Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Classifier Master Pace Breakdown

vincent

Shooting the Classifier for me has been an exercise in frustration since I first began shooting IDPA in '99.

I have never shot the Classifier better than mediocre EX in any division. I have only moved up at matches. I'm SSP MA, ESP EX. Some call me a sandbagger because I won't move myself up in ESP, but honestly I haven't put much time into that division. Only last year did I become half-way serious about it, in between USPSA matches (Prod B, Lim. B).

Shot the Classifier today. Here are the results:

Stage One

S1: 2.59

S2: 2.74

S3: 2.78

S4: 5.86

S5: 3.47

S6: 7.03

S7: 4.38

5PD = 2.5

Total: 31.35

Stage Two

S1: 4.11

S2: 3.96

S3: 8.49

S4: 4.88

11PD = 5.5

Total: 26.94

Stage 3

S1: 15.17

S2: 17.55

S3: 6.10

4PD = 2.00

Total: 40.82

Total PD: 20

Match Total: 99.11, 10 points off of MA. Guess I need to shoot the 1st and 2nd stages faster, and the 2nd Stage with fewer points down. Maybe I just need to shoot the whole match faster, with less concern for points down. Maybe I need a different gun? I shot my G17, which is my SSP gun. Only difference is a magwell.

Hmmmmm.

I don't practice the Classifier at all, as I said I only have moved up at matches. Now with seemingly fewer EX and MA class shooters coming to matches, I don't know when I'm gonna bump.

:(:(

Andy C.

Edited by andrewcolglazier

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

I thought I would give this one a bump to the top. I shoot the classifier once, maybe twice a year tops. In the last three years, my performance on it has been rolling between 99 and 103, sometimes a little quicker with more points down, sometimes a little slower with fewer points down. I shoot CDP exclusively.

So, I see no improvement in my ability to shoot the classifier; however, my ability to shoot well in matches has gone up dramatically in the last year or two. I had several major match wins this year, but due to the nature of CDP, never beat enough experts and masters combined to move up by rule.

Little wonder. I have zero opportunity to practice drills. Matches are my practice. I shoot two each week. IDPA, Steel, and USPSA. Among my peers and my betters, I am now officially known as a sand bagger, although I'm not. I see all of my shortcomings in clear focus and I always try to shoot my best. I neither sand nor grand bag.

I shot the classifier yesterday and had a "normal" performance. 102. I went into it with a goal of shooting a 90 clean. Of course it wasn't clean. Stage 1 - 5pd, stage 2 - 6pd, and stage 3 - 14 pd. T1 was pretty sloppy on stage 3. And, obviously, I see now in retrospect that my zero down goal slowed me down.

I know what to do when shooting drills. Faster draw, better grip (more support hand), better index, rely more on the grip and index for the second shot than on a crisp second sight picture on the close targets. Yada, yada, yada.

I'm venting. I need to start practicing shooting drills somehow. Thanks for listening.

edited for spelling

Edited by Steve J

• 2 weeks later...

Good post got a lot out of it. Here is the beginners take on the classifier course of fire.

Am a long time rifle competitor not a bad shot, generally in the top third or so local matches sometimes place or even win one. Lately just shooting offhand rifle matches. Gave IDPA a try at my sons recomendaton last November. Seemed to me it would help one of my offhand hang up's seeing the correct sight picture and not breaking the shot promptly. From rifle match shooting I have a good idea of how to take something break it down into parts and make gains.

Anyway shot a few local matches then tried the classifier. Never been much of a pistol shot and had to rummage around for something to shoot. Used a BHP and Klutzed the mag changes as well as many points down on stage 3. Think the time was 210 or so. Tried it again with a Colt Commander and hung up with a couple of stovepipe jams. same time same problems. Sat back and put a stop watch on other guys shooting the stages and they were a whole lot faster on the stages than me. Not to mention accucary was better too.

One of the local good shots suggested I take the classifier course of fire break it down into parts and work on it as a training exercise. And buy a timer to see what I am doing. Also said forget about the antiques and get a new plastic 9 mm.

It's worked pretty good, have a baseline that includes all basic pistol skills. Don't have them all down pat yet still have trouble with stage 3 misses but it's a lot better. Expect next time the club holds the classifer match I will be much better.

Meantime have been shooting the monthly matches. My take is the IDPA match is a game, some people shoot the game better than others. Skill sets are very important but you still have to be able to play the game. Sort of like a good driving range golfer that can't put it together on the course.

Boats

Agreed on the game statements. Luckily, not many of us will actually play the real course ...

But I popped in here to protest the declaration of the bhp as an antique. Sure is an older gun, but it continues to be widely used, and there's nothing to keep you from shooting a master time with that pistol. You dropped points and futzed a reload or two ... you seem like the kind of guy that will drop those problems quickly.

But, if new plastic is what you want, I'm not here to dissuade you. Just don't call the BHP an antique!!!! :)

And yea, I have a special place in my heart for them pistola's !

Good topic,

I generally shoot the classifier once a quarter as a gauge of progress. When I first started competition (idpa) in the 90's my first classifier score was 99 seconds. I stayed at 99 seconds for a couple months. I then went a few months without shooting a classifier. I concentrated heavily on refining and economizing my techniques. The next classifier I was at 79 seconds iirc. I continued to refine the idea of being smooth as possible with very little wasted motion. Before I stopped being competitive and doing nationals I was routinely doing mid 60's and it is not a big deal.

I look at the classifier like it truly is. A series of simple drills strung together in separate stages. I strive to have -0- down in stages 1 and 2. Stage 3 is make or break for most shooters as that is about the only challenging part of the classifier. Anyone can shoot fast and accurate close in, but the accuracy part is where an average shooter will have trouble in idpa. I generally drop 5-10 points at stage 3 (most likely more in my current state, ha).

Like Matt said above, the classifier has just about everything. Where people mess up is allowing a higher lever of tension to affect them in normal matches than in a classifier. The same way many lower level uspsa GM's tend to run certain classifier stages into the ground to get a GM card, then in match situations you see them beaten handily by A, B class shooters. People get comfortable shooting these set parameters. Maybe they tend to shoot classifiers with friends they are too comfortable with?

This is an issue of mindset I would say. The challenge for people who might have trouble transferring their classifier mindset tension level to a regular match would be one of controlling that tension. I have noticed some people are simply unable to do this in front of strangers. Excellent shooters do not have this problem.

Eh, I just wish bullets did not cost so much these days.

Sorry about the BHP comment it was advice given not my personal opinion. I like that pistol and have owned a few over the years. Problem is to shoot it competitvely I would have to alter it, sights. saftey. and trigger job. Then there is the Magazine saftey, If removed it clearly disqualifies the pistol from IDPA competion. I understand it's not generaly enforced but I try to follow rules pretty strict. Altering would make it less desirable to own in my eyes. Improve my skill sets in the classifer and I think I could do OK in ESP even with the limitations. Localy not many people shoot that class anyway.

Boats