Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock River 9mm .vs Bushmaster 9mm

cheers623

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking at both the Rock River Arms and Bushmaster 9mm Ar-15 Carbines. They are close enough in price that it is not a deciding factor for me. Instead I am looking for input about reliability, overall quality of construction, and finally, magazine design and reliability. I am not interested in the Olympic arms stuff as i have had MANY bad experiences in the past and so won't consider giving them any more of my hard earned cash. Has anyone had first hand experience with both? Either? I have read most of the posts about 9mm AR-15s on this forum and this has helped but looking for specifics about these 2 rifles. I am going to use this rifle for indoor practice and plinking, the occasional local tac-rifle match etc....

Input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

Chris

DVC

I am a pretty big colt fan, so i chose the 6450, and it has been perfect. If you want more info to help you decide, you should look at AR-15.com . They have a pistol caliber section of their forum. Alot of good stuff there

In the way of a suggestion, since you say you have the desire to purchase this for indoor practice, have you considered a 22LR upper instead of the 9mm? You will save enough on just the ammo to buy the thing. Nordic Components is coming out with one soon that if it is like their other products, will spank everything else on the market.

In the way of a suggestion, since you say you have the desire to purchase this for indoor practice, have you considered a 22LR upper instead of the 9mm? You will save enough on just the ammo to buy the thing. Nordic Components is coming out with one soon that if it is like their other products, will spank everything else on the market.

+1 on this.

Get the .223 and the .22 conversion kit.

"Rifles are rifles and pistols are pistols and their purpose is for you to use them to fight your way to a rifle."

JK

I have a colt leightweight sporter and an extra Sabre upper (flat top ) both in 9mm and i must say that shooting a 9mm is fun but if you want to train with it like it was an .223 i would go with the .22 conversion.

The 9mm bounces a lot due to the moving mass off the heavy bolt and buffer ,on the other hand it is fun to shoot plates with it :rolleyes:

Edited by patrickbeijer

I too would go with thr Rock River for 9mm, I shoot with a guy that has a Bushmaster carbon 9mm the receiver broke back in the area of where the stock mounts to it I mean broke in half and from what I understand they are giving him alot of bull about fixing it or even replacing it heck he offered to buy another receiver they wont even shell him one of those

Thanks guys for the input. This is what I need to hear. I like the idea and looks of the Bushy but have always been a little skeptical of the carbon receivers. I remember many problems friends had with the carbon 15 before Bushmaster bought them out and wondered how much they improved after that. It seems that the 9mm AR can be problematic and maybe the carbon receiver could complicate things more? I have a Bushy .223 that is great with regards to fit, finish, and reliability, that is why I have looked at their 9mm rifles. However, a traditional aluminum upper seems to be a more robust platform. One thing though, I hate to admit but I have been looking on the AR15.com site and there has been mention of many problems with earlier RRA 9mms. Is this still the case. I am always a little wary of someone complaining OR raving about a guns reliability when they usually have only shot a few hundred rounds thru it and make a judgement i.e. "it's great!!! or it's crap!!!" The people on this board, myself included, usually shoot more in one practice session than most other shooters fire in a 6 months of range trips!!! I appreciate the input and please keep it coming if there is any more wisdom on the 9mm AR 15 subject.

Best,

Chris

DVC

My Rock River has appx 5500 rounds thru it with no problems. I use PMags that hold 32 rounds instead of the metal Uzi style mags. The PMags can be bought around $13.00 ea wholesale. My Bushmaster and Colt have approximately 2500 rounds thru each of them.

I just did a search and only found posts about Nordic's 10/22 based system. You're talking about a full AR upper in 22LR from Nordic? Is there a link to any discussion or info on this? Thanks