Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 22lr conversion for STI 2011

cheers623

Hey guys,

hope you are recovered from turkey coma..I mean thanksgiving. I am looking for input regarding 22lr conversion for a 2011 frame gun. Anyone try or own both? I like the options for the Tactical solutions kit, threaded barrel, different top ribs, fiber optic front sights, etc,etc, etc. The Marvel kit has gotten good reviews but I don't like the looks. I know, I know, big deal. If anyone has experience with either please lay it on me. I tried the search function and did not find a thread comparing the 2 kits. Anyway, I was at the range today with my Kimber 22 conversion on a Springer and also had my new GSG-5 rat killer and can't remember the last time I had so much fun(basically shooting AS MUCH AMMO AS I WANTED TOO!!!). So, it got me thinking about a 2011 conversion for some quality trigger time on the cheap. Any feedback is always appreciated.

Cheers623

DVC

I have a Kart 22lr conversion and have the Tactical Solutions mags for it. Dawson was playing with one of the STI/Marvel conversion with the mag that comes with it. I like the Tactical Solutions mags better. They are machined out of Al. The STI mags are molded plastic and very light. With the TacSol mags it feels more like my open gun. Dawson liked the STI top end, but I won't be trading mine anytime soon.

i have had great luck with the TacSol. the mags are very stout compared to others on the market. The back of the conversion kit ejector needed a bit of trimming due to the long ejector on my gun, but very easy fix. the best part is it feeds the bulk pack federal with no problems. Very nice people to deal with and great customer service!

Cheers623,

I have a Tactical Solutions conversion on a SVI frame w/a STI SS grip.

I am very happy with the way it functions - it's the best conv unit IMHO.

I took the top rail off and mounted the C-more like my other open guns.

Here's a picture.

I got a TacSol and am very happy with it, no hic-ups. The mags are the best out there and you could

get them in 13rnds, not just 10. Look at the current .22 steel challenge line-up, the majority use to use a

TacSol modified Buckmark but now it seems everybody is going to a 2011 with a TacSol upper ???

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

TacSol and Marvel Units will do exactly what you want them to. TacSol will run out of the box with Minimags, and once it is broke into your frame it should run Fed 550pks, depending on your mainspring.

If you want to run a STI frame I would recommend using the TacSol mags with either upper. I have to say with all the time and money TacSol put into this I would lean towards buying their mags and uppers, and they are good guys to boot.

I have no experience with the STI kits, but I would have no reservation about buying it. Call Chuck at Shooters Connection and talk to him about the kits, it looks like he has them in stock.

My .02$

DougC

Rich,

thanks for posting the pic of your setup. That is a very good angle to see this unit from. I wondered what the combo rail looked like from the top of the gun. Now I know. Does anyone know if the barrel on this unit can be swapped out for a threaded one? In other words, could I buy one top end and then another barrel that was threaded instead of buying 2 top ends, one threaded and one not? Just wondering. I must say, I shot another 300 rounds thru my Kimber conversion tonight and it was some of the most productive trigger time I have gotten in a LONG time. Thanks again for the replies,

Cheers623

DVC