Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I want to shoot 10MM

Fireant

Out of my STI Tactical, I have an unchambered barrel on the way then started wondering if the gun would handle this conversion and if there was any thing else I'd need to change other than the recoil spring.

Ream it and spring it, the mags will take the 10mm ammo, same everything else. I'd go 25ish on the mainspring and 18-20 on the recoil spring. You don't need the new barrel though, you don't even need to ream it. You can load to 10mm lengths in the 40 brass with 10mm data as long as the barrel is throated for the long loads. As always start low and work up.

You don't need the new barrel though, you don't even need to ream it. You can load to 10mm lengths in the 40 brass with 10mm data as long as the barrel is throated for the long loads. As always start low and work up.

Is this safe? Can the 40 brass handle the pressures of a full power 10mm load? I thought since the 10mm used large primers and an unsupported chamber the case walls would be thicker. I was thinking of reaming one of my barrels but if I dont I'd be one happy camper!

One reason I would be interested in a 10mm barrel swap, as opposed to Howards's suggestion (which is of course valid), is to be able to use factory loaded ammunition for personal defense/duty use. Bout the hottest 40 stuff out there, still cant touch hot factory 10.

One reason I would be interested in a 10mm barrel swap, as opposed to Howards's suggestion (which is of course valid), is to be able to use factory loaded ammunition for personal defense/duty use. Bout the hottest 40 stuff out there, still cant touch hot factory 10.

Same here Mike, 21 rounds of full power 10mm is one hell of a night stand gun.

My choice was to use two barrels. This is my personal every day carry gun, sometimes I carry a different gun, but this one is my favorite.

Para 14-40 LDA (no longer made) in stainless steel. With the .45 ACP magazines (modified lips) I can load 15 rounds of 10mm plus another one in the chamber. Not bad firepower for a "Officer's model" sized gun. :cheers:

Radical123099.jpg

One of the problems with switch barrel/caliber guns, I have found, is that with fixed sights the two barrels/cartridges never hit to the same point of impact. Adjustable sights might seem the solution, but then it's a pain to have to readjust the sights/rezero the gun every time you switch barrels.

Also, as Matt Burkett once put it to me, "Eventually one of the barrels gets seated really nicely in the gun and shoots great....at which point the other barrel shoots like crap."

In general: not a fan of the concept.

Well, as they say:"different strokes for different folks"... One of my specialties is t build multiple caliber high end carry guns. With the proper care and tuning you can indeed get the two barrels to shoot fairly close with each other at a specific distance. Mostly though, carry guns do not get to be used a very long distances where a different point of impact would be magnified.

Here is another one I built some time ago. (the one on top) This one has a barrel in .45 ACP and the other one in 10mm. They are both V ported and use the SVI/Infinity interchangeable breech face. Surprisingly enough, both barrels work very well with the same ejector and extractor. Yeah, it was very pricey. :closedeyes:

Radical123055.jpg