Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Mosquito Sport or Walther 22 P22 Target?

steveyacht

While visting my local gun dealer, I looked at both the Walther and the Sig. I currently own a Ruger MKII Competition in stainless with Volquartson trigger, mag release and slide release. While I like my Ruger, I find them such a pain in the A** to reassemble I am inclinded to sell it, just for that reason. I will be using the gun(s) for general plinking, steel plate events and other USPSA type shooting. I know about the Buckmarks and the S&W Model 41's. The Smith is out of my budget while the Buckmark is still being considered. I would like to know if anyone has any hands on or anacdotal experince with either the Sig or Walther?

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Steve, take this for what it is worth.......They are plinkers that probably will not ever be reliable like your Ruger.

If you just want to shoot 50rds and hit some cans they might be adequate. I had a Mosquito for about a month, and took it back. I tried at least 5 kinds of ammo.....wouldnt run all 5 mags in a row with anything.

Friends report the same or better with the Walther.

If you want one, get it, but the Ruger is a much better gun, period. I personally wouldnt get rid of it for one of those, and if you are competing you already have what you need.....

DougC

I have a P22 (later release than the "issue" ones) that I like, but it's a PITA to clean and reassemble too- works 100% with Federal Bulk Packs from Wallyworld or LGS, but if you have the long barrel, you need to unscrew the extension cover, then unwrench the barrel bushing (internal, screws on because the barrel slides into the frame and stays there), remove the sleeve, then the barrel....then you need the included plastic plunger to get the mainspring back in...

it's an exercise, that's for sure. However, it is a good little gun to mess around with.

I have heard nothing nice about the Mosquito....but LOTS of not-so-nice stuff.

My FAVORITE mini-blaster is my Smith and Wesson model 617 10-shot revolver.... THAT's a fun gun.

There's a thread in the revolver forum about them....wicked fun, and people look at it like it's some sort of space age

high capacity wonder revolver.

I have a P22 (later release than the "issue" ones) that I like, but it's a PITA to clean and reassemble too- works 100% with Federal Bulk Packs from Wallyworld or LGS, but if you have the long barrel, you need to unscrew the extension cover, then unwrench the barrel bushing (internal, screws on because the barrel slides into the frame and stays there), remove the sleeve, then the barrel....then you need the included plastic plunger to get the mainspring back in...

it's an exercise, that's for sure. However, it is a good little gun to mess around with.

I have heard nothing nice about the Mosquito....but LOTS of not-so-nice stuff.

My FAVORITE mini-blaster is my Smith and Wesson model 617 10-shot revolver.... THAT's a fun gun.

There's a thread in the revolver forum about them....wicked fun, and people look at it like it's some sort of space age

high capacity wonder revolver.

You know, you may have something there..... Now I am thinking about selling my Ruger and getting an S&W 617....... Already have some of the rig I will need that I use with my 625......Nice Idea!!! Thanks!!!

I have a Sig Mosquito. Once I picked the brands of ammo it likes, I have zero problems with it.

Some ammo will not go 3 rounds without a malfunction. Others (like CCI Blazer) are as reliable as can be.

My vote between your two choices would be....

Whichever looks cooler, and feels better TO YOU.

Face it, these guns fall into the cutesy-plinker category, and are not to be taken seriously. Shooting is fun. These are 'fun-guns".

You were smart to head people off in your fist post, by mentioning that you already have a "real" .22 pistol. My advice on that one... keep it. As for reassembly issues when cleaning... it's a .22. Don't take it apart to clean it. Spray some guncleaner in there, if you wish, but a "good" cleaning on a MKII has more potential to cause problems than solve them.

Not saying you can't clean a .22 pistol, and have things go OK, but why bother?

We had poor service from the Walther. Passed it on to a dealer for a Ruger 22/45 and then added a TacSol upper. My daughter uses it for Steel Challenge. All of the guns will have ammo issues with cheap bulk pack stuff. I tuned my High Standard to feed on Federal Auto match. The Ruger runs on it as well.

Paul

I asked for a mosquito for christmas back in september, my dad bought it and thought that it looked so cool that he bought himself one. We went out and shot his and couldn't make it run at all. Jams every 5-6 rounds with federal bulk packs from walmart. My dad went out the next day with some more expensive CCI ammo and said it ran a little better, but still jammed.

The only thing that attracted me to the mosquito was the fact that I could actually watch the sights rock between shots, just like my competition gun. that being said, the one they got me for christmas is now listed for sale on a local forum. I haven't even looked at it yet, but after shooting the one my Dad picked up, I'm sticking with my MKII and I'm going to spend my christmas money on a glock replica airsoft setup for indoor practice.

I've had a P22, 22/45, and have put a quite few rounds through various mk2's and buckmarks.

P22 - Fun gun, but crappy ergos for me - I have large hands. Reliability was ok. Like all* 22's, you have to find ammo it likes.

Mosquito - Really fun gun. Except when they go kaboom in front of your face. One I was test firing had the slide crack, and I didn't notice it right away. Next shot it went bang, rails of the slide split apart (think cartoon banana-peeling action here) and got a face full of various bit of powder and metal. This was a fluke and Sig took care of it.

