Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 conv. or new 650?

I currently have a 1050 in 40. I want to be able to load for 9mm and 38SC. Should I buy a 650 or the conversion kits for the 1050? Also, how difficult is it to convert on the 650 and the 1050? Thanks.

Same shellplate for 9mm/40.....all you need to do is use the #3 brass buttons and change out the dies, nothing else.

For Supercomp you will need a .223 shellplate if I remember correctly, and your 9mm 38 super dies, someone will know that for sure and post.

It will take only minutes........I do it all the time, I wouldnt go down from a 1050 if you absolutely dont have to.....worse case you buy a couple of toolhead/powder measures and you are still cheaper than a set up 650 with all your dies ready to go for the other calibers......

Good luck,

DougC

1050 toolheads took a big price jump last year but they're still worth it. Ten minutes to rip the whole machine down and set it back up in another caliber.

I agree but don't forget to make one of these to protect the ivetment.

Dillon doesn't make one but they do for the 550/650.

HPIM0696.jpg

Doug,

Same shellplate for 9mm/40.....all you need to do is use the #3 brass buttons and change out the dies, nothing else.

Are you saying that for a 650 as well as a 1050? I know some folks do that on the 1050, but I haven't heard anyone tell me that they do that on the 650.

And I've also had customers tell me that although they did go from 40 to 9 on the 1050 by just using #3 buttons, they may occasionally have a problem because the 40 Shellplate is a bit on the loose side for 9mm, even with the #3 buttons.

For Supercomp you will need a .223 shellplate if I remember correctly

A 223 Shellplate is required for any press, to load 38SC. (And all the presses have sku numbers for 38SC Caliber Conversion Kits.

... 38 super dies, someone will know that for sure and post.k,

38 Super dies are also 38SC dies.

be