Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 LONG Colt

paul788

Is anyone currently using Long Colt brass and making minor pf? I'm interested in using the shorter case in a .38 spl and Comp 3 speedloaders. Last USPSA match I had several shoot four or five rounds and reload. The loaded round hung under the star twice. My theory is the shorter case will be further out of the cylinder and not cause the under the star problem again.

Short Colt looks too short to work consistently with the speedloaders. But I could be wrong.

Thanks

Paul

paul788, I remember a discussion on this a few years back Little Data on Long Colt. Is the Star going around the rim and pulling the round back into the cylinder or just holding the round sideways under the star/ejector? I think, and I use the term loosly, most of the problems with the round being left in the cylinder is not hitting the ejector rod with sufficient force or the thumb or rebound shield hitting the base of the round stripping it from the ejector. However I have been wrong before......alot.... Hope this is helpful. Later rdd

If a loaded round didn't fall out, you are probably not turning the gun vertical to eject. Revos are gravity in, gravity out.

They don't have a recoil spring and slide to jam them in like an auto, so get it vertical down to load, and vertical up

to unload. That solves the problem of cases under the extractor with any kind of brass.

I could not force a loaded 38 Special round to go in front of the star on any of my guns if I wanted to. I suspect that maybe the star has been chamfered some and or maybe the length that the extractor can travel has been modified. Sometimes people cut the spring down for the extractor to increase the stroke for ejection but the down side is you can now put a round in front of the star. I have heard that S&W had some short springs for a time as well. I have found that going from 38 Special cases to the long Colt cases just increases the likelihood that you you get one in front of the star especially if you don't go near vertical for ejection.

I load 3.4 gr of Clays with a 158gr RN moly coated Bear Creek w/PF 128000. As a side note there are stars in heaven, there are stars in the sky, there is a Star of David but there ain't no stars in Smith revolvers, a phrase used by my S&W armorers instructors. There are extractors and ratchets though. :P

Edited by jmax

There is no problem making minor with either Short or Long Colt brass from Starline. I load the SC with 135 gr. LRNs from Billy Bullets (sized .358") and Titegroup powder. I make major with LC Starline brass, 160 gr. Billy Bullets (.358") and Universal Clays. I shot an IPSC-style match locally with my 627 V-Comp and the LC loads in Hearthco moonclips. The recoil is a kind of sharp 'crack' and easy to control with very smooth reloads with those Billy LRNs.

I plan to shoot Production with the minor loads in a 627 times 8 and L10 major with the V-comp gun (with the comp removed ;) .

Bob.

A16841

As a side note there are stars in heaven, there are stars in the sky, there is a Star of David but there ain't no stars in Smith revolvers, a phrase used by my S&W armorers instructors.

Probably the same guys who say it's not a timing problem, it's a FCU (failure to carry up). :)

Unfortunately, the guys at S&W have been pretty much out of touch for awhile now......