Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New NRA Competition News

Rotwang

Copied from the NRA Competitive Shooting eNews -- December, 2008

Notes From The Director

Special Committee on Multi-Gun Competition

NRA President John Sigler established a new committee to discuss the potential for NRA sanctioning of Multi-Gun or 3-Gun competitions. Special Committee on Multi-Gun Competition members came together for their first meeting on October 25, 2009 at NRA Headquarters. Task Force members include: NRA President John Sigler, Chairman, Mr. Bill Allen, Vice Chairman, Mr. Gregory Coker, Mr. Andrew Horner, Ms. Denise Johnson, Mr. John Gangl, Mr. David Power, Mr. Steve Sutherland, Mr. Randy Luth and Aaron Hampton, SFC, USA

Committee members were chosen from Multi-Gun match organizers and firearms manufacturers with specific products for multi-gun competition. All committee members were very enthusiastic about the possibility of NRA's involvement in these competitions.

Multi-Gun competitions are a fast moving action shooting sport where competitors must go through specific stages using a rifle, pistol and shotgun or any combination of these firearms. Multi-Gun matches sanctioned by the NRA would be a major change from the traditional bull's-eye precision competition normally associated with the NRA. In Multi-Gun competition the competitor moves from target to target with loaded firearms and engages both paper and steel targets through unknown stages of fire.

There are a number of large Multi-Gun tournaments that want to have NRA sanctioning. With these tournaments as a base, the NRA could introduce this exciting tactical competition to local affiliated clubs across the U.S.

In future meetings the NRA will ask for the members help in designing other tactical courses of fire and how to incorporate tactical rifles and sights into our traditional shooting programs. We will keep you posted on new programs that result from these meetings.

---

Anyone heard anything about this?

I received the same email today.

I would advise caution. The NRA is not very good at accepting new technology. Meaning that current NRA rules governing 2 of the firearms used in 3 gun have minimum trigger pulls so watch for that one.

We all know that 1 pound trigger pulls in a 1911 are safe but NRA forced a 2 pound rule on us in Action Pistol anyway.

Kevin

Edited by Action Pistolero

As Kevin states 'be cautious'.

The NRA seems to impose its own rules on a discipline that has had no problems in the past.

IPSC runs our 3 Gun events in NZ and if the trigger rule and grip safety rule was implemented we would see a mass exodus from the sport after so many unpaid administrators have worked so hard to get it up and running. We tend to follow the 'rules' of the NRA because we shoot internationaly in a few disciplines but if it meant the survival of our sport I am sure we would be prepared to go it alone. We were close to doing just that before the Action Pistol rules were changes back. Our governing committee in NZ is shooters. elected by shooters, for the good of the shooters.

Goldfieldshooter

I was about to fire an email off to Tom to see if we would need a grip safety on my Browning Shotgun, but I thought I would check here. It appears that many others may have been thinking the same thing.

For an organisation that was founded on freedoms the NRA seems to IMPOSE a number of odd things on it's members.

Tread carefully, as many old maps used to say "here be dragons"

My 10cents worth.

This could be very good. Think of the recognition we would gain. 4 million members.

Also in some venues this would relieve some potential political preasure, both within the host clubs and from the local political entity.

Jim

+1000000000

If the NRA has a hand in 3 gunning, then some of the "old guard" that we all have in our clubs will loose a leg of the chair to stand on regarding 3 gunning not being a "real NRA sport"...

Having another source of national media exposure would be good.

The NRA and the sport of shooting, needs a makeover, an up grade a wake-up call. I can not even tell you where to shoot a high-power rifle match, or NRA action pistol, or a bull’s-eye match.

But I know how to find a 3 gun match..

The NRA in the Mix can be a good thing. Exposer the NRA can give the sport,,,,, for those of us that have our worries.

the Rules and Stage Description will still be up to the Club/ Range facility/ Match Directors and R.O's.

Most of the problems we face in 3 Gunning can be solved at the Stage Description level on a case by case and Organization by Organization level.

"By We the people" 3 Gunners

We can keep it straight. And fix it if need be.

Jim M ammo

the Rules and Stage Description will still be up to the Club/ Range facility/ Match Directors and R.O's.

That's what we thought in the Action Pistol community when they changed our rules. They get you when it comes to sanctioning. They will not sanction a match that is not run by their rules.

Action Pistol is shot at the Blackhawk range in San Antonio. Great bunch of guys down there.

The NRA and the sport of shooting, needs a makeover, an up grade a wake-up call. I can not even tell you where to shoot a high-power rifle match, or NRA action pistol, or a bull’s-eye match.

See http://www.nrahq.org/compete/calendar.asp although they do have a problem keeping it up to date. Seems like the shooters know where to find their local matches, but ...

What a meant to say is that I don’t hear the talk or see the interest in some of the competitions that I have in years past.

They do still have the Big rifle match at Camp Perry?

I don’t know anyone who shoots that match?

I know one guy who shoots bulls-eye.

I don’t hear the buzz or the excitement for these sports.

The shooting sports need the buzzzzz we need more people active, for many good reasons.

3 Gun Rules// My Local club has run its own rules they have worked well for years now.

We are not a big national match but we get 25 to 40 shooters each month.

Rules. And enforcement of sanctioned matches.

I have never had a gun inspected at a shooting match. I have been shooting for a wile now, the only time any checking of equipment has been done was a the USPSA Multi gun nationals at the CRONO stage.

Many of us Came up with our own rules, Outlaw, We like our rules they work.

We have no reason to change. For the NRA to get us on board they will have to play our game. Or we have no reason to play.

Not to say I will not go shoot one of their matches if and when one pops up.

From the other post about this subject, it sounds good so far the right people are involved. And if they have a good feeling about the NRA and 3 Gun. I will trust their judgment.

Until we see what the NRA comes out with I will hold my judgment.

And then I will still trust the judgment of the people that were at the meeting with the NRA.

I have talked to some of them at some poin in time or another. and they know 3 Gun.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys can anybody tell me if there are bianchi cup matches in the south louisiana area. Thanks in advance Ed k.

Ed,

Good Afternoon,

I agree with KA, they are a great bunch in Lake Charles, they are also running a AP Regional on the 25 April 2009. At this point it is the 1st one in 2009, and it will be the 1st shoot before the NRA Bianchi Cup.

Let us know if you need any other info.

Tom...