Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing the sights lift

Darianis

I have been shooting for many years, but only for the last few have I started taking an intrest in training. Well I want to be more accurate so I tried concentrating of watching the sights. I took a friends MKII out to the range and fired several hundred rounds through it. I basically ignored everything other than the sights. squesed the shots as carefully as I could and watched the sights. and basically this is what I found out.

puuuuuullll trigger.... shot breaks .... see the sights again as they start to settle back down... rince repete till eye strain took it's toll.

at 1st my friend swore I was blinking... so I had him stand where he could see and nope not blinking. If I'm not blinking and ignoring everything around me but the sights what else do I need to do?

Is it just a matter of keep doing this or is there some other method I need to be working on? I know it takes time but I want to make sure that I'm doing what I need to so that I'm not waisting my training time as I have vanishing little these days.

Thanks

Try shooting "Bill Drills", and you will eventually "see" the sights moving while also learning the rythym of your gun.

The short on bill drills is shoot 6 rounds as fast as you can WHILE GETTING CENTER ZONE HITS! Reload, then repeat.

I can see my sights moving now, and can call my shots, but it took about ten thousand rounds.

good luck,

kyle

it took me 10s of thousands of rounds before I started to see the "flash" sight picture I had heard of during 'double taps'. After a while you start to NOTICE what you have SEEN all along. You start to be aware of smaller and smaller fragments of time. The Grand Masters do not see anything you don't. What they do is COMPREHEND what we all see. It takes time and a lot of shooting. Sorry, nothing else will substitute.

...so I tried concentrating ...

There is a section in Brian's book that if I remember right is called "the concentration fallacy."

You want to "focus" on the sight picture and front sight, but be able to be aware of other things that are happening (such as the sight lifting). If you are so concentrated on the sight picture that you block out other inputs (such as the sight lifing) then you'll never get there. Basically conentrating is a conscious thought or at least leads to it. Good stuff, I've read that portion of his book about 20 times (when ever I feel myself getting into a concentration rut.

-rvb

I have not been shooting seriously long enough to be able to really see things that well, but I have found that I can sometimes get into a zone when everything just seems to flash into view and I know exactly where I have hit without actually seeing the holes. I just wish I could do that consistently and a lot faster than I am doing it now.

I think that the first time I really felt this happening in a way I could wrap my head around was during a night exercise at a defensive pistol course. I was using a Safariland RLS to attach a flashlight to my pistol and shooting at steel targets. With the low light, the only thing that was lit well was the target and my sights were just outlined in the light on the target. All of a sudden, everything clicked into place and I was shooting hammer pairs and nailing the targets. It was a real rush.

All I can say is that when it is working, I am not focusing on the sights as much as I am focusing on the place on the target I want to hit. Also, there is what I can only describe as a small tunnel of vision around the target and I just sort of pull the sights into the center of that tunnel and shoot.

and ignoring everything around me but the sights what else do I need to do?

You don't need to ignore everything else around you. Observation is all inclusive...you aren't only observing the sights you are observing what is happening around you.

What makes you think you are doing something wrong? Were you able to call your shots correctly? Are you sure the gun is sighted in correctly?

and ignoring everything around me but the sights what else do I need to do?

You don't need to ignore everything else around you. Observation is all inclusive...you aren't only observing the sights you are observing what is happening around you.

What makes you think you are doing something wrong? Were you able to call your shots correctly? Are you sure the gun is sighted in correctly?

Yea I'm fairly good at calling my shots not 100% but I usually know if it's an "A" or not

Hmm seems the consensus is more lead down range hehe can do! I'm sure the wifey will be happy that I need to spend more time at the range and less time under foot :rolleyes:

thanks for all the advice... now if only ammo prices would come more into line with my budget :angry2: Or maybe the happy gnomes will go into the garage and load me a few K's worth. I keep leaving all the supplies out there and every morning I go out to find no more loaded ammo than the night before. Damn cobblers get all the luck!

Absolutely the most important change I made was more hearing protection. 32nrr plugs and Pro ears and I no longer blink. Shot isn't even scary. I've improved markedly in that one change.

Absolutely the most important change I made was more hearing protection. 32nrr plugs and Pro ears and I no longer blink. Shot isn't even scary. I've improved markedly in that one change.

Along the same lines, I double plug. Also shot a lot of rimfire to get used to not blinking and seeing the front sight lift and return.

Of course there is always the dark side, where the dot tells all........

Along the same lines, I double plug. Also shot a lot of rimfire to get used to not blinking and seeing the front sight lift and return.

Of course there is always the dark side, where the dot tells all........

Now that you mention it I have my local smith building my open gun as we speak. Hope to have it in my hot little hands in the next few weeks. I plan on shooting it a good bit over the winter to get ready for next season.