Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does Jerry et al shoot at the IRC?

I was surprised to learn that optics and ports move you into Open in ICORE, but there isn't a 6-round limit. Question: What gun does Jerry, Nils, Mark, etc. shoot at the IRC? Do they go for careful big holes and faster reloads, or the extra shots?

H.

It's shooting and fun. I do not own a revolver. I've only ever owned 1, a Taurus 608. When USPSA eliminated the category in Open for Revolvers, it got sold.

That said, I'm slowly building a new 8-shot revo (probably a S&W) to shoot ICORE, because of its emphasis on accuracy and it's just fun.

Rich

They shoot 8 shot open revolvers as ICORE does not have a 6 shot limit but all courses of fire have to be 6 shot friendly. Look at www.icore.org and at the rule book for more information. Almost all shoot 8 shot revolvers both in open and limited. In the rule book it explains:

6. A revolver must compete in the Open Division if it has one or more of the following modifications:

A. Compensating, venting, or metering ports of any kind.

B. An optical sight including telescopic and red dot sights.

C. A rib sight, a front sight that extends beyond the muzzle, or a rear sight that extends beyond or behind a factory manufactured sight's location.

D. Any barrel other than a factory barrel or a factory replacement barrel made by the revolver's manufacturer and included in the revolver manufacturer's spare parts catalog or list.

Effective January 1, 2007, rule D is revised to:

D. Any barrel other than an unaltered factory barrel or an unaltered factory replacement barrel made by the revolver’s manufacturer. Alterations to the barrel other than what is required to safely install the barrel are not permitted in Limited Division. (Revised 2/16/06)

E. An underlug, barrel weight, grip weight, or any other modification designed to increase the weight of the revolver.

All other modifications are allowed. Revolvers not in the Open Division may compete in the Limited Division. (Revised 9/11/2002)

Some have shot 9 and 10 shot 32 magnums that were custom made. The extra 2 shots with an 8 shot let you push it a little harder as you will have 2 rounds extra to make up a shot without a reload since all courses are 6 shot friendly. I hope this answers your questions.

Hougan, they (Jerry, Mark, and Nils) shoot eight shots. Nils shot Limited when he shot the IRC, and Mark and Jerry shot Open. but Nils is younger and can see. Most of the stages will have the same number of reloads for Six shot and eight shot revos because of stage design. An eight shot may be able to get off two more rounds in a string but if they would move up closer they would be able to take six shots faster. Five and ten shot arrays level out the playing field some what. If you are consistantly using the 7th or 8th shot to finish up an array the good six shot will overtake you in the end.

Rich, Build up that 8 shot Smith. You can use it in USPSA and ICORE. IN the Revo Division you would only be able to shoot 6 prior to a reload, (counting is at a premium, just ask the revo guys that ended up in Open). Or you could run it in production, and do fairly well. later rdd

In 2008 Jerry shot a V-Comp with a magnaported barrel and a Ti cylinder. John Bagakis (who won limited in 2008) shot a PC 627 with a 6-1/2" barrel, Ti cylinder and Randy Lee trigger job. I'm no pro like Jerry or Mark but I did finish 6th in 2008 so if anybody cares, I shot an 8-shot V-Comp with 3 barrel ports plus the little bolt on comp, a thinned down barrel, titanium cylinder, Randy Lee hammer, my trigger job and a C-More.

Thanks everyone, my particular curiousity was 6 vs. 7 vs. 8. Sounds like everyone is willing to accept a slower/trickier reload for the extra rounds. Unfortunately, this means I have to pick up two more guns. Bleh.

H.

With the correct combination--.38 Super or (better yet) .38 Short Colt brass, correctly-sized Hearthco moonclips, and a good chamfer--reloading an 8-shooter is only a tiny bit slower and trickier than reloading a 625.

I shot my regular 5" 625 at my first and only IRC--I finished 5th place in Limited, and I would've finished even higher without an overtime shot on the standards. Still, ICORE really is a game designed for the 8-shooters, so next time I'll shoot one of my 627s. Or maybe my 27-7 that is pictured in my avatar to the left.

When in Rome, as they say....

Edited by Carmoney

In 2008 Jerry shot a V-Comp with a magnaported barrel and a Ti cylinder. John Bagakis (who won limited in 2008) shot a PC 627 with a 6-1/2" barrel, Ti cylinder and Randy Lee trigger job. I'm no pro like Jerry or Mark but I did finish 6th in 2008 so if anybody cares, I shot an 8-shot V-Comp with 3 barrel ports plus the little bolt on comp, a thinned down barrel, titanium cylinder, Randy Lee hammer, my trigger job and a C-More.

Actually, Todd kicked my Ass ( arse in Australian ) this year. All I can say is those F#@**en standards.....

ICORE is all 6 shot friendly, and having the extra rounds, can some times be a disadvantage, as you can complicate simple stages by mathematically gaming yourself into a mensa filled mess. For you Matt, I would recomend a Ruger SP101 or perhaps a single action Colt. Seriously though, if your main game is USPSA, shooting limited with a 625 is good practise, without the recoil.

:cheers:

Actually, Todd kicked my Ass ( arse in Australian ) this year. All I can say is those F#@**en standards.....

ICORE is all 6 shot friendly, and having the extra rounds, can some times be a disadvantage, as you can complicate simple stages by mathematically gaming yourself into a mensa filled mess. For you Matt, I would recomend a Ruger SP101 or perhaps a single action Colt. Seriously though, if your main game is USPSA, shooting limited with a 625 is good practise, without the recoil.

:cheers:

Recoil, shmeecoil (?), I can get the gun back down faster than I can pull the trigger. Hell, my main problem at our local ICORE matches is getting tired by the end of a stage. My forearms start giving me the heebie jeebies (thanks 12 years in the computer industry) around the 20 sec. mark, and it's all I can do to finish some stages in 40. That, and I'm just too damn lazy to turn the powder bar screw.

As for Itzstein-safe equipment in my hands, you better send me a '58 army and wet powder. I pity the Aussie who runs up agin' me next.

H.

In that case I will be suggesting lots of really, really long stages at the IRC. I actually planned to make an appearance at your last ICORE match, but ended up spending a couple of weeks in hospital. I did make it up there for thanks giving, but probably won't be able to shoot again til early in the new year.

M

In that case I will be suggesting lots of really, really long stages at the IRC. I actually planned to make an appearance at your last ICORE match, but ended up spending a couple of weeks in hospital. I did make it up there for thanks giving, but probably won't be able to shoot again til early in the new year.

M

Nothing too serious, I hope.

H.

• 3 weeks later...
where do you get Ti cylinders? I am looking for a Ti cylinder for a 686+ set for moon clips.

Speedshooter specialties used to have them, but I do not see them on their site anymore. You might still call them.

Just curious why you want one, do you have the cylinder notch peening problem that the N frames have?

Edited by 20nickels

• 2 weeks later...

I can say that for several years I shot a 610 classic and did pretty well with it. Last year I switched to a 627.. and did worse.. This year I'm returning to my 610. Familiarity and determination to be accurate is better than the extra 2 rounds in my case. It has really nothing special done to it besides the hammer being bobbed, a Wolff reduced power spring, and a trigger job. Otherwise it's the same 6.5" gun that S&W sold me over 10 years ago. The fact that it has a lot of rounds through it likely makes everything feel smoother in operation.