Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Up/downhill

kevin c

Eric,  Is that the HP 41 CX?  If so that is what is on my desk right now also. B)

Jim

Sorry for the drift...

Jim,

Yup. I've got a 41CX, soon will have a 28S (I sooo hope it shows up today), have a hell-beaten 48SX that's my everyday calculator, and will soon have a second 48SX as a backup. (For EE tests, we have to solve systems of equations during the test. "My calculator croaked isn't an allowable excuse.")

You *might* want to put your 41CX in a safe. Those puppies are worth more than they cost new now - especially if you have the box and manuals. The 41CX is widely regarded as the best calculator ever made. New, in the box, they're getting $400 plus on Ebay.

I compliment you on your obvious fine taste. :)

The really sad news is that HP is supposed to be getting out of the calculator biz. Well, they already have in a sense. The 48GX is a total POS. Pad printed keytops. Groan. Pastel colors. Yeeech! The replacement version has - GASP! - an elastomeric keypad.

What has the world come to?!

[/End Sentimental Thread Drift]

I'm really glad this question was raised. I've never felt confident that I understood as much as I needed to know about this uphill/downhill shooting issue. I have been present when it was discussed on many occasions, but never by a group so erudite as this one. Thanks to all for helping me to understand that it will probably never be an issue that a practical shooter like me has to deal with. Echo3mike, your explaination really made sense to me. (400yds@250 ft elevation=391 yds.) I'll concentrate on sight alignment and trigger control and forget about the whole nine yards. Next time I'm around when the issue is raised I'll just keep my yap shut (cuz I can't explain it anyway) and feel smug in the knowledge that it doesn't matter to me.

As far as the angel question, it's probably a moot point too. With all the hell that's broke loose in the world today, I doubt that they have much time to cut a rug. ;)

Thank you all very much for explaining this with such clarity. I believe the following haiku sums up my understanding of the subject so far:

Shooting up or down

Hold low, the shot will be high.

All the angels fit!

I went to my bookshelf and took down Plaster's Ultimate Sniper just so I could paraphrase his explanation to you guys. After re-reading it, I had second thoughts; I don't think he does a good job explaining the physics of the phenomenon. (He does, however, explain its effects and consequences well.)

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterdays match while shooting 4 mini type pepper poppers at 120yd's down a relatively steep gavel pit road,it became apparent you had to aim much lower than i am use to at that distance,so much so it felt unnatural,and most in my squad mates kept shooting over.