Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjusting for primers

I have just gotten my new 550 and am nervous( for some reason) about setting it up . I am as far as setting up the primer system and have stopped.

Is it possible to use old removed primers when trying to get the system set up so I am not risking a primer popping if it is not set up properly ???

Thanks

TCF

Primers are cheap at Powder Valley. Setting up you Dillon is not that hard, just read the instructions and call Dillon if you have problems. You will love it. I think you will be surprised at how well you do and how easy it is to make reloads.

Setting up you Dillon is not that hard, just read the instructions and call Dillon if you have problems. You will love it. I think you will be surprised at how well you do and how easy it is to make reloads.

+1. Start loading! ;)

A primer is REALLY hard to set off in a 550. It's actually much easier and safer than you're thinking.

be

Setting up you Dillon is not that hard, just read the instructions and call Dillon if you have problems. You will love it. I think you will be surprised at how well you do and how easy it is to make reloads.

+1. Start loading! ;)

A primer is REALLY hard to set off in a 550. It's actually much easier and safer than you're thinking.

be

In 14 years of reloading I finally lit one off in my 550 this summer.

Not a huge deal but I was happy to have my safety glasses on!

FM

Edited by Front Man

This actually reminds me that I was going to ask about adjusting the primer assembly. My press has less than 500 rounds through it and everything measures correctly according to the instructions, but about 10% of my primers look slightly deformed after they are seated.

I'm using WSP primers, so it's not because they are too soft, but there are what I can only describe as dimples in some of the primers. Haven't seen it effect them so far, they still go bang.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Graham Smith

This actually reminds me that I was going to ask about adjusting the primer assembly. My press has less than 500 rounds through it and everything measures correctly according to the instructions, but about 10% of my primers look slightly deformed after they are seated.

I'm using WSP primers, so it's not because they are too soft, but there are what I can only describe as dimples in some of the primers. Haven't seen it effect them so far, they still go bang.

Any suggestions?

Graham, check to see if you have any foriegn material on the primer punch. A flake of powder on the punch, believe it or not, will leave an imprint on the primer.

Bronson7

Any suggestions?

Graham, check to see if you have any foriegn material on the primer punch. A flake of powder on the punch, believe it or not, will leave an imprint on the primer.

Bronson7

+1

I checked before, but double checked last night. There is no foreign material on the punch. Smooth as a baby's butt.

Is it possible to push the primer in too far or too aggressively so that it bottoms out on the edges and starts to crumple a bit?