Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Classifier Master Pace Breakdown

vincent

Kyle not bad for a newbie in idpa :)

Congrats to those shooting master scores, it isn't an easy accomplishment.

I also believe Dirtypool 40 hit it on the head. Low master (shooting around a 90-95 on the classifier) will make B class in USPSA I have done this and know MANY other IDPA shooters that did. 3 of which are members on this forum.

Just a thought. I know of a few guys who can shoot the classifier to theri ability, on the last string shoot 5 shots, lay their gun down. wait for 30 seconds. and fire the final shot and STILL make master.... i really think we need a new classificaiton or to atleast update these!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practicing the IDPA classifier is fantastic practice for any of the shooting games. It covers just about anything you will run into: draw, reload, slide lock reload, tac load, shooting on the move, weak hand, strong hand, its all in there. Whats really cool is you can establish a baseline score and improve from there. You can record your strings and know where you need to improve.

sometimes noted.... USPSA shooters will have the tendency to shoot a little lower on the 3rd stage ,due to the difference of the scoring circle as to the oblong square on an uspsa target...look at where the circle is on an IDPA target as to an USPSA target

You can record your strings and know where you need to improve.

It is interesting that you mention this. I shot the classifier in practice today just to get a baseline of where I am and what I need to work on. I found that on the left most target and the center target I was pretty good but on the right hand target I was a bit erratic on all of the strings of fire. IIRC I was down a total of 6 points for the left and center targets for the entire classifier and down 13 on the right hand target. Now I just have to figure out what it means.

Probably means you are aiming on the first 2 targets, knowing you hit them because you are calling your shots, then shooting 'at' the 3rd target cause you think you can just throw lead downrange and not aim cause you hit the first 2. (I used to do this a LOT). :D

It is interesting that you mention this. I shot the classifier in practice today just to get a baseline of where I am and what I need to work on. I found that on the left most target and the center target I was pretty good but on the right hand target I was a bit erratic on all of the strings of fire. IIRC I was down a total of 6 points for the left and center targets for the entire classifier and down 13 on the right hand target. Now I just have to figure out what it means.

I have the opposite tendency. My left hand target is consistently worse.

Couple of variables at play, and you could isolate them to see if you could figure it out, if you care enough to do so. Targets are different heights, might be the order that you shoot them in. Might have to do with your stance.

Given the choice, I tend to shoot right to left. Dunno what matters, tho it also wouldn't surprise me that now that I'm aware I may concentrate a bit more when I'm on that target. Guess we'll find out sometime next spring ...

I am right handed i also shoot left to right, given the choice because our eyes are trained to go that way (reading) that we do from 4-5 yrs and up. I would first look at your feet, does your stance allow equal movement to all targets? (toes of feet pointing to outside edges of target arrays) are your hips transitioning your index from target to target? and lastly are you following through on that last target, that was/is my biggest problem.

Good luck in your quest!

I agree that the classifier is good practice because it incorporates almost everything that we do in IDPA. As Mathew said, it gives a good benchmark as to how we are doing. The only downside is that with enough practice at the classifier, you will find yourself shooting master on the classifier but at a match you will be competing against Sharpshooters. That's just the nature of IDPA.

I have said this before, but I do not think shooting the classifier is a bad thing...as with any practice session, it should reveal what your weaknesses are and allow you to fine tune that part of your game...when you can consistently shoot Master on the classifier with no real weaknesses, you should be able to compete with the Master shooters in IDPA anywhere...it worked for me... :P

First Time (first ever, in CDP) (May):

(I don't have the breakdown of points)

Total 170.75

MM

Second Time (initial classifier in SSP) (June):

My friend and I drove 4 hours hoping to make SS, then four hours back

40.40 - 8.5 (17 down) = 48.90

30.53 - 7.0 (14 down) = 37.53

45.81 - 21.5 (43 down) = 67.31

All 3 of us fumbled the mag on the reload on the third stage

Total 153.74

MM (missed SS by 1.01 sec)

Third Time (SSP) (November):

32.00 - 8.5 (19 down) = 41.50

24.41 - 7.0 (20 down) = 34.41

44.10 - 21.0 (42 down - 3 misses) = 65.10

Total 141.01

SS

Keep going buddy...you will get there...

