Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 inch limited gun question

RAZZ

Those of you running a 6 inch gun, could you explain to me how the recoil system operates. I see some that have what appears to be the guide rod of a 5 inch gun, and others that have a guide rod going all the way to the end of the gun, contacting the barrel bushing. For the 6 inch guns with a 5 inch-gun guide rod, how is the barrel bushing kept from rotating?

Thanks.

Edited by RAZZ

Those of you running a 6 inch gun, could you explain to me how the recoil system operates. I see some that have what appears to be the guide rod of a 5 inch gun, and others that have a guide rod going all the way to the end of the gun, contacting the barrel bushing. For the 6 inch guns with a 5 inch-gun guide rod, how is the barrel bushing kept from rotating?

Thanks.

I do use both a bull barrel and a bushing barrel on my 6'ers. The 5 inch recoil system with the 5 inch guide rods are used on both.

With the bushings I use either a recessed detent pin/ball or a mid joint indexing set screw. Yup. It requires a good eye and some micro machining... among other neat things. ;)

Thanks.

I do use both a bull barrel and a bushing barrel on my 6'ers. The 5 inch recoil system with the 5 inch guide rods are used on both.

With the bushings I use either a recessed detent pin/ball or a mid joint indexing set screw. Yup. It requires a good eye and some micro machining... among other neat things. ;)

Thank you sir. That's what I was looking for.

I use a 5" recoil system and bushing barrels in all of my 6" guns. The bushing is held conventionally with no additional machining or parts using a 5" guide rod. The recoil spring plug is the ONLY part that is different and it is a stock on the shelf component.

Thanks.

Ok. To clarify something here ...

If you are using a normal muzzle end slide, which can use a regularly available off the shelf 6" recoil spring plug, it will obviously reach forward to lock and hold the bushing in place. Most of these plugs are indeed machined to utilize the 5" recoil spring ... but they are "heavy" up front and need to be lightened somehow. When you utilize the regular 5" recoil spring plugs, as you would when you are removing a good portion of the lower forward portion of the slide, then this plug can not reach forward to lock the bushing. I assumed this was what "RAZZ" meant to get the answer for. If you fabricate (as I just started to do) a 6" recoil plug that is "eared" at the muzzle end and opened at the bottom, then you do not need any other "mechanical" means to secure the bushing from rotating. But this is not something you can pick up off the shelf.

Any other solutions (practical that is) off the shelf or otherwise ???????

Great information guys, thanks very much. There is a little more to this than I thought. Does anyone have a picture of the 6" plug that uses the 5" guiderod that they could post?

Thanks.