Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Video Critique Request

Filishooter

Thanks, I'm working on getting my points! I've gotten better but its an uphill battle. Actually, I think the way that this stage was setup, favored a lefty. Going right first exposed all the center targets that you couldn't see from the left side of the bianchi barricade.

I'll work on shooting wide targets from the same position. Would you recommend shooting that first position stationary, lining up to the middle and swinging through with no footwork shifting? That will take some work for me...thanks just what I was looking for.

Are you sure you shot the second array in the most efficient manner? I wasn't there, but I am not certain I would have shot it the same way.

No, I'm not sure...thats why I'm asking! I have tried it other ways (on similar stages and other days). Starting right to left and also going in deep and shooting left to right. Right now I can't say one is faster than the other. But I do notice that different ways of engagement can give different results. I usually would go right to left shooting the first target I see going in so my last target has me lined up for the exit to the left but it felt a little tight on walkthrough. Seeing it in video, I did have space to do it that way but I already had a plan in my head. I chose to leave the far right target for last so I could shoot it on the move out of position. Right now I'm keeping it flexible and its kind of experimentation for me. I don't really have a set way that I'm always going to engage targets a certain way.

What I learned (and still learning) from A and M shooter from my local club is that your body should by leaning towards the next position as you fire and follow-through the last shot in the current position, actually starting moving to the next position (also mentioned by Saul Kirsch in the “Master Class” video). It looks like you where completely stand still on the last shot on position one. Was the last target a steel and where you waiting to see if it fail?

What I learned (and still learning) from A and M shooter from my local club is that your body should by leaning towards the next position as you fire and follow-through the last shot in the current position, actually starting moving to the next position (also mentioned by Saul Kirsch in the “Master Class” video). It looks like you where completely stand still on the last shot on position one. Was the last target a steel and where you waiting to see if it fail?

The last target was paper about 30 yards downrange across the bay. It seemed like a difficult shot for me as it was cross range (reduced A zone perspective) and the distance. It was an easier shot from position 3 but then I would have had to do a standing reload. Hopefully as I improve I'll be able to extend my ranges of where I can shoot on the move and with a stationary weight shift, but for my current ability I felt that I had to be as stable as I could be in my platform and follow through to get my As. I do try to get a head-start like you mention on closer open targets, so the seed is being planted, but I just didn't have the confidence yet on a shot of that difficulty. I did see other M and GM shooters do it the way you prescribe though. I'm just not there yet!

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by Filishooter

Andy,

30 yards is a long shot, and probable I would like to be as still a could be, but far from that, most of the targets on an average stage design are not that far. What I learned very soon was that is quite easy to lean toward any side while shooting (still with both feet on the ground) without loosing accuracy. It is like there is a barricade I have to lean over to get the sight picture. The point is to break the inertia of the body weight just before start moving. What is still not easy for me is to actually start moving as soon the last shot breaks - sometimes it starts a little early, sometimes a little late. This and other things are my next steps for improvement. Not there yet, too.

Andy,

What is still not easy for me is to actually start moving as soon the last shot breaks - sometimes it starts a little early, sometimes a little late.

I hear you brother!...I've pulled many a shot off target leaving (or getting ready to leave) a position too early. I seem to be able to pull this off better on close to medium range targets. It's the long range and close hoser targets that I tend to start pulling shots. I think as long as we are aware of it and keep at it we'll eventually get it!

• 1 month later...

I can't offer a critique other than to say that it looks good to me but, on a VERY DIFFERENT subject... With the amount of smoke being produced I need to assume that you are shooting lead bullets. What brand of powder are you using? And, have you switched to a "less smoky" powder?

• 1 month later...
I can't offer a critique other than to say that it looks good to me but, on a VERY DIFFERENT subject... With the amount of smoke being produced I need to assume that you are shooting lead bullets. What brand of powder are you using? And, have you switched to a "less smoky" powder?

Thanks, yes, I'm shooting 125gr LRN from a local caster with 3.5gr of Clays. Makes around 1080fps. Best lead load I have found so far, but if you have any suggestions on powder I'd be willing to try it! I do have other loads using Precision, Berrys or MGs... I just use the cheap lead loads for local matches.

Edited by Filishooter

I'm kind of amazed to hear that you load Clays because I find it less smoky than most. I can tell you that BE would be even MORE smoky...it could be the lube. Is the lube Brown? Alox is Brown and creates more smoke than most other lubes but leaves your barrel clean and shiny...

I agree, it could be the lube because I have never had trouble with CLAYS being that smoky. For a moment I thought you were going to tell me that was Titegroup because that is about as much smoke as I was having with TG and lead (it kept the bees away). <:o)

Though I haven't tried it myself, some say that SOLO 1000 or WST is the way to go with lead.

The lube is clear, not brown. Not sure what it is? I buy them from a local caster. Do you think I could tumble the lube off before loading to reduce the smoke? Also, I notice a lot more smoke in the early morning than in the afternoon, especial when shooting into the sun!