Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Carter

dcarter

It was a great day for shooting! Nice weather but maybe a little muddy. With only 4 stages and little movement it was hard to gauge some of the things I've been working on but I had at least one really good stage and a couple I could have done better on. The classifier, however, was where I really blew it just because I wasn't thinking. One string was weak hand only and I shot it strong hand only. OOOPs. I need to start getting a little better hits as well. I've seen way too many deltas in my last couple of matches and that just won't cut it in production. I have a lot of court over the next couple of weeks so I'm going to try to make it out to the range after court on a couple of those days and work on some things. I'm giving serious consideration to stippling my M&P. Grip tape works well but because I have to shift my grip for mag changes the right side of the grip starts to come off. I was looking at PB's pistol and I think I like the feel of the grip (except it's a nasty shade of blue). :lol: I don't think I'm going to the Miamisburg match like I had planned. It turns out that that is Easter Sunday and I don't think I want to miss egg hunting with my kids. I will be working on elements of the Area 6 match as much as possible over the next couple weeks.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dan,

We need to get Paul and the guys from M'Burg to change the match to Saturday.

That would be nice.

I've been working on some basic starting positions, draws and reloads but I need to get out to the range and do some more practice on steel. I don't have a texas star but I can practice on a plate rack and Pepper poppers. I need to work on more movement exercises as well. I feel like my shooting thus far has been "ok" but I know I can do much better. I'm wondering just how much of my problems at this point are due to my mental game. I have made some really stupid mistakes that cost me way more than I want to. I need have more visual patience and call my shots. I need a system in place to better prepare myself before a stage so I don't forget my plan. At the Indiana SS/Prod match I forgot to engage a target that cost me bad when I had a really good run going. At the last local in Oxford I shot one string of the classifier with my strong hand when I should have shot it with my weak hand. It is these kind of brain farts that are holding me back. I will review what I'm doing preparing for stages and try to come up with a system for myself in the next couple days. Any advice from the gallery here might help.

I'm getting ready for the Area 6 and just realized that when I get back on Sunday I will be starting to go to work in another district. I'm going to try to keep this from being a distraction and work on my game. I wish I had another local to go to before I left for this match but I guess I'll have to settle for a couple trips to the range before I leave. I'm looking forward to getting out of this house for a while as well. The better half is having a difficult time being the "better" half. I hope this little trip will help both of us.

Dan...you are aware that Mburg is having a match tomorrow...right? Your prayer has been answered.

Yes I am aware but my better half would never let me out of the house on Easter Sunday so I could come hang out with "The Blue Egyptian". :roflol:

I've been doing a good amount of dry fire in prep for my next match as well as keeping up with my cardio workouts. I spent another 30 minutes on the eliptical and over an hour of dry fire after that yesterday. I don't think I will get my cardio in today due to court but I will get the dry fire done. I had an "OOOppss" moment yesterday. I went to my ATM to get some money out. I got the money and the receipt then left my ATM card in the machine. The good news is that the bank left me a message saying that they had my card. I don't know how I forgot to get my card.

My dry fire has been centered around aspects of the coming match. I've been doing a lot of reloads, draws and box to box drills along with a few briefcase starts. I am also using a lot of steel targets in my dry fire spread out over an entire wall in the basement of my district. I wanted to get some live fire in (and still might) before I leave on Friday.

Good luck Dan, cant wait to here how things go. BTW I am going to try and get 30 or 40 on the elliptical before the next MRPC match. Wanna see if you can beat me on the calorie counter? :roflol:

Addict

Good luck Dan, cant wait to here how things go. BTW I am going to try and get 30 or 40 on the elliptical before the next MRPC match. Wanna see if you can beat me on the calorie counter? :roflol:

Addict

Not the way I've been eating lately. I need to get back to my eating plan ASAP. If not I feel like I'm just holding where I am instead of making headway.

Heavy sigh, why is it no one wants to go to the gym at some ungodly hour of the morning.... :rolleyes: . Best thing I did for the weight loss I have had over the last 3 months is giving up the simple sugars and uping the protein intake. Didnt know that Steve was still inside me!

Addict

Well, Area 6 was a great as it always is. Problem was, I wasn't even close to my best. I had a real problem on a simple classifier type stage which ended my first day with 7 mikes. On the last day and the last stage of the match, Field of steele II, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 6 feet. After going through 4 mags and not even moving 2 positions I gave up. Turns out both my front and rear sights had drifted. The front sight was nearly off of the slide. That was the end of the match for me. But maybe I should go back to the drive in. We were making great time and stopped to get something to eat. When we came back out my car wouldn't start. We called Enterprise and they sent a guy to pick us up so we could rent one. That added about 3 hours to our trip and we didn't get to see any of the stages or eat the BBQ on Friday. After the match was over we were on the way home and I got a phone call from my sister who told me I needed to go see Grandma as soon as I could because she was in bad shape. I told her I would go the next day to see her. Less than a half hour later my sister called back and informed me that she had passed. This lady was the greatest ever! You would never go without in her house. She kept mobile and mentally capable until she passed. My Grandma was 92 years old but was the hub of this little family. She will be missed beyond all measure. My thanks to the Area 6 crew and to my squad. I had a great time despite all of my problems. I may not have won anything but I took a lot home with me.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma Dan. I buried mine on my 16th birthday and it was the best present anyone could have given me. When my Grandpa died she mourned herself to death. On that day she got to go join him.

I enjoyed shooting with you. Sorry about the "cop picking", I'm the same way in person I am on here. Sucks your sights started drifting out on you, but you shot a solid match. Look forward to shooting again with you in the future!

:cheers:

Dang Dan that was a rough weekend. Condolences re: your grandmother. They say trouble comes in threes, looks like you had your helping all in a couple days. Get those sights secured for the classifyer match!

Addict

What a great looking day! I went out to the police range and got a few hundred rounds off working on some week and strong hand shooting, movement from box to box with a reload and some precision shooting from 50 feet. I also got in 30 minutes at the gym. Now I need to mow the lawn before the neighbors kill me. We have a classifier match this Sunday at MRPC and I plan to be there on Saturday to help set those up. I also found out today that they have an opening at our firearms training unit. I will put in for it but don't know if they already have someone in mind for the position. Hey, All they can do is tell me NO. What a great job that would be! Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Only down side is I would take a pay cut. With no court time I would have to work details to make up the difference. I'm done crying over the Area 6 match that I really messed up so now it is back to work. I want to get to the point where I am consistant with all of the stages I shoot. I had a couple of really good stages, some I did ok and some I just blew.

We have a classifer match tomorrow at MRPC so I'll be going over elements of those stages tonight in dry fire. I'll be working on some strong and weak hand shooting, going prone and to one knee, reloads from a shelf and one shot transitions. I understand PB is going to be there and I have something for him:

post-9882-1240695334_thumb.jpg

Dan, you uploaded the wrong pic. Lemmie fix your last post for you:

We have a classifer match tomorrow at MRPC so I'll be going over elements of those stages tonight in dry fire. I'll be working on some strong and weak hand shooting, going prone and to one knee, reloads from a shelf and one shot transitions. I understand PB is going to be there and I have something for him:

photo0188bz.jpg

Well, I called the blue egyptian out and he back down. He only shot 4 of our six classifiers at our match and does that before all the other shooters even start. I guess I'll just have to put him on the spot in front of everyone at a major where he can't escape. I am going to be getting back to work getting ready for the Indiana sectional and working on elements of that match. As long as the weather holds out I should be able to go to one or two more locals and get in some live fire at my range several times before that match.