to do is add some spacers. Room to grow here!

Don't - I repeat DON'T go with a Remington. They are a HEAVY, CLUNKY, POS compared to a Berreta. Not to mention they won't hold up over the years. 391 gas guns rule when it comes to clays!

Edited by LtdShooter

i am wanting to get my oldest daughter ready for the Olympics! i am shopping for a 410 over and under to start her on. if you have one, or know of a good cheap o/u for a youth please let me know. thanks, GTG

I did not have time to finish my thoughts earlier, I have been in the clays game a long time and not only instruct but offer advice on guns to those that seek my advice. In my opinion, as one that has shot most of the shooting events that exist, there is no shooting sport where "feel" and fit are more imoportant than in the shotgun target sports. There is no way that a person with a LOP of 13 can shoot a gun with a 14.5" LOP and be comfortable with it, let alone hit the broadside of a barn, except by being inside the barn!! Same goes with the Drop at heel and drop at comb. Women, usually have longer, more slender necks and shorter arms than men. One student I can remember is 5'4", 125, and has a very short arm length. She has a 13.25" Length of pull but also has an adjustable come in order to get her eyes to line up properly with the barrel and sight plane without having to cock her head over onto the stock. Once we got the gun to fit right, her perception of recoil also went down significantly as did the instances of her getting slapped in the cheek because her head was not on the stock.

My honest advice is to stay as far away from a .410 calibre, 28 , and 20 gauges IF your intent is to take her up the ladder into super competative target clay sporting events. Get her a high quality gas operated 12 gauge like the Remington 1100 or the Beretta 391 then call Wenig's ( the stock maker) and talk to them about their line of Ladies Stocks made specifically for the contour of a woman's upper body and neck. Remember, simply shortening the length of pull is not nearly enough!!! The Drop at heel and drop at comb are equally if not more important!!! So, in my opinion the Beretta 391 youth/Ladies model is not a good choice.

Unfortunately, the total number of women shooters (particularly in the shotgun target sports) are a very, very small percentage of overall shooter participation. Gun manufacturers are not going to make a gun specifically for women because the numbers just aren't there to justify the costs involved.

In my personal experience, the Beretta 391 and the Remington 1100 are great prospects. My Nod goes to the Remington 1100 because they can be purchased relatively cheap and then you can screw a Wenig's stock on one and have it ready to go at a fraction of the cost of an Over/Under........ If you want to progress to Hunting or other clay sports, alternative barells are readily available. You can have a nice 1100 with three or four barells, custom stock, recoil reduction system and case for a fraction of what many have in a Perazzi, Kemen, Kolar, Beretta DT10, Kreighoff or Seitz.

Just my opinion

i am wanting to get my oldest daughter ready for the Olympics! i am shopping for a 410 over and under to start her on. if you have one, or know of a good cheap o/u for a youth please let me know. thanks, GTG

I did not have time to finish my thoughts earlier, I have been in the clays game a long time and not only instruct but offer advice on guns to those that seek my advice. In my opinion, as one that has shot most of the shooting events that exist, there is no shooting sport where "feel" and fit are more imoportant than in the shotgun target sports. There is no way that a person with a LOP of 13 can shoot a gun with a 14.5" LOP and be comfortable with it, let alone hit the broadside of a barn, except by being inside the barn!! Same goes with the Drop at heel and drop at comb. Women, usually have longer, more slender necks and shorter arms than men. One student I can remember is 5'4", 125, and has a very short arm length. She has a 13.25" Length of pull but also has an adjustable come in order to get her eyes to line up properly with the barrel and sight plane without having to cock her head over onto the stock. Once we got the gun to fit right, her perception of recoil also went down significantly as did the instances of her getting slapped in the cheek because her head was not on the stock.

My honest advice is to stay as far away from a .410 calibre, 28 , and 20 gauges IF your intent is to take her up the ladder into super competative target clay sporting events. Get her a high quality gas operated 12 gauge like the Remington 1100 or the Beretta 391 then call Wenig's ( the stock maker) and talk to them about their line of Ladies Stocks made specifically for the contour of a woman's upper body and neck. Remember, simply shortening the length of pull is not nearly enough!!! The Drop at heel and drop at comb are equally if not more important!!! So, in my opinion the Beretta 391 youth/Ladies model is not a good choice.

Unfortunately, the total number of women shooters (particularly in the shotgun target sports) are a very, very small percentage of overall shooter participation. Gun manufacturers are not going to make a gun specifically for women because the numbers just aren't there to justify the costs involved.

In my personal experience, the Beretta 391 and the Remington 1100 are great prospects. My Nod goes to the Remington 1100 because they can be purchased relatively cheap and then you can screw a Wenig's stock on one and have it ready to go at a fraction of the cost of an Over/Under........ If you want to progress to Hunting or other clay sports, alternative barells are readily available. You can have a nice 1100 with three or four barells, custom stock, recoil reduction system and case for a fraction of what many have in a Perazzi, Kemen, Kolar, Beretta DT10, Kreighoff or Seitz.

Just my opinion

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1