Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625-3 3 inch

Boats

What about a 625 3 inch for IDPA ? My carry prefrence is a revolver, shoot the auto classes in IDPA. However the 625's to my mind are too big for true carry. Have a 4 inch 28 and 25-5, they never get to go along with me due to size & weight.

Local shop has a 3 inch 625 45 ACP for sale. Nice pistol and I think it would carry fine. IDPA except perhaps stage 3 of the classifer would the 3 inch gun would give anything up to a 4 inch. Might need a bit more powder to make the PF too.

Any comments ?

Boats

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that a 3" 625 would be cool, regardless. As for the classifier- you would at a slight disadvantage, but nothing too dramatic I would think. The -0 rings are pretty generous. It wouldn't be the most competitive gun on the range, but I bet that it would be a topic of conversation.

I think the biggest complaint would be sight radius. I noticed that my 4" 625 is less than my 1911s. Think though when they measure revo barrels they leave out the cylinder (chamber) in autos they add the chamber. On the other the revo's rear sight sits more forward than the autos does.

I have a 3" 625 and have shoot it at USPSA matches. I am shooting minor PF. With a 200 gr Rainier plated bullet, it was a challenge just to make minor. I have fired some friends major loads through it although I doubt it would have chrono'd major due to loss of velocity with the 3" barrel. He was using 230 gr plated bullets. For me, getting a load that would shoot major with plated bullets, would just be too uncomfortable to shoot. Might be different with lead. My revolver is very accurate and I like the way it balances in the my hand. Compact barrel is really nice for strong hand/weak hand stages. Long distance shots are more challenging but doable. I think the finding the right combination for a good major load that is accurate and not too brutal in the recoil/blast will be your biggest challenge. Great gun. I originally purchased mine so I could compete in the snubby division at the IRC. Still haven't made it back there but one keeps on hoping. Best of luck.

Thanks all, Power factor would be the issue for sure. My standard 45 acp automatic load is a 200 gr SWC at 850 fps. Just makes the factor from a 5 inch pistol will not out of a Commander. So would not for sure out of a 3 inch gun. It would be a blaster loaded much hotter too. Would be a fun gun for local matches, our club runs a basic match every so often that is not strict equipment wise. Perhaps ICORE, I think there power factor is lower but don't know for sure. Come to think if it I bet you could shoot the short 45 IDPA in SSR and easaly make that factor. will have a look at the rule book.

Boats

Edited by Boats

I see that power factor rule now. So if I have a 3 inch that won't make it no worries factor will be taken with my ammo in a 4 inch or better yet a 4.2 inch gun. I could work up loads that meet the factor in my Commander and just shoot them in the 3 inch. Sound legal ?

Boats

I see that power factor rule now. So if I have a 3 inch that won't make it no worries factor will be taken with my ammo in a 4 inch or better yet a 4.2 inch gun. I could work up loads that meet the factor in my Commander and just shoot them in the 3 inch. Sound legal ?

Boats

The load making major out of the commander may or may not make major out of a different 4 inch barell, but it should be pretty close. Just shoot the gun and don't worry much about it. The chrono does not appear too often at IDPA matches. I have chronoed 1 time and have shot 5 state matches and one nationals. Just go have some fun with it. :cheers:

Thanks all

Bought it, seems OK only real negative and probably the reason it was discounted is Pacmyers instead of factory grips.

High Vel, who made those grips ? looks like Spegals. Any holster advice ?

Boats

Thanks will look at Houges yours look real nice, I use Comp-tacs for my M&P 9 IDPA SSP It's a great holster but not real concealable sticks out too far. Want this 3 inch to be mostly a carry pistol just sometime competitor. Could be actually concealing this big revolver is not possible anyway. For a 342 & M 10 2 inch use El Paso's street combat, smooth outline never prints through.

Boats

Boats - Take a look at the PMK by Milt Sparks for a possible concealment holster. Not cheap and it takes some time to get but excellent quality. I use one with a 2" K-frame that I am so happy with I've ordered another for my 3" K-frame. I use a Blade-Tech with the 3" 625. Depending on which belt attachment you would use that is another possibility. I just use mine for competition.

I had a set of Craig Speigel boot grips for my 625 and if I would get another set I would get the extended set. I use the boot grips on my K-frames with no problems but needed more length to properly control the N-frame. Presently using the one the Hogues rubber grips (not the Mono boot grip).

Thks HI VEL, Steelshooter good tip on the Milt Sparks, Have one of his Watch 6 IWB holsters for my Commander. The PMK holster may be the way to go or perhaps the HSR depends on which one carrys close. Takes so long to get one though. This pistol will shoot IDPA from my 4 inch leather N frame holster so could use it while waiting for Sparks. Am going to try a couple of N Frame RB grips over the next few weeks at club matches. Several 625's shoot regularly.