Yuo need to shoot the first third in about 24++ and the 2nd third in about 25++ giving you plenty of room for dropped points on stage 3....then you are there

:P

Edited by tightloop

I also agree that practicing the classifier is good practice. You really need to put the timer on and test whether you are faster right to left or left to right. I'm right handed and had been told it was faster to go left to right. So, that's what I did for a long time. Then I ran a bunch of three target drills from 15 yards going both l - r and r - l. I found out I was on average .5 seconds faster going from right to left. I also had better points that way. Now when I can I shoot that way. It really helps shooting around the right side of cover in IDPA now.

sometimes noted.... USPSA shooters will have the tendency to shoot a little lower on the 3rd stage ,due to the difference of the scoring circle as to the oblong square on an uspsa target...look at where the circle is on an IDPA target as to an USPSA target

A trick I used when starting out was to use tape to put a set of "cross-hairs" right on the center of the Alpha/Down-0. Shooters that aren't used to the targetw will often go for center-of-mass...which can put their hits low.

My last IDPA classifier was SSP, 88.32

I just switched to USPSA and after my first 4 classifers I'm now a solid C shooter.

It kind of hurt my feelings :(

But each month in the USPSA matches I finish with the A/M class shooters.

I'm just a bad test taker

:)

SGT

SGT, I had the same problems for quite some time, i spent what seemed like forever getting out of B class then a year in A class USPSA because of switching divisions and bad, very bad classifier perofrmance. I would get excited, nervous and all that push it on the classifier and crash badly. Shoot the classifier like any other stage of the match. Practicing standing static drills does help a good bit in speed and clean motion for classifiers.

• 1 month later...

here's my small contribution from 12/24/05

SSP (w/2d Gen G17 and WW "white box" ammo from wally world).

Stage 1

s1=2.65

s2=2.51

s3=2.33

s4=4.65

s5=3.52

s6=6.9

s7=5.61

PD(1)=+0.50

T=28.67

Stage 2

s1=3.80

s2=3.82

s3=9.95(slide didn't lock back)

s4=5.29

PD(5)=+2.50

T=25.36

Stage 3

s1=13.10

s2=15.38

s3=6.63

PD(17)=+8.50

T=43.61

Total=97.64

just barely breaking into SSP Master by 1+ second!

Edited by Mark Perez

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Like Matt said it is great practice, don't practice the classifier to be good at the classifier but to improve all skills, I shoot it every week as practice.

SSP/ESP----Best 69.80 total, Av--74sec total

ESR----------Best a few weeks ago 79.70 total, Av--84 total

SSR---------working on it, Av 80's.

Hi All,

Like Matt said it is great practice, don't practice the classifier to be good at the classifier but to improve all skills, I shoot it every week as practice.

SSP/ESP----Best 69.80 total, Av--74sec total

ESR----------Best a few weeks ago 79.70 total, Av--84 total

SSR---------working on it, Av 80's.

D2006 Great times! Wow. And...Welcome to the Forums. :D

(Who is this masked man?) :huh::lol:

Here's mine from 12-23-05. Pretty nice Christmas present to make MA, if just barely.

Glock 34 with KKM fairly tight barrel...

Stage 1

s1=2.15

s2=1.95 (just a bit too fast, missed head)

s3=2.12

s4=4.76

s5=2.85

s6=5.67

s7=3.59

PD(9)=+4.50

T=27.59

Stage 2

s1=3.76

s2=3.58

s3=7.81(really go to work onthis)

s4=4.51

PD(17)=+8.50

T=28.16

Stage 3

s1=13.69(missed one, cr@p!)

s2=13.69(no not a mistake)

s3=5.12

PD(19)=+9.50

T=42.00

Total=97.75

45 total points down really sucks but I still made it. Now where is my SV?