Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing

Jody Waring

Hello. I was wondering which of the various manufacturers makes the best resizing die for 9mm,9x21

.38 super etc.... Has anyone have a die where you get a good squeeze to the bottom of the case without that little bulge? I load 9x21 and 9mm. Also, anyone use the CP+P+ 9x21 brass? I find it very hard and after a couple of firings I get the odd brass that gives me extraction troubles, it gets caught in the chamber from the swelling. I have some Hirtenberger 9x21 that has been loaded several times and haven't had any such trouble. All my ammo is loaded on an RL550B.

I believe it is Lee that makes it, but EGW sells a die that is .001 undersize and that they machine the bottom of the die down so that it doesn't "flair" much at the bottom.  I use one in .40 on my 550 and it does a great job of removing the bulge.  Best $20 I ever spent on a die.  They also sell the die in 9X19 and .38 Super.  9X21 isn't listed though.

http://www.egw-guns.com

Quoted from EGW's website:

"EGW offers custom made sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. These dies also flair lower than some other sizing dies and size the case further down, which may prevent feed failures from cases bulged near the base as is typical of brass fired in Glock and other loose chambered guns.

A must for the serious competition reloader."

Jody, I'm thinking that a tighter sizing die will solve your case sticking (base bulge) problems, so I am also going to recommend the Lee sizing dies.

I use the Lee 9x19 die for 9x21 and it works fine (I never found any actual 9x21 dies when I was tooling up for 9x21). I have never had a 9x21 ammo gauge, so I just keep adjusting the sizing die until cases are a loose & easy drop fit in my 9x21 barrel.

I also use the Lee die in .38 stupor, and get really good results compared to the Dillon die I tried first. The .38 Dillon die left base bulges, and was the reason I switched to the Lee sizing dies in the first place. I do use the Dillon seating & crimp dies because they work better than the Lee versions.

I haven't had any base bulge problems with the 9x21 CP +P+ brass I was using (sized in the Lee 9x19 die). I ran it about 145-150 PF, and wasn't really stressing the brass that much so maybe my results aren't comparable to yours, but I did get about 4-5 firings with no problems before range losses depleted my supply..

I couldn't find any CP brand 9x21 brass when I went to buy more recently. The only 9x21 I could find was Starline (BTW, Starline doesn't give a +P, or +P+ rating for their 9x21 brass). I haven't had any problems with the batch of Starline I got, but I am only just getting into the second firing on them.

I really liked the CP +P+ 9x21 brass, and would like to get some more of it. Does anyone know if is it still available, and where?

Regards,

The advice about the undersize Lee die from EGW is exactly correct. Have used one for over 50,000 rounds of .38 super and supercomp and they eliminate the swelled base problem for all but the very worst of bulges.

Wish Dillon would figure this out as their dies are top quality, but won't size all the way down because they are too flared at the bottom. Works great for speed of reloading until you get a cartridge jammed in the chamber.

By the way the same thing applies to .40. If you pick up glock brass and you shoot an STI or Para you will eventually get "Glocked" (round stuck in the chamber) if you reload with the Dillon die. Try the Lee or really most other manufacturers resizing dies for the .40 and they eliminate the Glock bulge.

George,

I believe I have seen CP brass listed on Practical Shooting Supplies' website. I just have some older brass that I use for  my lead loads. I find the pressures are much lower and I don't get the swelling problem. The best brass to date I've used is Hirtenberger 9x21. I picked up a bunch a few years back from Dillon, for something like $50/1000. I seclude my multiple fired brass from all the other newer stuff, but I'll tell you what. It resizes good, minimal bulging and the primer pocket stays tight. Its really hard to tell old from new. I have been loading 9x21 for about 8 years and this brass has given me best results. I would like to get thet EGW die. Sounds like it might be the cure.

I'd give EGW a call if you do not see what you want - they had a Lee U die for mi in a cal. not listed on the site.

The home machinists out there might also try trimming back the die steel to expose more of the carbide ring - the steel is hard and the ring very brittle and crack prone so watch out.

Another trick I have done for years is grind off as much metal as you can til you get to the carbide ring. I adjust the reloader to have the sizer just contact the shellplate. I use Lee and Dillon dies and think Lee's are designed better. Don't forget the factory crimp Lee die. It is another trick to perfect ammo.

You don't have a Lee Factory Taper Crimp!!!

Its a cool invention. Its a taper crimp die that's made very well with a carbide sizer built in. They say it crimps your ammo to "factory". I know its marketing but it really is a well made die. Its kind of a final check to your rounds.

I have used one in Super and 40 for years and know its one of the reasons my guns run so well. I think they are like $15. How can I beat you when I must give you all my secrets? Oh, that will make it "oh the sweeter".

PS As h--l freezes over. I do NOT drop check my ammo. Ok now I blew it. Ok, I did a couple times when I was bored sitting in the room.

Jody,

I was a 9x21 buff several years ago.  I still have the P-9 and the reloading components but do not shoot it much anymore.  I exclusively used the 2 variations of the CP 9x21 +P+ brass with great results.  The older style brass is distinguished from the newer stuff by the lettering on the headstamp.  The older stuff had a much finer lettering and the newer brass has much bolder lettering.  I guess you really need to see both types at the same time to clearly see the difference but you can easily tell them apart once you have seen them both.  I started using the standard Dillon 9mm sizer die and was not satisfied with the results.  CP had a special die for their first generation brass called a CP9x21-23-12 die and that worked pretty well.  Once they came out with the second generation brass they recommended a specific Lee die called a Lee 9mm F2 that I switched to.  That seemed to solve all of my resizing problems.  I loaded a 130gr FMJ-RN to ~182pf at the 1.150oal and was able to get numerous firings without any brass bulging problems. Other brands such as Starline or TF would bulge after the first or second firing with comparable loads. You might ask Lee about the the dies that I have listed and see if they explain the differences as they manufactured the CP die also.

Leo

Jody,

I have eliminated the "bulge" problem by using roll sized brass. You will hear many pros & cons but for me, the end result is all ammo  passes the checker and none of it fails to feed  or extract.  

I'm sure that the "U"die works great but the ideal resize is to roll the bulge back in, not push it down and in. Plus, the roll sizing redimensions the rim. This helps with extracton as well as feeding.

for more info,  www.competitionbrass.com

BTW,since the 9x21 is not readliy available as once-fired,  you can have your brass rollsized. Might just be the fix.

Thanks to all for your input. I used to load all of my ammo on a Lee 1000, piced up the 550 and never looked back. I didn't even consider the Lee die superior to the other and just used the Dillon die. I tried a few brass on my single stage tonight with the Lee die and was amazed how hard it squeezed the brass! I think I may cut down the die and shell plate to match to get a full seat in the die. Thanks again!