Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about military brass

GIO

Say i was to come across a S--T Load of military brass. 5.56 and 308 dirt cheap. Is there anything i should know? Is it reloadable? I only ask because it would really be the end of my marriage if I filled our garage with 6k lbs of brass and it had no market value other then scrap.

Thanks in advance,

GIO

Yes, it's reloadable, but with a catch. The primer pockets are crimped, so you have to ream them before reloading. As I understand it, many prefer the military brass because they are made to thicker wall and webbing specifications. Not sure how true that is.

Thanks Friday! If this deal goes through I will pass it on to the BE crowd. It is a 6k lbs bulk tote of brass from a gov't auction. Hope it works or i may be looking for a couch to sleep on.

I'm definitely in favor of you buying that brass but there may be a special clause on the contract that says you will scrap this brass out & not use it for reloading. Now I personally hope that isn't the case but that has been the situation on many of the gov. auctions I've seen. If that is the case & you do sign that, please don't put it on the website, ok? I want to buy some of the brass & I don't want to be part of a so-called "crime".

On another note, 6000lbs of brass would certainly fix someone up with plenty of brass to reload! Have you calculated out approx how many pcs of brass that might be? Mil brass is heavier than civilian stuff, at least in most cases. I'd like to be inline to buy some or do you need any pistol brass? I would certainly trade some with you or buy some 223 if I can afford it. I'm not afraid of crimped primers. ;)

MLM

A lot of the gov/mil surplus auctions I've seen do require a de-mill of the brass, but every so often one doesn't. FWIW, at a few $ a lb for scrap brass, it's going to take some scratch up front to beat the scrap dealers. Edit: Scrap brass seems to be way down.. under $1/lb now! :D :D http://www.scrapspot.com/03-0132.html

Of course to sell 6000 lbs of brass on here, you'd need a dealer account like the rest of the brass dealers ;)

Thanks everyone. I am sure this deal will not be as easy as it seems. As far as dealing...I was thinking of it as more of a "group buy" for the BE crowd. Not looking to get in the brass business. If possible I will try to make the deal work then pass it on from there. Just pitching in and "spreading the wealth". I'l keep everyone posted

What exactly is "Backdoor brass business" ? And what is implied by the "Just so you know" BS. I have zero intention of nickle and diming people with brass sales. As i stated before, I simply came across a good deal and if I can pass that on I will.

If there is some type of Brass Mafia that i do not know about please fill me in. Deal may not go through but it is nice to see capitalism is alive and well.

Edited by GIO

Flex is one of the moderators here & sort of runs the show. He is a good guy. The forum is supported by dealers & the amount of brass you are talking about selling is pretty high so they would probably like you to join as a dealer. I think there is some kind of charge for this.

Once he realizes you don't understand what he is talking about, I am sure he will speak more clearly. Hopefully they will take into account that you aren't trying to make money off this deal but just help out fellow shooters, & will work with you a little bit.

I am definitely interested in buying some of this if it is affordable. Feel free to contact me through the forum by email or pm.

Thanks,

MLM

• 3 weeks later...
Most available .308 brass has been fired out of machine guns. The brass stretches a lot because of the big chambers. Case separations are very common after the next firing.

I reload 30-06 & .308 Military brass all of the time. I usually shoot my reloads in the MG that was originally shot in with no problems on the first reload. After alto of testing, I have found that if you try to use the brass after the second reload, you will then begin experience case separations. But you should be able to get at least 2 reloads + original load on any brass shot via MG.