Ruger's - they digest the widest variety of ammo. I sold my 22/45 shortly after it put a nice gash in my palm while taking it apart. I can't stand shitty designs like that. If it actually felt like a 1911, I would have kept it.

Buckmark's - Nice guns. I've liked all that I've tried. As close as you can get to the Ruger without it being a Ruger.

If I was going to buy a 22 in this category - I would look into either a Buckmark or a Mosquito. The Mosquito is as close to feeling like a centerfire as you can get (without slapping a conversion kit on a real gun). Once you find ammo it likes, you're set. The P22 just feels too different, not sure if it would suffice for 'practice' purposes.

Can't speak for the Walther, but the Sig Mosquito is not a very reliable gun. It can be fun, but unfortunately was very finicky with ammo and only like CCI Mini Mag. I tried several other brands with mutliple failures. I also had to send mine back to Sig because teh hammer continuosly followed the slide.

My father owns a Ruger Mk III which has yet to not fire a round, no matter the ammo.

For further info... I sold my mosquito after too many frustrating sessions at the range.

I can't say anything about the Sig, never having owned or shot one. I do have a Ruger Mark II in stainless steel with a 6 7/8 bull barrel and a Leupold scope. The Mrs. loves it. It rarely has a misfire with cheapo Wally World ammo. As far as cleaning, I look at the book whenever I clean it. I do not remove the barrel or the scope. I remove the heavy stuff with non-chlorinateed break cleaner and then use CLP Breakfree or Hoppy's and light oil. The trick on getting it back together is getting the hammer strut into the proper position before the mainspring housing is swung shut. SEE INSTRUCTIONS! This is one time I follow instructions.

I also have a Walther P22 short version. It rarely has a misfire using the same ammo. Both pistols are more accurate than I am. Both have well over 1,000 rounds thru them. I clean it the same way as the Ruger, but I am more careful using the break clean. I don't use it on the plastic parts. The problem getting the Walther back together is keeping the recoil spring straight while putting the slide back on. Walther supplies a "mounting pin" a short rod to extend "the spring guidance rod". After a few attempts you should get the hang of it.

I wouldn't sell the Ruger if I were you. I sold a S&W .357 magnum revolver Model 19-3, nickle with a 6" barrel and have been sorry ever since.

Just my $.02

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

I have a Mosquito and have shot the MK II and I can tell you that I have a whole lot more "fun" shooting the Mark II than shooting the Mosquito. The Mosquito only brings me joy when I am :D introducing some one to shooting :D .

My Mosquito had the same problems with ammo but cycles for me with the right ammo. As far as it being a training gun it just feels so different from any USPSA gun. The trigger and grip is just too different and I did not "feel" any benifit to my shooting (but that is me of course you may have more persistance and patience than I).

Phil

Edited by betterment

For the "fun gun", the wife and I each have a Beretta Neos {both 5" barrels} with an el cheapo target sports $20 holo mounted up. It will run any bulk pack ammo and not hesitate at all. I have yet to make it choke.

It was a PITA taking it down the first few times due to the barrel nut being so tight, but after a few cleanings, it's child's play. It has kinda grown on me in the last 2 years. I bought a dozen factory 10rd. magazines from CDNN for $10 apiece, and it will not die...runs like it's ass is on fire and it's hair is catching. Beautiful.

For what its worth I just picked up a SW 617 10 shot revolver. Only had a chance to put a few rounds through it but it feels good, nice weight and you can get speed loaders for it.

I have the Walther, I like the concept but the gun won't run no where near 100%. The MKII goes thousands of rounds without cleaning or malfunctions. Reassembly is very, very easy once you learn the secret. Hold the barrel in your left hand with thumb on trigger, pull trigger while watching the hammer strut swing free and to the rear while pointing barrel upward, you can see the strut engage the main spring housing as you swing it in to the home position.

The Smith 617 10 shot is great also. Heres a video of the speed loaders (dial up beware!) that wooddog spoke of....

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=...&CID=185955

41mag

My experience with 22s has been interesting. I bought a used 22/45 about 6 years ago and have used it for bullseye and lots of practice. It has seen 40-50K rounds since then. I wanted a Mosquito for the wife last year but talked to a few people who had serious problems with them and even a Sig rep. who would not recommend it. Then last year I won a Mosquito at a local match. It has 1k rounds of cheap ammo thru it, but it still doesn't shoot reliably/accurately. If my 'fun, cheap gun' requires $.10 22 ammo, I'm gonna reload a 9mm JHP for $.10 instead. My 22/45 still gets lots of action, esp. if I'm lazy on reloading. I also bought a S&W 10 shot revovler for cheap practice for my 686+. It was pricey and accuracy is only okay. I've gone thru 2 makes of .22lr Glock conversions and shot out 3 barrels for them. None of them are reliable or accurate. The 22/45 has been my best practice fun gun as it will eat almost anything, is very reliable, and much more accurate than I. I may consider a Buckmark for the same purpose.