LaRue Tactical Multi-Gun

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More fun than I could have imagined.

Thank you to anyone who had a part in making this match happen!

And, I got to shoot a minigun! :bow:

...and I bet you're still smiling, Kyle!!! I am - Kudos to the team that made this match possible and so much damn fun!!!

Whoa... Definately a match that brought you out of your comfort zone. Showed up on my first stage, and even though I told myself "slow down and concentrate on 0 down" I still shot the rifle portion of it like a time plus stage, and just wrecked my score. Eye opener. Took a step back, re-assessed what needed to happen for the rest of the match and worked out pretty well for me. (Despite absolutely freezing my a$$ off all day Saturday)

Shooting two major matches in one weekend is something I will have to think about more before I choose to do it again, but I am pleased with my finishes in both, just wish I could go and get a "mulligan" on the stage I tanked at LaRue... Oh well, there's always next year.

Good to finally meet Greg, as well as Mark LaRue. Between the two of them, as well as many support personnel who worked their butts off all weekend and shot the stages when they could, it was a quality match with some very interesting shooting scenarios and equipment, excellent food, and ONE HELLUVA PRIZE TABLE!!!.

For damn sure you can count me in for next year. Just don't schedule it on the same weekend as Double Tap, okay...?

Did I mention I got to shoot a Dillon Mini Gun?!!!

got the video too!

Me on the minigun...

. I imagine we'll see dozens of minigun vids in the next couple weeks. :)

Great match, excellent work by the staff and ROs. Got to put my Garand through its paces and do a few things with it that I've never done. Definitely looking forward to shooting it again next year!

I understand that this is a new scoring sysstem, but can anyone explain why that running by a pisol target and not fiting a shot , no hits, target not engaged is a 15 sec. penalty but missing a flying clay is a 20 sec, penalty???

:wacko:

DVDTracker... Need to change your name to Garand-Man.

Dude shot the whole match with a M1 Garand. Can you say "ping"! The looks on the RO's faces was priceless.

RO: "Bolt forward, insert a loaded magazine"

DVD: "Uh, I'm shooting a Garand."

RO: "......... :unsure: .....Uhhhh......"

:roflol:

I understand that this is a new scoring sysstem, but can anyone explain why that running by a pisol target and not fiting a shot , no hits, target not engaged is a 15 sec. penalty but missing a flying clay is a 20 sec, penalty???

:wacko:

:devil: the clay is a fire Bomb?

DVDTracker... Need to change your name to Garand-Man.

Dude shot the whole match with a M1 Garand. Can you say "ping"! The looks on the RO's faces was priceless.

RO: "Bolt forward, insert a loaded magazine"

DVD: "Uh, I'm shooting a Garand."

RO: "......... :unsure: .....Uhhhh......"

:roflol:

Hey now, I was an RO on STG 1, and I was like "Well, Guess you can't do a cruiser ready on a garand can ya?"

The priceless look I had was when he shot that rifle better than 50% of the people with scoped race rifles. :cheers:

If the Clays were fire bombs that would explain the 20 sec penalty, especially when they were actually coming at you and landing behind you, when we shot.

But having just reread the scoring it seems, neither I nor the RO knew the correct penalty, clays were supposed to be 10 sec for a miss (frangible target) . Next time I'll have a copy of the latest rules with me .

I was trying to remember what stages were what. Hence the request for a link to the description of the stages.

Wish I had been there to see how the ROs dealt with the Garand.

Great match, plenty of suupport and RO to make n it happen. Definitely properly staffed and set up.

You could see the amount of labor that went into organizing, setting up & running the match.

Edited by SC-Texas

Well there were so many firsts for me in this match I don't know where to even start (Door breeching, low crawling, and a MINIGUN just to name a few). All I can say is this is the best overall match that I've ever seen and participated in. I want to thank ALL the ROs, Match Directors, and folks that were involved in making all of this possible. We just finished doing our Louisiana State match a few weeks ago and know what it took to put this on in such grand fashion and really appreciate all the hard work. Hey Kyle, Tactical Ted has reported back and says that he is recovering with only minor swelling and inflammation. Over 2 days the distinct sound of the minigun brought a smile to my face everytime it "burped". Hey Kyle, "I got to shoot a MINIGUN!" too and it was awesome. I'm in for next year. I think May will be a lot better weather. While I didn't agree with some of the scoring rules, I think they were scored the same for pretty much everyone which had the same end result of where folks finished up in the overall results. This match definitely had something for everyone to take them out of there comfort zone no matter what your skill level, work experience, or knowledge was. Does anyone remember the website that David Fortier said the videos would be on after editing? Something like "gunfantv.com" or something like that.

