Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 econo load

racesnake

Well, it's that time of year again, and what with the high cost of reloading supplies, I thought I'd pass along my econo load. Hornady 55gr FMJBT in front of 26.2 gr of WC846, Win. small rifle primers, OAL 2.240"

I use this load for practice and for close-in stages out to a 150yds. or so. This is used in an AR that I built up with an 18" JP ultra-light barrel with a 1-8 twist. 5 shot groups have averaged 1"@ 100yds. Velocity = around 3000 f/s depending on ambient temp.

The bullets cost between 7 & 8 cents each And the last time I bought powder (which is surplus) was $8 pound. Cost/ round = 10 cents + whatever a primer cost these days. Hope this is of interest to someone.

Dave

how do you like that JP ultra light barel? I've been looking at building an upper with that or their medium barrel. Have you noticed any accuracy issues when shooting the barrel hot.

I had concerns about hot barrel accuracy, too. Actually, I made a mistake when I ordered the barrel. I thought I was ordering the heavier barrel. I decided to keep it and am glad I did. It shoots my long range load of Varget and Sierra 69's into little 1/2" bug holes @ 100yds.

After I felt the barrel was broken in I took it to the range and shot a 20rd mag full of my afore- mentioned practice loads as fast as I could aim and fire. Group size ran slightly less than 1 1/2" with a vertical spread. I then loaded 5 more and shot another group that measured 1 1/4".

The vertical spread could have been caused by heat stress to the barrel and/or optical distortion (mirage) caused by heat radiation from the hot barrel. In either case I was satisfied with the results and would recommend the barrel.

so the group more than doubled when the barrel is hot compared to cold. I need to check what my barrel does now comparing hot to cold. I am thinking about getting the medium barrel and possibly the heat sink.

At the local 3 gun match I go to, its not uncommon to have 15 ipsc targets and 7 flashers out to 350 yards on the same stage so I need a barrel that will stay accurate when hot but I don't want to be overweighted.

I don't reload rifle so Its harder to get an accurate load.

Thanks for the help.

Great info and I've always wanted to try that bulk/surplus powder. My econo-load is a 55gr. FMJ-BT (Winchesters are great for this) w/ H335. I get about .5" groups with these out of my 18". My normal load is a 69gr. SMK w/ Varget. That's the shizzle.

Rich

so the group more than doubled when the barrel is hot compared to cold. I need to check what my barrel does now comparing hot to cold. I am thinking about getting the medium barrel and possibly the heat sink.

At the local 3 gun match I go to, its not uncommon to have 15 ipsc targets and 7 flashers out to 350 yards on the same stage so I need a barrel that will stay accurate when hot but I don't want to be overweighted.

I don't reload rifle so Its harder to get an accurate load.

Thanks for the help.

The groups did not more than double in size. The loads I used for the hot barrel test were my practice loads which average 1" out of a cold barrel. So, they increased somewhere between 25% and 50%.

dave

I am still using WC844 was about $6 a pound when I purchased it.

The only place I can find surplus powder (WC844 or WC846) now is Pat’s and they charge $ 99.00 + shipping & Has mat for 8 pounds, you can get H335 for around $120.00 anywhere, not much of a savings.

My load at current component cost.

Powder (H335) .043

55 FMJ .08

Primer .026

Once fired brass .07

Total .22

As cheap as wolf if you pay for brass and use only once.

Any one has a source for cheaper powder or brass, pulled bullets, etc.?

My econo load is 22.5 of Accurate Data 74 over Winchester 55's. It shoots about a 2" at 100 (not good at all) but is great for pistol distance stages. When I bought the powder a couple years ago it was $45.00 for 8lbs. Don't know if its still available.

I haven't studied on it extensively yet, but a friend of my brother told us that he used BLC2, and had good results.

Anyone ever use this stuff?

I ask b/c my brother went off and bought a pound of it to try. Sorry if it is not an econo load as I have never purchased any thing to load 223.....yet.

I haven't studied on it extensively yet, but a friend of my brother told us that he used BLC2, and had good results.

Anyone ever use this stuff?

I ask b/c my brother went off and bought a pound of it to try. Sorry if it is not an econo load as I have never purchased any thing to load 223.....yet.

I think that the WC846 that I am using might be BallC2. If not, then it's real close.

Dave

Race,

The other difference in your methods was the term "as fast as ..." Do you think you were getting the same "sure" sight picture as when shooting for groups, or would the speed-human factor also account for some of that spread?

Thanks for the info.

Race,

The other difference in your methods was the term "as fast as ..." Do you think you were getting the same "sure" sight picture as when shooting for groups, or would the speed-human factor also account for some of that spread?

Thanks for the info.

Ken...I'm sure there was some "speed-human factor" involved which could account for some of the spread. We just don't like to admit it do we?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there using W748? I have about 15 pounds of it and it groups well, I have not chrono'd it but it is a small bore powder that they claim burns cooler for extended barrel life and one would assume less retained heat. Up here in seattle we dont really have to worry about things heating up due to sun/hot dry air - not much of either to go around. I am rounding up the last of the Winchester bulk 55 gr fmjbt I had stashed current load is about .15/round. If I shift to armscor bullets that should stay around the same price using CCI primers(aresenal when I can find them) and LC once fired.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Anyone out there using W748? I have about 15 pounds of it and it groups well, I have not chrono'd it but it is a small bore powder that they claim burns cooler for extended barrel life and one would assume less retained heat. Up here in seattle we dont really have to worry about things heating up due to sun/hot dry air - not much of either to go around. I am rounding up the last of the Winchester bulk 55 gr fmjbt I had stashed current load is about .15/round. If I shift to armscor bullets that should stay around the same price using CCI primers(aresenal when I can find them) and LC once fired.

Lee

I have a bolt gun that prefers 748 for accuracy over any other powders I've tried in it, but, my "economy" load for the ARs USED to be with 844 surplus powder that I'd bought cheap--years ago. Now that I'm out of the 844, I'm using 748 for my "cheaper" loads.

For my "good" AR loads, I use Varget. My 1/9 twist barrel shoots well with Hornady 68 grain BTHP, or Hornady 60 grain V-max. My 1/10 barrel shoots well with the 60 grain V-max, but, sprays the 68 grain bullets.

I know that a lot of people have had sucess with the Sierra, 69 grain bullets, but, every barrel I've ever had has been more accurate with the Hornadys.

I'm curious if anyone has tried Benchmark for 223 with their 55 gr and 69 gr bullets???
Lately I've been using 25.2grn. of Benchmark pushing a Hornady 55grn. FMJ-BT for my short-range (sub 300y) load. Very clean, and will hold inside 5" at 300 from my 17" MSTN barrel. Never tried it with the 69s.

- Chris

Anyone out there using W748?

~26.5gr of W748 behind a 52-53gr match bullet tends to drill little holes out of 20" Service Rifle barrels for a 100-200yd practice load... I'm guessing it should work pretty well for what you want as well.