Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62x39 making major

bigsaxdog

got a vepr IIk that i shoot in ipsc action rifle and 3-gun events. talking to some of the guys about trying to load it up to the 340 power factor. the wolf 154 grain load is supposed to make 2100fps (never chronographed in my gun), and the math says that with a 150 grain bullet(there's a few out there in .310), that i  gotta go 2266, about 10% better than published max data. am i gonna go KABOOM trying this? somehow the image of an ak-47 bolt flying into my face makes certain body parts pucker! anybody try this for the gaming sake at big matches? there's plenty of room in the case for more AA1680, maybe just go up real slow, and watch for pressure signs? any ideas?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Barrel length on that gun is . . .??

Several Finns were loading to IPSC rifle Major and their data is posted here - BUT, they were using AR-15 uppers in 7.62x39.

With the lower power factor for rifle, you whould be fine working up a load with a chrono. Others have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but ........ I have some 7.62x39 brass coming in the mail (supposedly). I wouldn't mind giving this a try if anyone has any load data. Also, who made the .310 150gr bullets?

• 1 month later...

I'm shooting 143-grain Battle Born Munitions .308 across the board. I'm shooting iron sights and have no problem with the hits being calibrated to the rear sight range clicks of an M14 platform.

Edited by MAC702