Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital Read Out

CSEMARTIN

I think I have decided between the Acu-Rite Vue, the Acu-Rite 200S, the Newall C70 or the Newall DP900.

The Newall comes with a 5-yr warranty. The Acu-Rite comes with a 3-yr warranty, and has a Bridgeport specific moutning bracket. Mike at Candomachinery.com tells me the Acu-Rite is easier to install. Price is pretty much the same between models and brands to within a hundred bucks.

What DRO's are you guys using? Which one should I go with?

Here is some more information on the Acu-Rite and Newall DRO's:

http://candomachinery.com/acuriteDRO.html

http://candomachinery.com/newallDRO.html

I have used just about every kind of DRO made since they first came out. The ones that always seem to stay accurate the

longest are Accu-Rite. They are very high quality. That's the only kind I will buy. All Accu-Rite models are good, it's just a matter of what features

you want or can afford. The Accu-Rite VUE looks like the best value. It goes to 2 tenths where most readouts only go to 5 tenths

(half a thousandth). I paid $2700.00 for my .0002 Master MP abot 12 years ago and it doesn't have a video screen, just 2 number

displays. I use it on a daily basis and it shows no signs of wearing out or becoming less accurate. You only need 2 axes, X and Y.

The dial on the knee stays accurate because gravity keeps all the slack out of that leadscrew. That is the Z axis.

Hello: Get the Accurite or Mitutoyo DRO's. I have used machines with these and they both are great. I have seen these dro's on machines that have been left on for the last 10 years and they still work just fine. The readout on the older models have LED displays not the newer LCD screens. As stated above you don't need the "Z" readout. Mitutoyo make a small caliper attachment that works well for that. I would also check with other supply houses to see what deals they have on DRO's as well. I am going to get a DRO for my old Bridgeport with the "M" head this Christmas. After all the mill is only about 50-60 years old :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I've been happiest with Accu-rite over the years (and it's what's on my Bridgeport right now). They bought Anilam not long ago and I think the 2 are not much different. Mike certainly has the best price and he'll go to the ends of the earth to help you.

I ordered an Acu-Rite Vue today. The 200S was almost $400 bucks more, and I couldn't justify the extra cost. The 200S has reference points every inch. So if the power goes out, you just have to move the table an inch and it will recalibrate. With the Vue, you have to move the table farther to reset. . Big Whoop!! Also, the 200S has an edgefind function that you can spend another $300 bucks on. It was time to say enough is enough and get the cheaper one. As much as I'm going to be using this, it won't be a big deal.

Thank everyone! I do appreciate the help.

LOL, the quill is Z to me! Damn CNC guys anyway!

:roflol::roflol::roflol::surprise:

Darn it, I have X, Y, Z, plus a Z1 !!!!! And it is not even a CNC !!!!! I have the mill set-up with a DRO in the knee (Z1) in addition to my normal Z in the quill. I had to install an additional display unit since my regular display only has three lines for the read outs. It gives me a much wider latitude for everything. :cheers:

That would work excellent Venry, and is how I would want to set it up. I will admit I am spoiled as hell. I have been using a full 4 axis horizontal CNC machining center lately, about 35" in Z, 40" in X and Y, .001* resolution in B, positioning accuracy of 2 micron anywhere in the envelope and repeatable under 1.5 micron. The B will position within 6 arc seconds and repeats to less than 4. I have a 4 sided tapped tombstone on it with vertical and horizontal jaw vises, the other two sides I can do whatever I need to do. 15K rpm and 25 horsepower, some of the cuts are made at 300 inches per minute and I drive like an old woman when I have gun parts in it LOL. It is nice to have a $350K machine to use for my government work.

That would work excellent Venry, and is how I would want to set it up. I will admit I am spoiled as hell. I have been using a full 4 axis horizontal CNC machining center lately, about 35" in Z, 40" in X and Y, .001* resolution in B, positioning accuracy of 2 micron anywhere in the envelope and repeatable under 1.5 micron. The B will position within 6 arc seconds and repeats to less than 4. I have a 4 sided tapped tombstone on it with vertical and horizontal jaw vises, the other two sides I can do whatever I need to do. 15K rpm and 25 horsepower, some of the cuts are made at 300 inches per minute and I drive like an old woman when I have gun parts in it LOL. It is nice to have a $350K machine to use for my government work.

Howard, that's outstanding ! Just make sure you don't loose your regular day job, 'cause if you do, you'll have to work quite a few nights to afford one of those babies. (that is if you can justify the expense to please your night's fun work = that's a lot of mags you'll have to tune !!!) But, on the meantime, enjoy. :cheers: I am about to purchase a much smaller set up to the one you describe. A fifth axis to rotate the parts will be needed on my set up. Ouch, there goes the cost. I need to fabricate a lot of small parts.

CSEMartin- That's a good set up you got going. It will definately hold you to the specs you need. Enjoy it. :cheers: