Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PTR 91 for Heavy Metal

GIO

.308 ammo is expensive enough as it is.

without a port buffer, your brass is gonna be too dinged up to reload, that is if you could find any of it anyway, when it gets slung into the next county/area code.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the PTR 91.

Sure, I'd love to have one, but there are other .308 caliber'ed rifles I would like to have first.

M1A

FAL

AR10

Plus, with the PTR91 being roller locked and NOT gas operated, I hear it puts a heckuva thump to your shoulder.

That's my opinion anyway and YMMV....

Thanks Chills. I heard about the brass smasher feature but damn those mags are cheap...

http://www.ptr91.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=8

FAL mags are a dime a dozen as well. I think one of the AR 308's uses FAL mags. I can't remember which one though.

rock river arms line of ar10-type rifles uses the FAL mags. they call them the LAR-8 http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fus...category_id=255

cmmg is also coming out/has come out with a set of new 308 lowers that might be worth looking into...

I have an original HK91. It's much heavier than my AR's, not sure if the PTR91 weighs the same. I prefer the AR's for the accessories available for it, specifically the flat top uppers and four rail forearms. The recoil part is a myth, the weight I believe makes up for not being gas operated. Also, HK mags are around $3 - $4 apiece so they're no big deal.

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/g3magazines.html

Jim

Edited by jhendri2

I used to have a HK91 that I wanted to use for 3gun. I never had any recoil issues but some do -_- As you know they are heavy heavy heavy.

I also heard that the brass CAN be reloaded but of course it is a more advanced process than pistols...so it'll be a while before I start that. Search over on hkpro.com for reloading help on the beat up brass.

I'm working on my HK51 now and want to use it in some of the more CQB type 3 gun events...not too sure how that 9" barrel will hold out to rifle distances...but we'll see. It is a Vector 51 Pistol that I need to SBR so I can put on the stock without having to put in my auto-sear. This gun is WAY up on the fun scale in rock and roll mode but I never expect it to be an MOA-type gun...but zombies don't need MOA.

You can even scare up some 30-40 round mags if you are willing to pay dearly for them...$80 each last time I checked.

Long live the 91! When I start to miss mine I pull out my Wilson and clean it. B)

If you can hold that thing up...shoot it.

without a port buffer, your brass is gonna be too dinged up to reload, that is if you could find any of it anyway, when it gets slung into the next county/area code.

That was the old running joke with the G3/91 - you could defend you right flank with the ejected cases.

That was the old running joke with the G3/91 - you could defend you right flank with the ejected cases.

And that is half the fun! At least your brass doesn't get mixed in with everyone else :roflol:

I have shot local matches w/ my PTR before. The lack of a bolt hold open cost the most time for me. The 21st time I pulled the trigger the rifle went CLICK. I racked the bolt (with the gawd-awful charging handle) and pulled the trigger again. Only then did I realize it was not a malfunction, but I had allowed the gun to run dry.

If you practice enough with it, I think you can overcome a lot of the PTR's deficiency's. But, given the choice of .308 rifles, I'd chose the FAL, M1A and any of the AR based rifles over the G3.