Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3x eotech magnifier

tk4

Thinking about trying some 3 gun matches and getting an eotech 3x to mount behind a ML3 for tactical division. I know it is legal in tactical for uspsa, but what about other 3 gun matches? Would this setup be competitive with the 1-4x variables?

Thanks.

I have an Eotech on one of my rifles, and it works great for quick close stuff, but for matchs like Ft Benning this past weekend, I would want a little more power than that for the long range stage. I know it is a popular set up with a lot of people, so hopefully some of those guys chime in, but I went from the CQT to the Burris 1x4 to get a little more power. With all that said, Bruce P shot the long range stage with only 2 extra shots and he was shooting FREAKIN OPEN SIGHTS. THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT! Great job Bruce! It all depends on what kind of matches you plan on going to. That set up may be perfect for what they have in your area.

I had heard that there are very few matches that get beyond 300yds, and that Ft Benning was nearly impossible to get in to. I would probably be only shooting major matches within about 6hrs of St Louis. Would the 3x magnifier with no BDC give me a disadvantage?

That setup will be highly competitive in most 3 gun venues and only a slight disadvantage for Ft. Benning and Rocky Mountain 3 Gun (and even then only for some stages). Roll with what you've got.

I did not not have a BDC in my optic at Benning and did just fine!

So you say !!

It didnt help you none on stage 3 though did it Persecutor !! :roflol:

With shooting that good you should be a spy, knowing so much about rockets and guns and stuff........

I am drinking fine chilled beer from my 'warm' HOOTERS glass !! Life is good mate ! :cheers:

I use an EOTech 557 (has BDC) with a flip-mount EOTech 3X magnifier behind it. All of our local matches here are 200yds or less though I'm hoping to go to Mystery Mountain. But I believe that tops at at 350yds or so. 3X is fine for that and the setup works really well at the local matches. Though with an Aimpoint that has only a single dot I expect you'll struggle a bit with your holdovers once you get past 200yds.

I'm waiting patiently for the rumored new and improved Burris XTR 1-4. It's nice have 4X at the longer matches.

I just got one of the Eotech 4x Chinese Knock Offs from Ebay for $120 to use with my Eotech for 3 gun. Came with the flip over side mount and everything. I think the Eotech version costs almost $800 for the same setup. Now, I'm sure it's not the same quality as the real thing but for 3 gun it will work just fine. You may want to check them out.

I just got one of the Eotech 4x Chinese Knock Offs from Ebay for $120 to use with my Eotech for 3 gun. Came with the flip over side mount and everything. I think the Eotech version costs almost $800 for the same setup. Now, I'm sure it's not the same quality as the real thing but for 3 gun it will work just fine. You may want to check them out.

How is the clarity compared to other optics?

How is the clarity compared to other optics?

I haven't seen the Eotech version to compare the two. The clarity is fine for shooting out to 400 yards or so.

So you say !!

It didnt help you none on stage 3 though did it Persecutor !! :roflol:

With shooting that good you should be a spy, knowing so much about rockets and guns and stuff........

I am drinking fine chilled beer from my 'warm' HOOTERS glass !! Life is good mate ! :cheers:

You did not win stage 3 either, Copper! Oh so close.

Enjoy the liberated mug. It must have been a good friend to risk such dangers in acquiring you a Hooters mug.

Not having the BDC won't kill you in 3 gun, not knowing your dope will, I shot Blue Ridge with an EOtech and 3x magnifier last year and only left one target because I could not see it, shot where I thought it shold be cbut truely couldn't see it so ended up with the penalty, most matches no problem

jc

There is a large price difference between the EOTech 3x and 4x. The 3x is actually 3.25 and I believe the 4x is actually 3.75 so think about how much you want to pay for one half a power. I have seen both and suspect the 4x is better glass because it is much more clear.

While more clear is better, I doubt it makes a difference in this application since the magnifer is enlarging a USPSA target at no more than 400 yards. Cosnidering this, while I have not seen the made in China knockoffs, they would likely be worth a try. Since there is no reticle to hold zero, as long as the lens does not fall out, it should work almost as well. If anyone has a link to the cheaper copy cat versions, I would like to see one.