Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Protection

Baer45

This is one of thoe questions I hate to ask because it show my ignorance. How many reloaders wear hearing protection while reloading? I had not worn any until I read about someone blowing a tube of primers and having permanent hearing loss. (supposedly) How many reloaders (you guys) have had primers explode and what was the result? I going to get my Pelters... Court in Richmond

I would guess from the amount of replies to this post we should wear eye protection for our eyes but don't worry about our ears...or perhaps the thought of exploding primers is something best left as an aside...

Edited by Baer45

I generally wear eye protection and latex gloves when reloading, but I have never worn hearing protection. Now that I think about it I might start wearing earplugs while reloading, as it will cut down on auditory distractions as well as offer protection. :)

I have detonated a whole tube of primers on my 650 and didn't suffer any adverse effects from the noise. As a matter of fact, I never even noticed the noise. There were other things occupying my attention at that moment. :surprise:

I have had single primers pop on the press, but didn't consider them to be overly noisy.

and by the way, even though my wife accuses me of being stone cold deaf, the ear testing at work tells me my hearing is excellent.

fwiw

dj

I have had two detonations (single primer) at the primer seating station of my 650. Both times it rung my ears. Both times I was moving too fast. EVERY time you "ring" your ears you have suffered permamant hearing loss. I wear safety glasses and latex gloves while reloading. I do not wear muff/plugs. I should wear plugs.

Bob

Thanks for the feedback. I would rather know what ot expect then find out the hard way! I thought this might be an interesting post as I have heard so many different stories. One gentleman told me his primer tube turned into a rifle barrel when it went off and messed up his ceiling...I fogot to ask him about his earing. The good news is I have not heard of anyone being hurt...

I reload 500 to 1000 rounds per week and only had a single primer go off when trying to force a primer into a piece FC or WCC brass, which I now cull and dump. The bang was pretty loud, but I don't remember any ringing.

Question for the those who had the entire tube of primers go off. When did it happen? When loading a new 100 primers or during the reloading process?

dajarrel: As a matter of fact, I never even noticed the noise. There were other things occupying my attention at that moment.

Yeah, I imagine it was the fountain of fire coming out of the primer tube, right?

I also am curious about when it happened and what brand of primers you use. Knock on wood, I usually use Winchesters and have, without realizing it, crushed them sideways or had them go in backwards. So far I'm lucky, no bangs. I'm usually really concentrating on what I am doing and would probably have to crawl down from the ceiling after one went off and change my pants.

There are a couple of threads that have run over the last couple of years lamenting the premature detonation of primers, particularly in 650's. The primer system in a 550 doesn't lend itself to setting off an entire tube, but somehow, on a 650 the fire will propogate around the primer disc back to the tube and launch the primer rod. Not in all cases, but in enough to be a concern. Real exciting.

The primers, in my case, were Federal small pistol primers. And, Yes, I was going too fast and punching too hard.

The Federals are more prone to going off for the same reason revolver shooters use them. They are softer.

If you realize the potential and work cautiously, you shouldn't ever have any problem. If the primer doesn't want to seat, don't push it. Most of the time this is all it takes.

Good luck to ya. May you never have to look up and see your primer follower rod sticking out of your ceiling :surprise:

fwiw

dj

I must be very lucky. Have reloaded for about 25 years and have yet to have a primer detonate on me. I've had a few go in sideways very crushed but they didn't go off either. Absolutely I wear eye protection, but have never felt the need to hearing protection when I'm cranking on the Dillon.

What are the hardest primers? I also was told CCI and Federal are one in the same primer...

I've never used CCI primers but have been told and read in several threads on this forum that they are about, if not the hardest primer made. Federals on the other hand are very soft. That softness makes it possible for revolver shooters to run a greatly reduced trigger pull and still get reliable ignition.

fwiw

dj

Well...I had my first "incident" last night. I was loading on my 1050 when all of a sudden "Bam!". I was going at a steady rate and could find no reason for the ignition. I only had one primer left in the tube and it did not go off. From now on I am wearing hearing protection! It appears that the primer was seated prior to exploding. It must have gone off as the case was moved to the next station. I loaded 100 rounds after with no problem. Remington Large Pistol Primers....

I always ear plugs when loading. Once the ringing (tinitus) starts it never goes away. My right ear has been ringing since 1969.

+1 to Joe D.

Baer, you ought to try and find out what made the primer go off. I've experienced primer det. in a Dillon 1050 too, several years ago. It was a Win., and was crushed into popping off - I should have probably backed off. I usually wear ear protection, you might give those protectors with built-in radio a try. Listen to some nice music, make ammo, have a nice time of it. (and yes, I've got some serious "extra sounds" in my ears, though not because of the 1050 incident.)

Regards, Siphon

I also had a whole tube of Federal primers light off in my 650. It happened so fast it sounded like one primmer. I was stunned to say the least, but my hearing was okay. I do not wear ears, but I always wear eyes.