JV

Wish I had been there to see how the ROs dealt with the Garand.

I started every stage with the rifle unloaded and the clip either staged next to it or on my vest. On the stage with the 20 round magazine limit, I shot it with two clips (16rds) and then transitioned to pistol. Most stages didn't require a reload if you were using an AR. I always had to load once, then do one or two more reloads during the stage.

We did the walkthrough on stage five... "After clearing the star, engage the five remaining paper targets with your rifle." and I'm thinking "Five? Why couldn't it have been four?" :roflol:

I picked up some tips on loading it from some seasoned Garand shooters that I'm going to try on my next trip to the range.

Overall a nice interesting match with good stages IMO. Scoring too harsh by a little bit in several areas but still allowed speed as well as requiring finesse... Not a "strolling bullseye match" as I (also) had feared. ;)

A couple of stages got bottlenecked up pretty bad. Not sure if it was a combination of design and staff or just the order of the more complex stages in the shooting flow. I did see some groups that had 2 or 3 people doing all of the work with the rest sitting on their asses of shooting the shit while the few did it all. I think (hope) it was just that they were newbies (rather than simply lazy bastards) and did not know any better.....?

Excellent eats provided just about all day long on both days. Free drinks and water to all. The food (while simple) was really a big step up from your usual fare at matches...

Porta cans had TP and were adequate.

Most of the staff did their jobs efficiently and had enough knowledge to get the job done. Had a couple of stages with RO's trippin on some kind of ego thing. Some did not adhere to what they had just read at the stage brief and changed requirements in mid stage. One AMU member (US Army Ranger sniper with 5 tours in - 2 in Afghanistan and 3 in Iraq) got lectured down to pretty stiffly about "Real World" tactics. Pretty sad stuff there but it was confined AFAIK to one pair at a single stage.

Great Prize table! :cheers:

I think it is a good match that may grow to be a really good or even great match if all involved stay with it.

As a huge turn around in my thought pattern I have a glimmer of cautious hope that NRA involvement may actually benefit 3 gun. Possibly with the political clout of the NRA and their "acceptance and recognition" of shooting sports involving (gasp) Speed and Black Guns we may actually gain both public acceptance and new members. That has to be a good thing.

.02 from me.

WHAT a match. Made it home last night about 11 pm. Still trying to recover. Will post photos and a little more later.

Oh and by the way, the Alamoshooter is now TACTICAL. :)

:mellow: ..... <_< ...... :angry2: your calling me names :roflol:

Tactical? Maybe, But am I ? B) TactiCool

Overall a nice interesting match with good stages IMO. Scoring too harsh by a little bit in several areas but still allowed speed as well as requiring finesse... Not a "strolling bullseye match" as I (also) had feared. ;)

A couple of stages got bottlenecked up pretty bad. Not sure if it was a combination of design and staff or just the order of the more complex stages in the shooting flow. I did see some groups that had 2 or 3 people doing all of the work with the rest sitting on their asses of shooting the shit while the few did it all. I think (hope) it was just that they were newbies (rather than simply lazy bastards) and did not know any better.....?

Excellent eats provided just about all day long on both days. Free drinks and water to all. The food (while simple) was really a big step up from your usual fare at matches...

Porta cans had TP and were adequate.

Most of the staff did their jobs efficiently and had enough knowledge to get the job done. Had a couple of stages with RO's trippin on some kind of ego thing. Some did not adhere to what they had just read at the stage brief and changed requirements in mid stage. One AMU member (US Army Ranger sniper with 5 tours in - 2 in Afghanistan and 3 in Iraq) got lectured down to pretty stiffly about "Real World" tactics. Pretty sad stuff there but it was confined AFAIK to one pair at a single stage.

Great Prize table! :cheers:

I think it is a good match that may grow to be a really good or even great match if all involved stay with it.

As a huge turn around in my thought pattern I have a glimmer of cautious hope that NRA involvement may actually benefit 3 gun. Possibly with the political clout of the NRA and their "acceptance and recognition" of shooting sports involving (gasp) Speed and Black Guns we may actually gain both public acceptance and new members. That has to be a good thing.

.02 from me.

Wheres mall security when you need it? lol

Any one know where to get the NRA targets that were used in this match? I like them and would like to use them in our 3 Gun and Carbine Matches.