Gun may or may not need a few tweaks too. Will shoot it some and see. Plan is to shoot in SSP over the winter and work this revolver in after so have some time

Boats

The PMK will hug closer than the HSR. I have a holster by G.M. Davis that is almost the same as the HSR and it sticks out more than the PMK. The PMK does sit a little lower on the belt than some other holsters but I was really impressed on how tight to the body it molded. It took about 6 months to get mine.

You will probably want to chamfer the cylinder, have the internals polished up to smooth the action, possibly bob the hammer, and I like to paint the front ramp sight orange so it is easier to pick-up or put in a fiber optic on my competition revolvers.

Steelshooter agree the PMK us the way go. will put an order in to Sparks. Even though the gun was "local" was over the state line so still going through the transfer paperwork. Recieving dealer I use is a good Smith & Wesson gunsmith. Will get him to go over things carefully. He has flat rate Chamfer and action jobs. All the guys with 625's in our club use him. Might want to look him up TheRevolverArmorer.

Only place I may disagree with you is on the sights. I like black on black, to be fair have never given high visiblity sights a chance though.

Boats

Boats - Couple of other thoughts concerning possible holster selection. Kramer Leather is very popular in this area. They have a hi-ride belt scabbard holster that is very popular. I don't own one but have a friend who uses it with a mdl. 65 and he is very happy with it. Check out www.smith-wessonforum.com and go to the CCW subforum. Lots of info on carry holsters. Might give you some other options.

Sights are an individual thing. My eyesight has gotten progressively worse these last 5 years and wasn't too good to start with.

Fiber optics on my competition revolvers allows me to pick-up the front sight much quicker. Now, instead of being really, really slow, I am just slow. Love them for competition but personally would never use for carry. For my fixed sighted revolvers, I like to paint the front sight so I have contrast to pick it up quickly. Especially with stainless, the ramp front sight just seems to blend into the barrel. I like black on black on some of the autos I shot. Bottom line - use what works best for you.

Checked out the gunsmith's website you listed. Very reasonable prices. You'll find that alot of the members on this forum do their own work. If you decide to try your hand at it there are many who will talk you thru it. I am not mechanically inclined but am lucky to have a good friend who is. He also likes good Irish whiskey. It's amazing the things you can have done if you offer the right incentives :D. Enjoy!

Steelshooter.

Agree on using what works best. Tell you the truth I have almost no experence with anything but black sights. ought to try bright front sometime. I do some gunsmithing on Rifles however a Smith is fairly complicated and a little wrong can realy screw things up. My rifle advice to hobby smiths is buy a beater gun to experement with.

On the holster Put a Sparks order in yesterday. PMK

Matt at Revolver Armorer does a lot of the revolver work for our Club members. He has a good mix of experence. Professional Armorer in the Coast Guard but has always been a revolver fan He won't work on anything else in his shop. Active competitor too ICORE and IDPA. Ex CG myself so lean toward him if possable.

Boats

Edited by Boats

• 3 weeks later...

After it crossed state lines dealer to dealer picked up the 625-3 inch last week. My gunsmith looked at it quick and said to shoot it for a while before bringing it back for any changes. Shot it couple of times, some observations and questions. Have been haunting the old post on 625's which have answered most questions. This revolver will be mostly carry but want to shoot it some IDPA. Probably take it through a classifier late spring.

Put on a set of Spigel boot grips guy at the gun club loaned me. They conceal real well, shooing with my standard 45 ACP 1911 loads you do have to hold on tight. May be better to switch to larger grips like the full size Houges for IDPA, they may conceal well too. Trial and error will tell

Used 200 gr SWC's with 5.3 and 2nd Load 5.7 W 231. first is marginal on the IDPA power factor 2nd makes it easy They are loaded for two different 1911's. No reason to use the exact same load as for Automatics though and have been looking at components on hand. Have some 200 gr RN cast cowboy action bullets intended for the 45 LC. .452 with a crimping grove, Weight and round nose look right. I never crimp 45 Acp but could with this bullet and a lee collet die. Anybody every crimp for 625's ? Also will work up something with lighter recoil for practice and 2nd load enough to make the power factor for IDPA. Thinking about 4.5 of W 231 Would be good to only have one revolver load though. depends on how well each one works out.

On the Cylinder. Something is going on with the moon clips. Some don't want to seat home and have to be thumb pushed in and started perfectly clean only running 50 rounds at a time. I am sorting brass now and plan to give it another try with the round nose bullets and brass all matched. Moon Clips look ok no obvious bends or anything. On one of the old 625 post it was mentioned that early 625's were cut different moon clip wise. My gunsmith can polish and chamfer the chambers, think anything else is required ? Think the cylinder itself is a different spec than newer guns ? one of the old post mentioned running a reamer in 625-3 cylinders.

Nice revolver and looks like it's going to be fun to work with.

All comments appreciated

Boats