Also any one know were to get the small cardboard metric targets?

Thanks?

Great match!

Thanks to Larue and the other match sponsors, and especially all the hard work of the match organizers and RO's who had a rather challenging week getting the match ready :cheers:

Congrats to the winners and top finishers -- it is always amazing to me to see what can be done with a little raw tallent and a ton of practice. Outstanding finish Mr. Horner.

Pros:

Great stages

Nice mix of close and far rifle targets and slugs and shot, and handgun thrown in. Also good mix of "problems" that remind us of the stuff that we hate to practice, but should do anyway LOL. Doing the long range off a roof and a moving helecopter was evil and I loved it!

Food was awesome -- and having it available whenever you had time is the way to do it.... how many matches have you gone to with a designated lunch time that only results in everyone getting in line for an hour.

Score keeping - Linda is nothing short of a miracle worker....I have never seen her in action and it was amazing. From last shot to prize table could not have been 15 minutes.

Mini-gun ---thanks!

Prize table -- simply unbelievable. Your right Greg, we would go without it, but it sure was nice. I finished on the second page and came home with a gun.

Cons -- First I say again, great match and my two bits here are meant as constructive criticism because I hope you have this match every year from now on and I can get in. :)

The 180 -- it is a sacrosanct rule in other shooting competitions for a damn good reason. At the end of the day, this is a competition, and if somebody gets shot, that ends the fun real fast. If the desire is not to ding newbies with a DQ, I get it, and I applaud the desire to encourage new entrants in the shooting sports. But I respectfully suggest that RO's at least be instructed to scream and holler if the 180 is broken to keep things safe. Quite the opposite, many specifically told competitiors they " did not care about the 180" ..... I do.

Time -- some down time was had, but not really too bad IMHO, but some of this probably could have been avoided by balancing out the size of some of the squads.

Clays -- is it broken "enough"? Gets very darn subjective as to whether a shooter has to do a dry reload into the shotgun and then re-engage the targets becuase the clay was not busted "enough". Suggested to dump this rule....if the RO thinks the clay was hit, call it a hit and move on.

That was all the grips, and I say again, GREAT MATCH. THANKS!

OK I told Greg that next year ..."IF" the match was exactly the same, and "if" the weather would be worst, &"If" the match cost twice as much. I would still sign up rite now. <_<:unsure: even if I knew some bad ammo would be in my bag.

I'm going to learn this game

:blush: 92 seconds in penalties :sick:

Did you know Waco was 650 miles from San Antonio?

Edited by AlamoShooter

Fun match, bad scoring, and...as always at Tiger Valley...the porta-johns are clusters at the stat shack instead of being at the (very, very far) ends of the range. Not a problem for guys, really, but some of the ladies seemed displeased :unsure:

I've never match staff roar up to a stage on a 4-wheeler, stomp up to the line, grab a competitor's (grounded, hot) weapon (get called on it by the RO, who was clearing the competitor's OTHER weapon at the next shooting position), and then bitch at the squad and the RO's for moving too slow. <_< That was interesting.

One of the very senior competitors on my squad commented that this was actually eight different matches, since the scoring changed RADICALLY between stages and then again between stage RO's. The RO's clearly made up their approach to the rules as they went along, since nothing was actually written down as far as how to score. Some wanted the clays broken in at least two parts, some wanted the clays at least cracked, and some wanted every piece of the clay off the holder. Most scored paper targets "on the line, scores go down", but some decided that was a "majority of the bullet hole on one side or the other" was enough, some were "grease ring touches, get a penalty," and some were scoring line hits score up. Random.

Due to backlogs on some stages, my squad was ordered from one side of the range to the other, ordered in to go in conflicting directions, and after the fifth or sixth change of guidance directly from on high within ten minutes noted that some folks were not mature enough to run a match without losing what little cool they had.

Like all the Tiger Valley matches, rule enforcement was lax and very arbitrary. A rifle broke on the clock: Reshoot, no penalty. A shotgun was abandoned, safety off, with a round on the carrier: 40 second penalty, not a DQ. Scoring inconsistencies, gear handling inconsistencies, and such...pretty much standard as no-standard, and up to the whim of the RO and MD at the time.

Also like all the other Tiger Valley matches I have shot, it was a lot of fun. Don't worry about the few written (and many, many unwritten) rules, ignore the odd RO playing "tacticool geek," shoot the stages, take whatever random score you get, and press on :cheers:

Alex

Edited by kellyn
No personal attacks, thank you very much.